Info from Jillian Michaels!

Guest CaraMBA09

Guest CaraMBA09

There's Nothing Fishy About Omega-3s

Fat is an essential part of any healthy diet. But before you start adding wheels of cheese to your grocery list, make sure you know which fats are the healthiest. Omega-3s are some of the best!

Omega-3 fats, a form of polyunsaturated fat named for its multiple pairs of double-bonded carbons, are unsaturated fats. This type of fat is found predominantly in cold-water fish such as salmon, as well as flaxseed, walnuts, and almonds.

Like monounsaturated fat, omega-3 fats improve heart health by keeping cholesterol levels low. They can also aid in stabilizing an irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia) and reducing blood pressure. Omega-3 fatty acids act as natural blood thinners, reducing the "stickiness" of blood cells (or platelet aggregation), which can lead to blood clots and stroke.

In numerous studies over the years, participants suffering from inflammatory diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, and Raynaud's disease have reported less joint stiffness, swelling, tenderness, and overall fatigue when taking omega-3s.

This fat may inhibit the production of carcinogens within the body, thus aiding in cancer prevention and treatment. It turns out that even your brain - which is 60 percent fat - needs omega-3 to function properly. This wonder fat has even been shown to improve depression and symptoms of other mental illness!

There's Nothing Fishy About Omega-3s

Fat is an essential part of any healthy diet. But before you start adding wheels of cheese to your grocery list, make sure you know which fats are the healthiest. Omega-3s are some of the best!

Omega-3 fats, a form of polyunsaturated fat named for its multiple pairs of double-bonded carbons, are unsaturated fats. This type of fat is found predominantly in cold-water fish such as salmon, as well as flaxseed, walnuts, and almonds.

Like monounsaturated fat, omega-3 fats improve heart health by keeping cholesterol levels low. They can also aid in stabilizing an irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia) and reducing blood pressure. Omega-3 fatty acids act as natural blood thinners, reducing the "stickiness" of blood cells (or platelet aggregation), which can lead to blood clots and stroke.

In numerous studies over the years, participants suffering from inflammatory diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, and Raynaud's disease have reported less joint stiffness, swelling, tenderness, and overall fatigue when taking omega-3s.

This fat may inhibit the production of carcinogens within the body, thus aiding in cancer prevention and treatment. It turns out that even your brain - which is 60 percent fat - needs omega-3 to function properly. This wonder fat has even been shown to improve depression and symptoms of other mental illness!

EXCELLENT post Cara! I have been taking Iceland Health (from Alaska) Omega-3 fish oil capsules for years and this helps me to make sure I get my fair share of nutrients in my system if I neglect to have it in my food intake. Currently, I just had my 2nd fill and I can still take this large capsule daily.

• 5 months later...