Question Submissions

LoriBecky

Ok... this is a test area. We are still trying to figure out how to best use it :)

Dolittle and I will review questions and submit them to Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Martinez and the answer to chosen questions - the ones of benefit to the most bandsters - will be posted here.

Specific questions about a problem you are having with your band or any immediate need question should be called it directly to our office at 1-866-376-7849 ext. 5 for after-care/fill doctors, ext 3 for Dr. Martinez or ext. 4 for Dr. Ortiz.

Thank you!

Hi,

I was banded by Dr. Ortiz on April 2, 2008. Today, I had my first fill in Fl. The doctor put in 1 CC under floroscopy and gave me some barium to drink (a couple of sips actually). It wouldn't go down so he adjusted to .7 CC - only air bubbles came down and so he gave me .5 CC and then it came down. He told me I would need another fill in a month since it only took .5 CCs.

My comment and question: I have been hungry ever since. I had 4 cups of pureed soup, 20 ounces of water and about a cup of blueberries and it has only been 6 hours. What is the problem?

Sincerely,

Fatcat

Ok... this is a test area. We are still trying to figure out how to best use it :)

Dolittle and I will review questions and submit them to Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Martinez and the answer to chosen questions - the ones of benefit to the most bandsters - will be posted here.

Specific questions about a problem you are having with your band or any immediate need question should be called it directly to our office at 1-866-376-7849 ext. 5 for after-care/fill doctors, ext 3 for Dr. Martinez or ext. 4 for Dr. Ortiz.

Thank you!

I had my 3rd fill in the office 6-6-08 by Dr Acosta. I relayed to him my frustrations of having 2 fills and very small restriction. I have a vg 10cc I went from 6.5 to 8.5. I have major restriction, is it that I just need to learn how to eat all over again? I cant eat in the morning. I have to drink something warm in morning, before I eat lunch. Sometimes it feels It gets stuck and it can hurt. I think it is just me needing to adapt to the restriction. But I have had a small headache for the past 3 days, I think it's from not being able to eat alot like I use too. I just want to make sure nothing is wrong. I can drink as long as I have not eaten prior. I probably am just worried over nothing. I can eat but meat is a little difficult, is it that I do need to chew chew chew?? Thanks so much Pebbles

• 2 weeks later...

Dr. Ortiz,

Would you mind commenting on the healing aspects related to where the port is implanted and what to expect in the way of healing in that area (i.e. swelling, pain, etc.). My lap band was implanted on June 10, 2008, and I suspect the pain in the my left side has a lot to do with gas and with the tenderness resulting from my trying to feel for the location of the port (there's a little too much swelling there right now to locate it).

Anyway, any help you can be right now would be greatly appreciated.

- Janet King.

• 6 months later...
Hi Lori,

Where is the port placed? In the abdominal cavity or more to the suface of the skin? Can it be palpated on seen as one loses weight? thanx

I think I can answer this,, being banded for almost two years and had a lower body lift a couple months ago. Dr. Ortiz/Dr. Martinez place the port left center, between your belly button and the bottom of your rib cage, but more closer to your rib cage. If you notice pictures posted at the forum of other patients,, you'll see the 1 to 2 inch scar in that location. This is where the port is placed. It is placed just beneath the skin/fat layer and above the muscle flaccida. It is attached to the abdominal muscle with some stitching. If you lay on your back and rub that spot lightly with your fingers,, you'll be able to feel the port. As you lose weight and the fat layer thins out, the port will become more noticable. When laying on your back after you've lost a lot of weight,, it will start to protrude and look like you have a small jaw breaker under your skin. When standing, you will be able to feel it,, but it shouldn't be noticable. If sometime in the future after you've reached your goal, you decide to have plastic surgery to remove the excess skin hanging from your abdomen. Your plastic surgeon should be able to place your port a little deeper, like between the abdominal muscle and the muscle flaccida. Which would be one more layer deeper. Or you can opt to go back to your lap band surgeon and have them relocate the port to a deeper location. I guess it depends on how you feel about the port after you reach your goal. Some patients won't see that much difference, some will. Weight loss and time will be a contributing factor. I want to remind you that I'm not a doctor and this might not be totally accurate,, but this how it was explained to me. During my lower body lift, Dr. Quiroz,, my plastic surgeon, who has specialized in WLS patients, placed my port one more layer deeper. How I touch and feel it now reminds me of how it felt when I was first banded. Just last week I had a blind fill and the fill doctor had no problem feeling and locating my port and hit it on the first attempt.

