considering lap band

Hi i am 15 almost 16 and have been obese for about as long as i can remember. I recently went through a deep depression but now medicine is keeping me regulated. I am completly clueless on how to even go about having this procedure done or even where to go. I have a strong family history of heart disease and diabetes in my family and am concerned for my self. I have been un succcessful on many occassions of dieting. Even when i started my medicine of was having loss of apetite and ingesting an average of 800 calories for a day and i didnt lose a single pound. So even if not purposely i have even tried somewhat of starvation and nothing works for me. I played ice hockey for 2.5 years and would sweat and feel as if i was sufficiently exercising but had no weightloss. i have a history of obesity and I am searching for a better alternative life thhan what i have.

thanks for listening,

steve :D

Hi Steve! I think you should look onto the OCC as I know he does teenagers and changes their lives. I don't think Insurance will touch a teenager but if you wait till 18 maybe they would. Just got mine done 9 days ago and already I know its the best decision I ever made. Do Lots of research and you will find everyone here on the forum so helpful.

Steve,

I am 15, and I was banded just over 8 months ago (when I was still 14) and have lost 105lbs--it is without a doubt the best decision I have ever made in my entire life.

Like you, I have a family history of obesity. I did not want to be a part of the chain anymore--so I did something about it.

My surgery was NOT covered under insurance (it wouldn't be until I was 16 or 18 or something, depending on how I went about the pre-insurance programming). Let me just tell you that I am so thankful that I decided NOT to wait any longer--I don't know where I would be now if I had waited.

I have heard excellent things about the OCC (I myself was actually not banded there; we did it a little more locally).

I'm always here for questions. This could be the change you've been waiting for.

Good luck!

--TRS

• 3 weeks later...
Hi i am 15 almost 16 and have been obese for about as long as i can remember. I recently went through a deep depression but now medicine is keeping me regulated. I am completly clueless on how to even go about having this procedure done or even where to go. I have a strong family history of heart disease and diabetes in my family and am concerned for my self. I have been un succcessful on many occassions of dieting. Even when i started my medicine of was having loss of apetite and ingesting an average of 800 calories for a day and i didnt lose a single pound. So even if not purposely i have even tried somewhat of starvation and nothing works for me. I played ice hockey for 2.5 years and would sweat and feel as if i was sufficiently exercising but had no weightloss. i have a history of obesity and I am searching for a better alternative life thhan what i have.

thanks for listening,

steve :D

Hi Steve, I am not a lap band patient but a mother of a teenager who at 18 had lap band. She was banded 4/4. I don't know your parents view on surgery for you. I am pretty sure that no insurance is going to pay for that for someone of your age. If you are self pay thats a different story. You may be able to find a doctor to do it. I would suggest that you tell your parents what you are thinking and explain why you think lap band would be a good option for you and then find a doctor. Usually they free seminars that you can go to to educate you and your parents so you can make a decision. I need to mention to you too that its not always a lot of fun and its not always easy. My daughter is struggling with finding her "sweet spot" and I am quite frustated to becuase I am paying out of pocket for the surgery. There will be sacrefices. Keep that in mind. I admire you for being so mature and realizing what the efffects of being overweight are. =D>