Protein drink recipes

The Redhead

I'm on day 8 of the post-op. I can't stand creamy soups and I don't like instant potatoes. I was hoping to get some ideas for great tasting protein shakes. Any suggestions?

I'm on day 8 of the post-op. I can't stand creamy soups and I don't like instant potatoes. I was hoping to get some ideas for great tasting protein shakes. Any suggestions?

okie dokie.. here is a shake I used while on Atkins.. it sounds gross... tastes great...

Caroline's Awsume Low-Carb Shake

This is about *the* most popular shake recipe I've seen online. Caroline says, "It's rich and creamy and yummy and sweet and satisfying, and easier to make than Atkins ice cream.

I promise you won't taste any of the individual ingredients. It can serve as an occasional meal replacement.

Put in blender jar:

1/4 cup heavy cream

1/4 cup water

1/4 cup 2% cottage cheese: I strongly recommend Breakstone's or Knudsen's

1/4 cup pasteurized egg substitute, like "Eggbeaters" (I’ll use an egg)

1/4 teaspoon good quality sugar-free vanilla extract (you may need more of the cheap stuff)

1 tablespoon protein powder: whey, soy, egg, whatever you've got on hand

6 Equal tablets, crushed (Splenda or your favorite sweetener should be substituted! -- to taste)

1 cup crushed ice, or about 7 ice cubes

Cover and blend on low speed for a few seconds, then on high speed for about 30 seconds. When done it should be thick and smooth. You can add a touch more water if it's too thick to blend.

This makes a vanilla shake containing roughly 330 calories, 5 CARBS, 21 grams of protein and 25 grams of fat.

If you want/need a bigger shake, use 1/3 of a cup of egg, cheese, water and cream instead of 1/4 cup, and add 3 more ice cubes, 3 more Equal tablets (Splenda! or other sweetener of your choice) and another tablespoon of protein powder; that'll give you about 450 calories, 7 CARBS, 34 grams fat and 28 grams of protein.

**Variations: (each addition adds more CARBS, so count them up)!

AS packets: Add 0.9 carb for each packet you use. 1 packet = 2 tablets in sweetness but has about 5 times the carb content.

Coffee (***my absolute favorite***): add a half tablespoon of decaf Folgers' crystals or your favorite instant decaf. You can also substitute strong cold brewed decaf for the water. Adds 1 carb.

Strawberry: add 1/4 cup fresh ripe strawberries. Adds 2.6 CARBS/0.8 fiber.

Chocolate: add 1 tablespoon plain unsweetened cocoa. Adds 3 CARBS/ 1.5 fiber

Out of protein powder? It still tastes great but knocks the protein content down to only 14 grams.

If you are out of egg beaters, then make it without it.

It tastes "WONDERFUL"

The best thing in the world I found, whether banded or not is this wonderful GNC 100% whey protein powder, chocolate caramel flavor. But don't make it like the container says. Use 3 scoops, 3 cups of 2% milk and 7 ice cubes in the blender and you have the best ever protein packed milkshake. MMMMMMMMMMMMMM I love it! And can't tell it is protein, so good. In fact, I just now had some.

Mmmm... all sound great! Thanks for your help.

Do you think that adding vanilla extract or other flavorings might change the taste of the shakes? ...or is there a reason we shouldn't use these?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok... i got this recipe from a patient and Dr. Miranda approves. It sounds yummy!!

> 8 oz of nonfat milk

> 1 scoop 100% whey vanilla protein powder

> 1 tsp instant coffee/decaf or a tsp of caffeine okay?

> 1 TBS of sugar free French vanilla cappachinno..red box..got at

> Walmart a little ice..mix until blended! I let it sit in the fridge

> for a bit, because it gets really frothy.

> You can also use Nescafe Hazelnut.

Good luck!

I like Isopure Zero Carb with 50g of protein....it comes in several flavors like apple melon (my favorite), pineapple, orange banana, icy orange, fruit punch, cookies n cream, strawberry n cream...these are just a few....I like it more as the juice version rather than a cream version like slim fast. It just mixes with water. I get mine at Vitamin Shoppe, but I know GNC and Vitamin World also sell it as does the internet. Good luck

• 4 weeks later...
Mmmm... all sound great! Thanks for your help.

Do you think that adding vanilla extract or other flavorings might change the taste of the shakes? ...or is there a reason we shouldn't use these?

I love your Canadian Bandster label (or whatever they call it). Where did you get it? I'd love to add it to mine.

Signed,

About to be banded and proud to be Canadian! (Calgarian, Albertan!)

- Janet (1jmk)

Glad this post came back up because I have been making a really good protein shake!! It was actually recommended by Dr. Miranda. I hate protein, but this one is awesome! Especially for Post op!

1 to 1/2 C. 1% milk or Lactaid Milk

Protein Powder (however much you can handle)

2 T. Sugar Free Nestle Quik (Chocolate)

1/2 Banana

Ice

Blend in Blender.... AMAZING!!

• 4 weeks later...
I love your Canadian Bandster label (or whatever they call it). Where did you get it? I'd love to add it to mine.

Signed,

About to be banded and proud to be Canadian! (Calgarian, Albertan!)

- Janet (1jmk)

Janet, where are you girl?!