Chicken Tortilla Soup

bandgroupie

Not to burst your bubble but technically speaking (from a nurse who knows) surgery day is day 0 and then the next day is officially post-op day number 1. :(( This is how it's counted in the hospitals I've worked at and currently do. You can be exact if you wish and use your actual end time of surgery for the time to change your days. So, if you had surgery at 11:00 then approx. 11:45 (Dr. Hottie O. is so quick) you can have your full liquids. Sorry for the downer :((

Oh rats!! :girl_cray2:

Well I can wait another 1/3 day.

Thanks for keeping me honest!

:)

Not to burst your bubble but technically speaking (from a nurse who knows) surgery day is day 0 and then the next day is officially post-op day number 1. :(( This is how it's counted in the hospitals I've worked at and currently do. You can be exact if you wish and use your actual end time of surgery for the time to change your days. So, if you had surgery at 11:00 then approx. 11:45 (Dr. Hottie O. is so quick) you can have your full liquids. Sorry for the downer :((

I don't get it. :blink:

I ate on Wednesday this past week (late morning).... was that not the right day for us, Julie??? I counted the day of our surgery, the 4th as day 1 so Tuesday was day 21 and ate on Wednesday. I hope that's what you did, nursey girl. LOL

Yup, Julie is right...I had surgery on the 19th and Dr. Miranda gave me the 10th of July as the day I can eat food which is 21 days from the 20th if you start with the 20th so day 1 is the day after surgery.

If you had surgery on June 19th, the 19th was day 1 and you are on liquids for 21 days so the first day you could eat would be July 10th.

There's 2 ways to look at it.

1) 21 days of eating only liquids, counting day of surgery as day 1 and then eating the day after the 21st day on liquids

2) you can eat 21 days afterwards if you start counting the day after as day 1

They are both saying the same thing. ;)

Wow I didn't realize I would get so many great comments. :wacko: :-? You are right Yorkiemommy in how you broke it down 2 ways. Yes you ate on the right day being wednesday the 25th.

It doesn't matter I guess how you count it just so that you eat on the right day. ;)

Love ya both from the nurse :girl_hospital: who knows (just kidding)

Just want to say thanks Dawnie for this recipe!!

I've made it twice now. The first time I only added a teeny bit (about 1/4 cup) of the enchilada sauce because my tummy was still kinda sensitive, but the second time I added twice that.

So yummy and satisfying - and that little kick just makes all the difference.

Thanks!!

:i-m_so_happy:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest CaraMBA09
Chicken Tortilla Soup:

1. 1 can of Cream of Chicken soup
  2. 1 can of Cheddar Cheese soup
  3. 1/2 can of MILD enchilada sauce*
  4. 1 can of skim milk

Mix ingredients in saucepan and heat on stove, stirring until the Cream of Chicken and Cheese soups melt and combine well with the other ingredients.

*The original recipe calls for 1 can of MILD enchilada sauce but I would urge you to start with just 1/2 the can and only add the other 1/2 if it does not taste too spicy.

I also used store brand soups. They were cheaper and I didn't miss any taste! If your family is eating with you, offer them some tortilla chips to crush and put on top of their soup.

This recipe was provided by my niece who made this soup for her husband during his postop surgery and she said this is what got him through it!

If anyone knows why this recipe would not be good during the postop "creamy soup" stage, please let us know. Otherwise, ENJOY!!!

I made this tonight...BUT added the full can of enchilada sauce AND added a tablespoon of fire roasted green chilies ( I LOVE spicy)...then I added a 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar-jack cheese and a couple cubes of mexican queso fresco.

THIS IS FABULOUS!

It was a bit rich towards the end, so I would not recommend going hog wild on it, but overall, a great recipe!!

cara

Thanks Michele for suggesting it. I have made the Heavenly Cheddar recipe that I literally had to dig for on the forum. It was Yummy made a double batch tonight and 1 batch of Tomato Basil Homemade soup.

If your gonna eat, might as well as, be something tasty more than just a can!

Cheers,

Tara

• 3 weeks later...
Guest CaraMBA09
Chicken Tortilla Soup:

1. 1 can of Cream of Chicken soup
  2. 1 can of Cheddar Cheese soup
  3. 1/2 can of MILD enchilada sauce*
  4. 1 can of skim milk

Mix ingredients in saucepan and heat on stove, stirring until the Cream of Chicken and Cheese soups melt and combine well with the other ingredients.

*The original recipe calls for 1 can of MILD enchilada sauce but I would urge you to start with just 1/2 the can and only add the other 1/2 if it does not taste too spicy.

I also used store brand soups. They were cheaper and I didn't miss any taste! If your family is eating with you, offer them some tortilla chips to crush and put on top of their soup.

This recipe was provided by my niece who made this soup for her husband during his postop surgery and she said this is what got him through it!

If anyone knows why this recipe would not be good during the postop "creamy soup" stage, please let us know. Otherwise, ENJOY!!!

I LOVE this soup! I lived on this and Kim2bSlim's potato soup recipe!

I added chopped chilis to it and then used a handblender to get it good and mixed up. this soup is good for anyone on the creamy soup phase!

This sounds really yummy, have put it on my shopping list for next week. I think it would be really good with some chopped up green chile's in it too.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I made this tonight for dinner and OMG it is like a liquid taco! I used the full can of mild enchilada sauce. Then after I put it in the bowl I added some mexican blend shredded cheese, a scoop of sour cream and a teaspoon of red La Victoria taco sauce and it was AMAZING! I loved every bite and so did my hubby!

Thanks for the recipe I'll be making this again!!

You're welcome - glad you liked it!!