Thank you Dolittle for answering that question concerning the port. I have been curious over exactly the answers that you gave. Even though I am a long way from having a LBL, it is in my future and I was wondering what would happen with the port.

• 4 months later...

Thank you!

topic: Band brand and size.

I called OCC today and was told I have a Johnson and Johnson 10cm 4cc band. I was online and isn't Johnson and Johson a Realize band? They are all 10cc from what I read? I thought I heard Dr. Ortiz say I was getting a 10cc band? I was banded 4/24/09.

D.

• 1 year later...

India, you and I have emailed back and forth - just call me at 1-866-376-7849 ext. 81 anytime and we can look at dates, set up a phone consult, or discuss your options :)

i just checked and it looks like you called this morning and got everything taken care of :)

congratulations!

• 2 months later...

Thank you!

Hello I had the sleeve done on Sept 7. Everything is going well.

I have a question about the no rice, no bread and no pasta. It's listed on my week four diet sheet.

Hopefully,this restriction is temporary and not forever. Please reply.

Thanks

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi-

I am interested in working with Dr. Ortiz to have gastric bypass performed. Currently my BMI is 64 and am currently on a diet and exercise plan prior to surgery. My question is does Dr. Ortiz perform the gastric bypass on patients with a high BMI? As of this morning (7/31/11) my height is 5'1 and weight is 340lbs. I have lost a total of 26lbs since May 2011 when I started on my diet/exercise plan. So I know I am able to loss more. Due to where I live and for other reasons- I am only interested in having gastric bypass and have a physician here in my area who is able and willing to follow me post-op. Any further information would be greatly appreciated.

• 6 months later...

I have had the lapband for almost 3 years. It helped me get a lot of weight off but I am having just one problem with it. There are times when I eat that the roof of my mouth gets these bumps which are painful and last for a few minutes. What is this caused by? Please help me, I have had my band unfilled thinking it was to tight but it still happens not as often but still happens.

I have had the lapband for almost 3 years. It helped me get a lot of weight off but I am having just one problem with it. There are times when I eat that the roof of my mouth gets these bumps which are painful and last for a few minutes. What is this caused by? Please help me, I have had my band unfilled thinking it was to tight but it still happens not as often but still happens.

Sounds like an allergy? I'd call the OCC and talk to Dr. Miranda. She's the food Goddess.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I am on week two post-op sleeve. What is the deal with taking my night meds and throwing up? Talked to Dr. So, the day before yesterday and he suggested I wait 10 mins in between crushed pills. I did that last night and it felt like I was having a heart attack for about an hour; the chest pain right in the middle was horrible! Tonight, back to the throwing up. It's only at night...morning pills go down w/o a hitch. Last night felt very much like spasm in esophagus? Weird? I am sure it's not good to keep "heaving" every night, although I would take that ANY DAY over the pain I had last night (right above that upper incision). Not sure if I am obsorbing any of my night meds, they come right back up so quick. Tonight it was...my chewable post-op bariatric vitamins; along with the tiny white one and big green one (dumped out) that you all gave us. Only getting 16 ozs. of water down a day, but having liquid in protein shake and soup, does that count?

Tired of tossing my cookies...just skipped my regular 2 meds tonight because I didn't was to throw-up again. =( help

• 2 years later...