Chicken Tortilla Soup

bandgroupie

Chicken Tortilla Soup:

1. 1 can of Cream of Chicken soup
  2. 1 can of Cheddar Cheese soup
  3. 1/2 can of MILD enchilada sauce*
  4. 1 can of skim milk

Mix ingredients in saucepan and heat on stove, stirring until the Cream of Chicken and Cheese soups melt and combine well with the other ingredients.

*The original recipe calls for 1 can of MILD enchilada sauce but I would urge you to start with just 1/2 the can and only add the other 1/2 if it does not taste too spicy.

I also used store brand soups. They were cheaper and I didn't miss any taste! If your family is eating with you, offer them some tortilla chips to crush and put on top of their soup.

This recipe was provided by my niece who made this soup for her husband during his postop surgery and she said this is what got him through it!

If anyone knows why this recipe would not be good during the postop "creamy soup" stage, please let us know. Otherwise, ENJOY!!!

Careful with the enchilada sauce - remember MILD or only 1/2 can!!!!!

It is freakin good :):):) H O N E S T !!!

You are an angel!! That sounds fanfreakentastic!! I think that I can start soups tomorrow...I will have to check. Thank you for the great recipe!!!

><' Brook

Glad you liked it!

I went out to lunch today at a Mexican restaurant and ordered their torilla soup. There's wasn't as good as what I made from the recipe!

I'm making it again tomorrow night and am going to add a tablespoon of sour cream to it......

I made this soup for breakfast and it was just yummy!!! Kicking off my soup phase with a bang!!! :D

• 1 month later...

This was GREAT! I had it with the whole can of enhilada sauce. I also crunched up (and chewed really well) some tortilla chips and added sour cream.

In case you decide what you'll cook based on pics (like I do, haha):

It made 4 of these size servings. :)

100_1573.jpg

This was GREAT! I had it with the whole can of enhilada sauce. I also crunched up (and chewed really well) some tortilla chips and added sour cream.

100_1573.jpg

Dude.. are you like a professional chef or what?? Dang girl!

Chicken Tortilla Soup:

1. 1 can of Cream of Chicken soup
  2. 1 can of Cheddar Cheese soup
  3. 1/2 can of MILD enchilada sauce*
  4. 1 can of skim milk

Mix ingredients in saucepan and heat on stove, stirring until the Cream of Chicken and Cheese soups melt and combine well with the other ingredients.

*The original recipe calls for 1 can of MILD enchilada sauce but I would urge you to start with just 1/2 the can and only add the other 1/2 if it does not taste too spicy.

I also used store brand soups. They were cheaper and I didn't miss any taste! If your family is eating with you, offer them some tortilla chips to crush and put on top of their soup.

This recipe was provided by my niece who made this soup for her husband during his postop surgery and she said this is what got him through it!

If anyone knows why this recipe would not be good during the postop "creamy soup" stage, please let us know. Otherwise, ENJOY!!!

OooOoo I know what I'm having tomorrow! Thanks! Uhm, colour me stupid but what's a tortilla chip? I'm gonna make enough for Hubby too. Is that like Fritos or those triangles you dip in salsa in Mexican restaurants? I'm having a serious blonde moment here! Most be the total lack of protein the last week :wacko:

• Like 1

I had this soup for supper tonight and it was FABULOUS! (Only had a 1/4 cup but I can die happy now) Hubby even ate two bowls with tortilla chips and LOVED it. I thought for sure it was going to be a battle but he dove right in. Thanks for sharing. I cannot believe how fast and easy it is to make.

• Like 1

100_1573.jpg

When you ate the tortillas did they go down okay, I am in the creamy soup stage and I am even afraid to eat anything chunky. I know I can chew more solid foods like crazy and the surgeon said my band is quite open, but I am afraid to risk it. I don't think I will, after reading about the PB horror today, I am much more cautious.

Were they good? I love tortilla chips w/salsa..yummy!!!

Cathy

When you ate the tortillas did they go down okay, I am in the creamy soup stage and I am even afraid to eat anything chunky. I know I can chew more solid foods like crazy and the surgeon said my band is quite open, but I am afraid to risk it. I don't think I will, after reading about the PB horror today, I am much more cautious.

Were they good? I love tortilla chips w/salsa..yummy!!!

Cathy

I let the soup soak into them so they were more soggy and then I took little bites and really broke them into tiny pieces before swallowing. Everything went down fine. :) Even w/out the chips, the soup is still real good.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all - silly question perhaps - is "enchilada sauce" the same as salsa? Or taco sauce? Or picante sauce?

This soup looks so good and I just looked for "enchilada sauce" at the supermarket but didn't find it.

Thanks! Only a few more days till I get creamy liquids - can't wait!! :wacko:

Oh - one more question. Do you think surgery day counts as day 1 of the liquid diet? My surgery was before noon. Or does it start the next day?

Thanks!!

Hi all - silly question perhaps - is "enchilada sauce" the same as salsa? Or taco sauce? Or picante sauce?

This soup looks so good and I just looked for "enchilada sauce" at the supermarket but didn't find it.

Thanks! Only a few more days till I get creamy liquids - can't wait!! :wacko:

Oh - one more question. Do you think surgery day counts as day 1 of the liquid diet? My surgery was before noon. Or does it start the next day?

Thanks!!

The enchilada sauce comes in a thinner soup-like can. I think it's near the taco shells. But it is different than salsa... it reminds me of spicy tomato soup.

I counted the day OF surgery as day 1. I only had liquids that day and it's a 21 day liquid diet. :D

The enchilada sauce comes in a thinner soup-like can. I think it's near the taco shells. But it is different than salsa... it reminds me of spicy tomato soup.

I counted the day OF surgery as day 1. I only had liquids that day and it's a 21 day liquid diet. :D

Thanks!! I think I'll try a bigger supermarket - and I'll check by the taco shells - thanks for the description!

And yay - I'm glad to hear you think I can count surgery day as day one - 1 day closer to this soup!!

:lb21:

Not to burst your bubble but technically speaking (from a nurse who knows) surgery day is day 0 and then the next day is officially post-op day number 1. :(( This is how it's counted in the hospitals I've worked at and currently do. You can be exact if you wish and use your actual end time of surgery for the time to change your days. So, if you had surgery at 11:00 then approx. 11:45 (Dr. Hottie O. is so quick) you can have your full liquids. Sorry for the downer :((