Fill Frustrations

I had the surgery done by Dr. Martinez on April 22nd, 2008. I have not had many results. I had my first fill done in Mexico in June. They gave me 1 cc. I was able to eat anything I wanted after that, as if no fill at all. On an occasion, I would feel some discomfort when overeating, but it wasn't too bad. I had gained all the weight back that I initially lost, pre-op. In July, I found a fill doctor in my local area. He said that I was actually not at 1cc because of air draining from the band. He then who added .7cc. I was at 1.5. It restricted me minimally, so I scheduled another appointment with him for the following week. At that time he gave me .5 cc. I was at a full 2 cc. I was able to have restriction only when I ate fast without chewing well. Still, with eating solids, I didn't lose any weight. I scheduled an appointment with him in October for a fill. He again instructed that I had lost some air in the band and was under 2 cc. So, he told me that he would fill me to the 2 cc mark again. I was frustrated by this. I didn't want to pay again to get the same amount that I paid for before. I didn't understand this air issue and this was my 4th fill with no significant weight loss. I insisted that he fill me to 2.5 cc then we would do an unfill if necessary. Although he was reluctant, he did the fill. After this fill, I couldn't even drink water. I was TOO TIGHT!! I was miserable, not hungry at all, but feeling dehydrated. I couldn't swallow my saliva either. The doctor was closed the following day and I actually considered going to ER for an unfill. So, this was 2 full days being miserable. The 3rd day, the doctor unfilled .4 which now has me at 2.1 cc total in my band. I felt great after that. I was restricted to only eating small portions, I was eating 3-4 times per day, really small portioned meals, and I was losing. I have since lost about 14 pounds. But, now I'm at a stand still again. I haven't seen any weight loss in the last two weeks. And my portion sizes are beginning to increase again. I'm afraid that I may gain. I have been looking at others progress and I see that there are some people who are close to their goal weight who have had surgery around the same time as I did. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I don't want to feel like what I did was in vain. I thought this was going to be the end to my yo-yo dieting! Any advice would be great.

Surgery date:04/22/2008

Highest weight: 210

PreOp weight 04/20/08: 200

Current weight 12/3/08: 188

Goal weight: 140

Height 5'0" / Start size 16-18

I thought this was going to be the end to my yo-yo dieting! Any advice would be great.

Please remember that as you lose weight, you generally lose fat around your band too. As that occurs, your stoma generally gets more relaxed, and the opening increases. The answer isn't that complicated. Go in for another fill. The sweet spot for your band's cc for weight loss will need to be adjusted. This is a GOOD thing. It means its working!! The whole point of the band is you can ADJUST it as you go.

A few other considerations. The band is a tool... not the solution. YOU put the food in your mouth. YOU decide on the portions. When its working, the band will aid you and remind you of the fact. But YOU have to control it. Don't INCREASE your portion sizes. Find better foods that fill you up. Make better choices. If you don't, it makes no difference how tight you make the band... you are in for a miserable ride.

Aligning your mental control with an adjustment in the band, you will find you can get back on track. Go slow. Don't fret about huge fills. Make smaller fills and find that spot. This is a journey to get a better relationship with food, and truly make a difference in your physical being. Don't give up. You WILL have plateaus. Sometimes they may last a few weeks. For some people... it could be months. But you will drive through them if you work at it.

Taz

Please remember that as you lose weight, you generally lose fat around your band too. As that occurs, your stoma generally gets more relaxed, and the opening increases. The answer isn't that complicated. Go in for another fill. The sweet spot for your band's cc for weight loss will need to be adjusted. This is a GOOD thing. It means its working!! The whole point of the band is you can ADJUST it as you go.

A few other considerations. The band is a tool... not the solution. YOU put the food in your mouth. YOU decide on the portions. When its working, the band will aid you and remind you of the fact. But YOU have to control it. Don't INCREASE your portion sizes. Find better foods that fill you up. Make better choices. If you don't, it makes no difference how tight you make the band... you are in for a miserable ride.

Aligning your mental control with an adjustment in the band, you will find you can get back on track. Go slow. Don't fret about huge fills. Make smaller fills and find that spot. This is a journey to get a better relationship with food, and truly make a difference in your physical being. Don't give up. You WILL have plateaus. Sometimes they may last a few weeks. For some people... it could be months. But you will drive through them if you work at it.

Taz

I agree with Taz and your portion size should be the following: 2-3 oz of meat, 1/4 cup of veggie/fruit, 1/4 cup grain per sitting, 3 times a day and no more than 1200 calories a day and if you do hard core exercses, increase your calories to 1500. You should not eat more than 3/4 cup of food at your meal times.

Hope this helps you...

• 1 month later...

Hi Kia,

I know you sent your post a long time ago, and I am wondering how you are now doing.

I got my first fill a month ago and have been gaining weight ever since. After my surgery I could feel the restriction and could only eat limited food. However, my weight loss was slow. After I got the fill, I went backward and felt as I did before the surgery-I could eat unlimited food, but I would often get things stuck. I know what it felt like to not be able to eat more than 1/2 to one cup at a time, three times a day and I want it back, but I don't know what went wrong. Does anyone know?