FLURO FILL

I like the idea of the fluro fill but I really wonder if it is worth going all the way to Mexico for. If all the doctors are in agreement that the first fill should be only 1.5 cc then why bother? I don't understand why the USA doctors charge so much to the Mexican lapsters on their first visit (350 or 550 with fluroand for the fills)? A doctor here in Arora CO would have done the surgery for 9 K and do all the fills for only 15 dollars. He had only done 350 surgeries in the last two years, Dr O has much more experience, that's why I am going with him this Friday June 6th. I just needed to voice this because there is a lot of people that also question the frequency and cost of fills. Barb

I hear ya. I figured out what it will cost me today and the first fill will cost me 2 days travelling and around $900 with the cheapest flight I could find and the cost of the hotel and fluro. I love the OCC but I just can't afford to spend that much if I can get exactly the same fill here for a couple hundred and not have to travel. I am very sad as I was looking forward to going down for my fill. Guess it's gonna be here instead. Apparently they do 1.5 here as well (Canada) so not much point in travelling other than to see everyone. :((

Cheryl

I hear ya. I figured out what it will cost me today and the first fill will cost me 2 days travelling and around $900 with the cheapest flight I could find and the cost of the hotel and fluro. I love the OCC but I just can't afford to spend that much if I can get exactly the same fill here for a couple hundred and not have to travel. I am very sad as I was looking forward to going down for my fill. Guess it's gonna be here instead. Apparently they do 1.5 here as well (Canada) so not much point in travelling other than to see everyone. :((

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl

As I said in another posting Dr Descoteaux is very nice and at the Peter Lougheed for $100.

Nicolek

Really, the only reason I like to get a fluoro with a fill is because it gives the doctors a chance to visually check the band position and note any obvious problems. The fill itself doesn't really require it, and from my experience, watching the fluids go down with fluoro to check your tightness isn't any more exact than just going my how it feels to you. I had fluoro with my second fill at OCC and the doctor thought I was fine. I went out in the waiting room and sat for a couple of minutes waiting for my husband, and then asked to go back in because I could tell it was going to be too tight. Even after taking out .2 cc I spent the next two months really too tight and had to be very careful. I think if I had had a blind fill I could have done just as well.

I do like to go in every six months or so for a fluoro just to see how things are. You could probably stretch that out to every year if you had someone reliable doing blind fills. Just my opinion.