I made this tonight for dinner and OMG it is like a liquid taco! I used the full can of mild enchilada sauce. Then after I put it in the bowl I added some mexican blend shredded cheese, a scoop of sour cream and a teaspoon of red La Victoria taco sauce and it was AMAZING! I loved every bite and so did my hubby!

Thanks for the recipe I'll be making this again!!

• 9 months later...

Sorry to be the "party pooper" here but this receipe sounds full of fat <_< . I am suprised to read that some poeple actually add cheese and/or sour cream to this. My procedure date is 11/13/09 and I am preparing a list of items to purchase.

I was under the assumption that we really had to be careful about calorie & fat intake during the liquid phase b/c it is really easy to "drink" too many calories or too much fat and therefore gain weight instead of loose it. Was my assumtion incorrect?

What is the nutritional value of this receipe? How many servings does it make? Does any one have ideas or suggestions for a lite version?

Sorry to be the "party pooper" here but this receipe sounds full of fat <_< . I am suprised to read that some poeple actually add cheese and/or sour cream to this. My procedure date is 11/13/09 and I am preparing a list of items to purchase.

I was under the assumption that we really had to be careful about calorie & fat intake during the liquid phase b/c it is really easy to "drink" too many calories or too much fat and therefore gain weight instead of loose it. Was my assumtion incorrect?

What is the nutritional value of this receipe? How many servings does it make? Does any one have ideas or suggestions for a lite version?

Well cream of chicken soup does come in a low fat. Not sure about the cheese soup...or the enchi sauce. I think you will find that when you do get to the soup phase you are happy to eat food. Not to mention that you eat a serving size not the entire portion that you fix. Moderation is key. You have to look at the big picture.

Keep in mind you will eating 3 meals a day and drinking inbetween your meals.

Well cream of chicken soup does come in a low fat. Not sure about the cheese soup...or the enchi sauce. I think you will find that when you do get to the soup phase you are happy to eat food. Not to mention that you eat a serving size not the entire portion that you fix. Moderation is key. You have to look at the big picture.

Keep in mind you will eating 3 meals a day and drinking inbetween your meals.

Okay Angie, I guess since i have no nutritional value or serving size for this recipe I am going to have to go to the store and do some label reading before making it my own and come up with a healthy version. Thank you for the tip on the fat free cream of chicken (I so have to add that one to the shopping list).

• 4 weeks later...

Okay I did my homework on this recipe and here is what I came up with:

1 can 98% Fat Free Cream of Chicken = 200 Calories

1 can Cheddar Cheese = 250 calories

1 can enchilada sauce = 50 calories approx (depends on brand)

1 can of FAT FREE milk = 100 calories

So if I assume (I hate assuming) that this recipe serves 6 people (at 1 cup per person measured of course) then that would be 100 calories per serving.

I will make this tonight for the family and measure it out and report back.

Sorry about being so annal but I just spent a lot of money on this band and I need to be accountable for what goes in my stomache. I am sure many of you feel the same way and that is why I am posting this. I want to eat this recipe too but I want to modify it towards a healthy lifestyle.

Okay I did my homeowrk on this recipe and here is what I came up with:

1 can 98% Fat Free Cream of Chicken = 200 Calories

1 can Cheddar Cheese = 250 calories

1 can enchilada sauce = 50 calories approx (depends on brand)

1 can of FAT FREE milk = 100 calories

So if I assume (I hate assuming) that this recipe serves 6 people (at 1 cup per person measured of course) then that would be 100 calories per serving.

I will make this tonight for the family and measure it out and report back.

Sorry about being so annal but I just spent a lot of money on this band and I need to be accountable for what goes in my stomache. I am sure many of you feel the same way and that is why I am posting this. I want to eat this recipe too but I want to modify it towards a healthy lifestyle.

I made the lower fat version of this soup and it is great. Anyway, I logged into my WW on-line account and put the ingredients in the Recipe Builder feature using the FAT FREE MILK and the 98% FAT FREE CREAM OF CHICKEN and with these substitutions the recipe is a total of 4.5 servings for 124 calories per serving and worth 3 WW POINTS PER SERVING. Now that is something I could live with! :D

POINTS® Value: 3

Servings: 4.5

Preparation Time: 0 min

Cooking Time: 15 min

Level of Difficulty: Easy

Course: main meals

Ingredients

5 oz Las Palmas Enchilada sauce - medium

10 3/4 oz Campbell's Cheddar Cheese Soup

1 1/4 cup(s) fat-free skim milk

1 serving(s) Diced Green Chilies

10 3/4 oz Campbell's 98% Fat-Free Cream Of Chicken Soup

I served it to my boyfriend for dinner and he said it was the best thing I ever made. My 17 year old son used it as a wet topping to his microwavable burritos and he said they tasted great with it. I love the consistancy of it, which gives it some flexability. I totally plan on using this as a topping for hot dogs and hamburgers and even mixing it with some olive oil to use as a salad dressing. This is also great cold as a dip for chips for parties too.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

I just saw this recipe and I really want to try it, but don't have skim milk. Would it still be the same if I use soy milk or reg. milk.

thank you

Hi Genie,

I am sure it would taste the same but the calorie/fat count would be different. For example, I know skim milk is 90 calories a cup and I think 2% low fat is 120 calories per cup. Not sure about whole mile or soy. So just take that into account when you are making it. You might also want to try a half cup of regular milk with a half cup of water (I am sure it would not effect the taste at all).

• 3 weeks later...

I started my soups today (day 10-post op)with this recipe. I just want to say...I could kiss the lady who posted it. It is yummy in my tummy. I have not had any problems with the liquid phase, but it is nice to have something with a nice rich taste. Now if I can keep my hubby out of it.