seeking experiences and information

My name is Robin and I am from the PNW. I have just gotten on the Band wagon this week and can't seem to get enough information about the lapband. I want to hear from you regarding why you chose the lapband vs bypass? Why you chose TJ vs States..? Insurance /Cheaper? Were you apprehensive about the procedure being done in a foreign country? When I first read about the procedure done in Mexico I was very excited. Then I looked at US places and they all made comments about the dangers of doing it outside the USA...And about the fills...Did those of you who opted not to go back to TJ find fill clinics in your area that would take you with out difficulties? My insurance does not cover this and I am darn tired of the diet yo-yo and want to fell better and take off this weight. THe lap band for me looked far less invasive and the cost in TJ was affordable. I am concerned about the follow up care and what it intails..Please share your experiences..Information...regrets and satidfactions with me. Did you always feel you were in competent hands? Was it a scary but pleasant adventure. Its should be a life changing event marked with memories of a new journey that requires a commitment and a will to change...How hard or easy has it been? Has anyone sought counseling to assist you as you work through your changes? You can write me here or at robinritter@hotmail.com if its to lengthy. Thank you all for any information you are sharing. I do appreciate it. Oh yes, one more thing..How long did it take to get your surgery scheduled once you made the decision?

Robin

I would be glad to discuss this if you would like to email me personally and then talk on the phone - it is too involved to type - I will say the best decision I ever made was to get my band and I used Dr Kuri in TJ - great experience, great doctor, fills have worked both in TJ and in California - I love it - have lost about 65 lbs and feel great! write me - rebncor@caldsl.com

Hi Robin,

I chose the lapband because the surgery is much less invasive and less expensive. It's also adjustable which is unique. I just had a baby with the band. When I was 3 months pregnant I had a total unfill so that I could eat regularly while pregnant. Now back to having a great fill and losing 1-3 lbs per week. I had always sworn I'd never even visit Mexico (long story) so yes I was apprehensive about TJ. But once I realized how experienced Dr. Ortiz was, as well as how many surgeries he's done and how many U.S. docs he'd trained, I knew it was OK. I live in Northern CA and no one in my area will do fills because I had the surgery in TJ. They said only in an emergency. But for me, I can fly to SD for $100 and it's actually cheaper anyway.

I have been really happy with my decision. My surgery was over a year and a half ago, but I didn't get fills right away and then of course got pregnant. So really I've only had about 5 months experience with a proper fill level and restriction. With my good restriction I have been steadily losing. I try to walk everyday and do some pilates a few times a week, but really just with eating less you tend to lose without too much exercise (in the beginning). The OCC staff are very knowledgable and great. I have not had a bad experience with any of them, from the customer care people to the surgeons. I have called once in the past one of the Drs. cell phone and got him right then (which would never happen here). I definitely feel that it is worth the $ and minor pain and would recommend the OCC anyday to anyone.

I am actually a psychotherapist (not currently though) so I think seeking counseling to aid in major life decisions is always a good idea!

Good luck and hope this helps!

Karen

Just spend 30 minutes reading the posts on this forum and you will get ALL of your questions answered, including that most of us had our surgery in Tijuana and our surgeons were Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Martinez and that we loved our experience :)

Seriously, there are so many patient testimonials that give you play by play of the whole banding experience and everyone's love for the staff at the Obesity COntrol Center.

Dive in!

My name is Robin and I am from the PNW. I have just gotten on the Band wagon this week and can't seem to get enough information about the lapband. I want to hear from you regarding why you chose the lapband vs bypass? Why you chose TJ vs States..? Insurance /Cheaper? Were you apprehensive about the procedure being done in a foreign country? When I first read about the procedure done in Mexico I was very excited. Then I looked at US places and they all made comments about the dangers of doing it outside the USA...And about the fills...Did those of you who opted not to go back to TJ find fill clinics in your area that would take you with out difficulties? My insurance does not cover this and I am darn tired of the diet yo-yo and want to fell better and take off this weight. THe lap band for me looked far less invasive and the cost in TJ was affordable. I am concerned about the follow up care and what it intails..Please share your experiences..Information...regrets and satidfactions with me. Did you always feel you were in competent hands? Was it a scary but pleasant adventure. Its should be a life changing event marked with memories of a new journey that requires a commitment and a will to change...How hard or easy has it been? Has anyone sought counseling to assist you as you work through your changes? You can write me here or at robinritter@hotmail.com if its to lengthy. Thank you all for any information you are sharing. I do appreciate it. Oh yes, one more thing..How long did it take to get your surgery scheduled once you made the decision?

Robin

Hi Robin,

Look in our discussions under "Patient Testimonials" and "Newly Banded" . You'll get a good feeling and understanding of exactly what your looking for. And by the way... that is Dr. Ortiz I'm hugging! (And I sooooo... didn't want to let go!!) lol

Robin

Hello Robin and welcome! I got the lapband #1 because it was less invasive. I did not want to reroute my innerds. I was banded on 3-25 and have NO regrets. I was banded in TJ by Dr. Ortiz because I wasn't obese enough to have it done in the States. [214lbs. with high blood pressure] Also, my hubby's insurance doesn't cover any kind of weight loss surgery. I came across Dr. O's site by accident when I was researching the lapband, and read everything I could about him and the OCC. I bought his book [off of Amazon.com] and read it cover to cover. I came on this forum and read posts for a long time before I joined in and started asking questions [and I had ALOT!] It was scarey, thinking about going to TJ to have surgery, but I worried for nothing! What you read on here is true, we're REAL patients of Dr. O's and I think that was the hardest part of all of this for me... taking that leap of faith and trusting that the OCC is everything that it says it is. The pictures you see are really the OCC, not some "fake" pix of a hospital room across the world. I would say that your best bet would be to go through all the posts and read, read, read! :P There are alot of great people on here and some fab photo's. I just went back to TJ to get my first fill and my hubby and daughter went with me. A had a nice mini vacation and I had a really good time at the OCC. I met a friend that was banded the same day as me and we got our first fill together... I never laughed so hard, we even had the Doc laughing!! :lol2: You can schedule your surgery very quickly after you speak to Carolyn, tell her your info and they work with you. If you'd like to write me, my addy is imnutzy2@hotmail.com, I'll answer any questions I can. I wanted to add one more thing, I went to TJ by myself to have the surgery done!! I must admitt, I was scared at first but didn't need to be. Best wishes, Darlene

Robin,

Most of us in this forum have had our Bands through OCC with Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Martinez. They are wonderful and it is a great clinic and you will get the best of care there. If you read through the topics you will get tons of information, good and a few bad, but honest comments from real people. My experience was totally wonderful there and I would recomend them highly. As far as the fills if you live in the Pacific Northwest you have a lot of options....You can fly back to TJ pretty easy and it is not too expensive, there are several Dr's in the area who will see people done in TJ for fills but they are pretty pricey, or there is Northwest Fill Management, who is very convenient, the prices are low, and they have tons of experience. There is also a support group that meets in Port Orchard once a month and that is a nice group. I am sure there are a lot of other support groups in the area, but I like the one in Port Orchard and I also use the forum here. OCC is pretty accomodating with getting your surgery scheduled, so I think that it is mainly when you want it done. You will have a pre-op diet to follow to help shrink your liver so that it is easier for them to perform the surgery but with your consultation by phone they will let you know what you have to do for that, depends on your starting weight and how much you have to lose and your BMI. Good Luck with your decision making and you have made the first step already......you are here!

Donna