I'm 16 and have been thinking about lap band sugery...

torriebugg

So I keep thinking about having this lap band sugery and it seems pretty cool and stuff but... I'm 16 and I'm afraid that if I get it now all of my friends will notice and that people will find out about it and they won't understand... I want to do it but I'm just wondering... did your friends notice the weight come off you so quick? How did they react? Did any of them not find out about it? I'm like a 3x and I'm wondering if I can slowly loose it and not have to tell them about it. I mean I'm sure they'd understand I'm just... I don't want to have to explain it to them.

And I know 3x might not seem that bad to some of you but I'd rather do this and not have to worry about all of my families health problems later... I want to be thin and go into jc penneys and find clothes that don't look like puke and get guys phone numbers but I'm still so confused...

Anyone have any helpful advise???

:)

Can I ask why you wouldn't want your friends to know? It seems to me that if they are really your friends that they would support your decision and stick by you. The weight won't just melt away like butter. I haven't had the procedure done yet, but have researched it enough to know that it's a slow process. I'll say this to you. It might not mean much to you, but I absolutely and completely understand your problem. When I was 16 I was a 3x, still am. And when I was your age (ugh, makes me feel old) I would have had this done in a heartbeat if I could afford to have done so, and I wouldn't have cared what anyone thought about it because I was doing it for me and me alone. This decision doesn't affect them. You're making this decision for yourself and your personal future to ensure your wellbeing. High school is hard. Being teased is worse. I was the biggest kid in my school so yeah... I know about that. You gotta walk with your head up high, and yeah I know it's harder than it sounds. There are times that you have to be selfish and not worry so much about what everyone else thinks of you. I used to focus so hard on everyone else and what they thought and trying to fit in that I didn't even think of trying to lose the weight. I was too busy freaking out about how to keep them friends with me. And the truth is, most of the people you're focusing so hard on now won't even be around you 10 years from now. I'm 26, and only have a handfull of friends left from school. You just have to remember that the decision to do this now doesn't affect them in any way, and any attention you get from people can't be negative... and if it is, they're only jealous that you're obviously doing something to better yourself and they can't. So, chin up! You can do it!

Heyy

I'm 15 years old, and I was banded January 08. It's been quite the journey, not at all easy, but completely worth it.

I also started out as a 3x, and I wore a 24w skirt. I lost 70 lbs. between January and June, and not that many people noticed (or if they did, they didn't say anything). Actually toward the end, like the last few wks. of school, people started to tell me that I looked good--not suspecting a thing. I proceeded to work hard and lose 31 lbs. over the summer. When I went back to school in September (after not seeing ppl. for 12 wks.), everyone went crazy. They were all so excited to see me, and told me how amazing I looked, etc. It was really fun.

All of my friends from school know that I'm making a conscious effort to lose weight--they just think I'm on a strict diet, because that's what I told them. That's true, though. I just didn't tell them about the band. It's much easier now that my friends are openly encouraging me to work hard.

In the beginning, I could not understand why I couldn't tell anybody about the surgery. I eventually told two of my friends, and I was extremely disappointed with their reactions. They weren't disappointed with me or anything, it's just that they didn't have the reaction that I was expecting them to have. They just couldn't grasp the concept of the surgery, and I guess I understand why. These were both smaller girls who have never dealt with being fat like I was. So I could see why you would not want to tell your friends.

I've managed to lose 120-something pounds without having people figure my secret out. I totally support you, and I think that you should do this. You will have to work hard, but it all pays off.

I feel the best that I ever have (in my 15 years of life :)), and cannot even believe that I was once as big as I was.

I wish you luck, and please: don't hesitate to ask any questions. I'm always here.

--TRS

I'm almost 32 years old and I am keeping it a secret. Hell adults can be just as ignorant, judgemental and mean as teens. I have decided to tell no one, only my ultra supportive husband knows.

I say keep it to yourself and just enjoy experiencing the changes in your life. Just enjoy being a kid.

I'm almost 32 years old and I am keeping it a secret. Hell adults can be just as ignorant, judgemental and mean as teens. I have decided to tell no one, only my ultra supportive husband knows.

I say keep it to yourself and just enjoy experiencing the changes in your life. Just enjoy being a kid.

I wish my husband is as supportive as yours... I've been thinking of getting banded for a couple of months already, but still can't decide. Does anyone here know a health insurance covering lap band surgery? I got BCBS but it isn't covered. I visited their site but can't find the answer..

I wish my husband is as supportive as yours... I've been thinking of getting banded for a couple of months already, but still can't decide. Does anyone here know a health insurance covering lap band surgery? I got BCBS but it isn't covered. I visited their site but can't find the answer..

My BF of 10 years was not supportive either. It was so frustrating to keep being told to just diet & exercise. I would lose 30 only to gain 50. Finally, after lurking on this website for 6 months had the surgery at the OCC while he was on a golf trip. I had the surgery July 21st, 2008 and he still does not know. I didn't tell anyone except my ex sister-in-law(in the event something went wrong). In fact, most people that I've met on my trips to the OCC for fills (I fly down in the am, get filled, and fly back in time to make dinner!) regret telling friends/family.

There have been a few woman on this website whose husbands were initially not supportive but after reading the many supportive posts had a change of mind. I think Stormy's husband not only had a change of heart but also got the surgery himself! The other gal's screen name is DaGreen?

As far as insurance covering the surgery, it seems like they have you jump thru a lot of hoops just to be considered for the surgery.

for

Good luck to you. I just had my 3rd fill early December and actually lost 3 lbs the week from Christmas & New Years Day! I love not being out of control with food. It took me 6 months to decide and have not regretted my decision once!

Happy New Year!

Don't let what other people think affect your decision to get banded! It's nobody's business at all! It is your body and your health, and you should make the best decision for you.

Good luck!

I agree. My 14 yr old grandson was banded in July last year and he is MUCH happier and healthier and has lost over 60 lbs! You need to do this for YOU. If your so-call friends don't want to support and cheer for you, they are NOT your friends. These people don't understand what you are feeling as they are not in your position. Whereas you are trying to better yourself and should want to do this for you...and no one else sweetheart. Go into this decision because you need to do this for yourself. You have more than enough supporters here to help you out and there's a lot of teenagers getting banded nowadays. You can connect with them for support as well.

Good luck with your decision...