Tomato Pie

bandgroupie

Great! I found the recipe! I'm reading the forum and some of you really stand out with your success. RevyD in particular. I kept seeing that Tomato Pie on her food log and was considering asking her if I could move in, follow her around, and copy every move. But not wanting to creep her out I elected to just have this recipe on hand after my surgery and when I can start eating solids again. ^_^ It sounds good with zucchini too! I can't see the recipe as I type this and was wondering if that's regular cheese or FF cheese. And thanks RevyD (Is that Deb?) for posting your serving size.

Great! I found the recipe! I'm reading the forum and some of you really stand out with your success. RevyD in particular. I kept seeing that Tomato Pie on her food log and was considering asking her if I could move in, follow her around, and copy every move. But not wanting to creep her out I elected to just have this recipe on hand after my surgery and when I can start eating solids again. ^_^ It sounds good with zucchini too! I can't see the recipe as I type this and was wondering if that's regular cheese or FF cheese. And thanks RevyD (Is that Deb?) for posting your serving size.

Thanks Darlene you are a sweetheart. I wish you all the best in your journey. Believe me If i can do this so can you. Just follow the rules they give you at the OCC and make sure you exercise 7 days a week. Work that band and watch the fat melt off . I always do my measurements etc at the end of the month. I found a picture of me at my heaviest which was 317 pounds and I am going to post that with my current picture. I can't even believe I am the same person. This band has transformed my life and it is the best decision I ever made for myself.

By the way you will love the tomatoe pie. I am totally addicted to it!!!!!!!!!!

Debbie

I found a picture of me at my heaviest which was 317 pounds and I am going to post that with my current picture. I can't even believe I am the same person.

Oh please post that picture soon! I was reading earlier where you wrote you wished you had a pic of you at your heaviest. I was wishing the same because I wanted to see your amazing transformation. I'm so glad you found it!!

Oh please post that picture soon! I was reading earlier where you wrote you wished you had a pic of you at your heaviest. I was wishing the same because I wanted to see your amazing transformation. I'm so glad you found it!!

I will post it around the last saturday of the month. That is when I take a new picture and do my measurments. I want to have a picture of me at my larges and a recent picture of me.

You will be blown away :)

Great! I found the recipe! I'm reading the forum and some of you really stand out with your success. RevyD in particular. I kept seeing that Tomato Pie on her food log and was considering asking her if I could move in, follow her around, and copy every move. But not wanting to creep her out I elected to just have this recipe on hand after my surgery and when I can start eating solids again. happy.gif It sounds good with zucchini too! I can't see the recipe as I type this and was wondering if that's regular cheese or FF cheese. And thanks RevyD (Is that Deb?) for posting your serving size.

Hey - I wanted to jump in and say, odds are you won't creep her out! She has been putting up with the likes of us for months! hee hee!

Hey - I wanted to jump in and say, odds are you won't creep her out! She has been putting up with the likes of us for months! hee hee!

Angie you always crack me up with your remarks. Actually I could not have accomplished what I have without every single person on this board. I read all your posts even if I don't comment and get encouragement and inspiration everyday from all of you. I don't go a day without reading this board a minimum of 3 times. YOU ALL ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bring on the pictures RevyD.....can't wait! I'm all for creeping Debbie out, following her around and making notes. Although I think we would have to stand in a long line for our turn. You are truly and inspiration to us all. Thank you!!

• 2 weeks later...

Since you get two pie crusts in a package and I'm not known for my patience, I'm making two versions of the pie at once. They're in the oven right now! They both use cottage cheese, Cavender's seasoning, and pepper. But the second pie also has two eggs in with the cottage cheese mixture. Since Tomato Pie is the secret weapon breakfast food of champions, I thought the added breakfastyness and protein of eggs might be a winner. We'll see!!

Quick question: How many layers of tomato does everyone normally use? I only had enough for one layer. Is that going to be enough?

UPDATE: Gee WOW is this tasty! I went without the Italian herbs, because I'm in college and I've had quite enough pizza for breakfast. It is a superb little garden pie!! The egg one needs to cook a bit longer, but it is also looking great :)

• 1 month later...

I found a version of this on Recipezaar, by the Queen of HIGH FAT cookin', good ol' Paula Deen.

It has a few little extras, including the fresh basil which I can't imagine it without.

Ingredients

* 4 tomatoes, peeled and sliced

* 10 fresh basil leaves, chopped

* 1/2 cup chopped green onion

* 1 prebaked 9-inch deep dish pie crust

* 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese

* 1 cup grated cheddar cheese

* 1 cup mayonnaise

* salt and pepper

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Place the tomatoes in a colander in the sink in 1 layer.

3. Sprinkle with salt and allow to drain for 10 minutes or longer, if you don't the pie will fall apart.

4. Layer the tomato slices, basil and onion in pie shell.

5. Season with salt and pepper.

6. Combine the grated cheeses and mayonnaise together.

7. Spread mixture on top of the tomatoes and bake for 30 minutes until lightly browned.

To serve: cut into slices and serve warm.

I just made it, and I have to admit, there is grease floating on the top of it, and it really turned my stomach.

I know my boyfriend will think he's died and gone to heaven, as I would never categorize this as 'healthy eating' - a whopping 30.6g FAT per serving! :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

I tried to reduce the fat content (ever so slightly) by using half the fat mayo. I'm not a fan of low fat cheese, so I went with 5 year aged cheddar & fresh mozz from a local cheese boutique.

But with the amount of fat in this, it's definitely a treat and not something I'll be making on a regular basis.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

After reading all of raving reviews about this pie, I am wondering what you think would be the calorie count for 1/8th of this pie? I seem to be counting calories, do any of you?

After reading all of raving reviews about this pie, I am wondering what you think would be the calorie count for 1/8th of this pie? I seem to be counting calories, do any of you?

To be truthful I don't want to know :)

Actually it can't be more than 200. I know that I eat it every day and have lost 138 pounds so it can't be that bad.

Hi Revy,

Do you count calories or have you just been going by the restriction when eating? After a 7mos. hiatus (because of illness) I have just restarted and am getting my port repositioned and a fill. I am trying to decide which route to take. I also had a problem with losing hair the first 5 mos

.I am not sure what I was doing wrong. I have since had no problem and the hair has grown back. I hope you can reply, I will check this out in the morning. Thanks again for all of your help. What a great inspiration you are!

• 3 months later...

Hi Revy,

Do you count calories or have you just been going by the restriction when eating? After a 7mos. hiatus (because of illness) I have just restarted and am getting my port repositioned and a fill. I am trying to decide which route to take. I also had a problem with losing hair the first 5 mos

.I am not sure what I was doing wrong. I have since had no problem and the hair has grown back. I hope you can reply, I will check this out in the morning. Thanks again for all of your help. What a great inspiration you are!

Sorry this took so long. I just saw your question. I do count calories. I also had trouble with hair loss the first few months but then eveything was fine. Hair is great now.

Debbie

• 5 months later...

I hate mayo so that was the only thing holding me back from trying this yummy sounding recipe, thanks ladies {and gentlemen} for the great substitution suggestions.