Conderned about crime in Tijuana

Before our recent trip for lap band surgery, there were several news reports about drug lords war going on in Tijuana. People beheaded etc Can anyone give me information on the area that the Lucerna hotel is in? Is it a safer area of Tijuana? We did not see any trouble in December, but did see Miliatary with guns while we were in a taxi returning to hotel.

It is a safer area; you still just need to use caution and common sense. I would not venture out beyond the hotel and only travel to the OCC. Normally most of us would have gone shopping and I personally am into the museums (the history of Tijuana is amazing) – right now – I’d stay close and just hang out at the hotel – luckily there’s a great restaurant and all the needed amenities. I'd have no problem going there.

Just so you're aware the army has now stepped in (stronger than ever before) and is patrolling, however you still just need to be careful.

We are at OCC right now and the OCC is less that a mile from the border, and surrounded by bunisenesses and shops, the violence moslty occurs in the further south residential area's of TJ, the hotel is very close to OCC as well so dont worry about the violence, there is too much partol in this area. Think of it as los angeles, it has beverly hills but it also has compton and south central. The small amount of area you will be located in has nothing to worry about. Good luck! I like it here at OCC so much I dont want to leave!

Before our recent trip for lap band surgery, there were several news reports about drug lords war going on in Tijuana. People beheaded etc Can anyone give me information on the area that the Lucerna hotel is in? Is it a safer area of Tijuana? We did not see any trouble in December, but did see Miliatary with guns while we were in a taxi returning to hotel.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I feel better about a follow up fill trip planned for February now. (And my lack of typing skills are not a problem for forum members. ha)

LORI HAS POSTED THIS UNDER ANNOUNCEMENTS:

We've all heard on the news that you should be careful traveling in Mexico - this article puts it all into perspective. Remember Tijuana is a large city, like New York, Chicago, or Los Angeles, and it does have its problems. But let's not allow the media to blow things out of perspective! I send prospective patients to you guys here at the forum so they can hear first hand from people that have been to our clinic what their experience has been. Everytime I've gone to the clinic or spent time in Tijuana I've had a great time!

http://www.bajainsider.com/baja-california...vel-warning.htm

LOOKS MORE LIKE THE US STATE DEPARTMENT IS BLOWING THINGS OUT OF PERSPECTIVE PER THE LINK YOU POSTED, ALONG WITH THE MEDIA?

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_3028.html

THOUGH TJ IS A LARGE CITY, IT'S POPULATION DOESN'T COMPARE TO NY, CHICAGO OR LA ACCORDING TO THE US CENSUS BUREAU, IT'S ALOT SMALLER

I DON'T REGRET ONE MINUTE GOING TO THE OCC FOR SURGERY, JUST BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS AND BE SAFE :)

hello - I was banded Jan 6th, 2009 and stayed at Hotel Lucerna... was thrilled at the royal treatment.. never been waited on so well anywhere. had no problems and did not hear of any trouble from groups coming and going in the days b4 and after my surgery. Clinic is WONDERFUL staff is WONDERFUL, cleaner than alot of places in the states and still warm and inviting rooms - spa like quailty.. hotel was WONDERFUL. Sooo happy I went, things could not have gone better - trip was better than I ever hoped for.

I hope all goes as well for you as it did for me

LaWanda

hello - I was banded Jan 6th, 2009 and stayed at Hotel Lucerna... was thrilled at the royal treatment.. never been waited on so well anywhere. had no problems and did not hear of any trouble from groups coming and going in the days b4 and after my surgery. Clinic is WONDERFUL staff is WONDERFUL, cleaner than alot of places in the states and still warm and inviting rooms - spa like quailty.. hotel was WONDERFUL. Sooo happy I went, things could not have gone better - trip was better than I ever hoped for.

I hope all goes as well for you as it did for me

LaWanda

Congrats LaWanda and Welcome to Bandland! Thank you for posting your message to help ease the worriness for the new people. Gppd luck and keep us posted on your journey!

I was there at the Lucerna on January 10th.

Nicole and I walked to the mall. We saw a lot of military personnel in trucks being transported to ? All the trucks had sirens on. I have no idea where they were going or what had happened. That made me feel a bit uncomfortable, but I'm a chicken!!!

My husband and I go to TJ all the time. And we have stayed at the Lucerna Hotel many times. It is my fav! We have yet to see any violence. We were there just last Monday for dinner, and then crossed back over. I think it is good advice to just be cautious anywere you are, :rolleyes: US or Mexico.