*i miss diet coke*

Phoenix

I had my 2nd "sticking" episide tonight.

If I'd had my first fill already, it would have been much suckier. But I haven't. It was reasonably sucky. And then it went down and I belched like a frat boy at a kegger. Only a more dignified and more quiet version. Behind a napkin, of course...and much less noise.

I'm about to kiss thin crust, CPK, BBQ chicken pizza good night forever. And I can deal with that. If it sticks now, it will be much worse when filled.

But I miss Diet Coke. Will I ever not miss it? *sniff*

I can relate....ordered pizza and wings the other night, it came with a bottle of Diet Coke and OMG! I wanted a sip so bad, I didn't.

I have been Diet Coke free since May 27th when my pre-op diet started and I do miss the burn of carbonation. I only drink water now, and skim milk with cereal. I even tried to add Crystal Lite to water and it was too sweet, yuk!

It's mind over matter and you can do it...I just say to myself, "I CAN'T HAVE IT" and grab a water.

If you enjoy the taste, you can always take a sip of flat diet coke, but to be honest it's not the same.

Deep breath and you'll be just fine!

Cathy

There are times when my friends have a diet coke and I want to sniff it just to get the idea that I have it...but I have to admit it is not as bad as it was too beging with...

I steal the ice cubes from my husband's. It's a touch of the taste and sparkle and less than a milliliter.

Thanks for understanding. It's just so nice to be able to come here and know that someone else "gets" it.

I steal the ice cubes from my husband's. It's a touch of the taste and sparkle and less than a milliliter.

Thanks for understanding. It's just so nice to be able to come here and know that someone else "gets" it.

What would happen if you had it? What exactly will it do?

What would happen if you had it? What exactly will it do?

Hi Stormy,

Carbonated drinks cause gas build up in your pouch and can stretch it, defeating the purpose of keeping the pouch small, so that you feel full on very little food. They should be avoided at least for the first six months, and if you do have carbonated after that, in very small quantities.

I chose not have any carbonated drinks anymore, I don't want to risk it.

Cathy

I had my 2nd "sticking" episide tonight.

If I'd had my first fill already, it would have been much suckier. But I haven't. It was reasonably sucky. And then it went down and I belched like a frat boy at a kegger. Only a more dignified and more quiet version. Behind a napkin, of course...and much less noise.

I'm about to kiss thin crust, CPK, BBQ chicken pizza good night forever. And I can deal with that. If it sticks now, it will be much worse when filled.

But I miss Diet Coke. Will I ever not miss it? *sniff*

So sorry to hear about your sticking episode, I know it can suck....and the belching used to shock me, but I am over it now. Welcome to a banster's life.

I used to be a die hard Diet Coke addict to the tune of 4-5 or more cans per day! I stopped drinking it the day I quit smoking and I still miss it (or the thought of it at least). Though, I have to admit that I went to the movies with my friend and she asked me to hold her 64 oz., ice-cold diet coke while she went to the restroom. I sneaked an ever so small sip and it wasn't the same. Just wasn't as good as I remembered it so I probably won't go back to it after 6 months.

I was a diet coke junkie, having started to drink it about 16 years ago. I had to have my diet coke every morning (I don't drink coffee) on my way to work. I'd sip on it throughout the morning. Go to lunch and have either a diet coke or a glass of coke (depended on how the ice was made!). A total freak.

I had some problems about five years ago with bones aching and being tired. A doc suggested to me that it may be the aspartame in the diet coke, so I quit drinking diet coke and switched to regular coke. I did feel better.

I quit drinking "Coke" (diet or regular) when I started my pre op diet. I'm saving a lot of money not buying those bottles of Diet Coke in the morning (1.38 bottle) and saving money on cokes at lunch ($1.79 glass) PLUS I feel better. Sure, I have the cravings for a COKE (but in my neck of the woods, a Coke could also be a root beer). I did have a root beer float one day and felt awful afterwards. My tummy hurt all night long.

So, you can survive without the diet coke because I am surviving ;) And I truly was the FREAK :)

I have a potentially dumb question.. But is it ok to drink if you let it go flat? Aside from the calorie aspect, which if you're drinking diet is a non-issue, there aren't any issues with the syrup or that are there? I've heard/read caffeine is not good for the band either?

Former diehard diet coke/pepsi drink here. I stopped cold turkey that and all other forms of caffeine on June 1st. And the people around me sure have noticed. :P

I'm lucky, sorta. Nearly all artificial sweeteners have a bad effect on me, they taste bitter to me and leave an awful aftertaste in my mouth, so I never got the Diet Coke addiction that so many folks have! However, any sugar-free stuff like protein shakes also taste vile to me...

I have a potentially dumb question.. But is it ok to drink if you let it go flat? Aside from the calorie aspect, which if you're drinking diet is a non-issue, there aren't any issues with the syrup or that are there? I've heard/read caffeine is not good for the band either?

Former diehard diet coke/pepsi drink here. I stopped cold turkey that and all other forms of caffeine on June 1st. And the people around me sure have noticed. :P

Hi Tristessa, yes you can have it flat, but it doesn't taste nearly as good. The carbonation burn is what I miss.

Besides, diet soda cancels out any water you drink and is a diaretic and inhibits weight loss...so do your best to avoid it.

Good Luck!

Cathy

So I am wondering about my daily ice mocha. Is that something that I will need to give up? Is caffaine an issue? I only have one on the way to work on weekdays but it helps wake me up. I can give up the soda but do I have to give up the mocha, that I would say is going to be hard. I really dont eat breakfast, I usualy have my mocha on the way to work and then I am ready. I guess if I have to give it up then that is just the way it is but I do like my mochas.

I am over 6 months out from my banding and I do occasionally have a small amount of Diet Pepsi/Coke. I can't drink much of it, just a small amount, but it is so refreshing. The carbonation bothers me so I let the ice melt in it for a while and it is better. I only use it for an occasional treat as it makes me burp/fart too much!