I need a bit of help.

HopefulSarah

I am serious about getting a Lap Band and I have been researching it constantly. I finally had the guts to ask my mom but she is severly against it. I have explained why I want and need it, but they all shoot it down. I have tried many ways to convince them and they won't budge. I myself, am worried about my future health and dreams. Currently, I am under the age of 18 so I can't just try to get it done myself. Do you have any ideas to help me, or even them, convince them its okay. I am open to books, researches, and/or someone to talk to them and share their experiences. Please for my health, and sanity, help me in any way you can. Even if you just say to give it up. Thank you.

Hey Sarah!

What are her main objections? The price, Mexico, your age, your safety? Some folks are very prejudiced in their thinking regarding gastric surgery for weight loss. I hope you can resolve this with your parent(s). My teenage daughter (age 14) and I both have the lap-band and have done well with it so far. She has lost 40 pounds, is very close to her goal, and looks amazing. I knew I wanted the lap-band for myself, and I saw my daughter having the same issues with her weight as I did at her age. I couldn't be happier about my/our decision to have her get the lap-band. Dr Ortiz and his staff are the greatest and you would be in the best of hands with them. I think that the advice given by CanadianBandster is excellent. If she could read this forum maybe some her fears or objections might be resolved. Everyone here is rooting for you!

Diana

I am serious about getting a Lap Band and I have been researching it constantly. I finally had the guts to ask my mom but she is severly against it. I have explained why I want and need it, but they all shoot it down. I have tried many ways to convince them and they won't budge. I myself, am worried about my future health and dreams. Currently, I am under the age of 18 so I can't just try to get it done myself. Do you have any ideas to help me, or even them, convince them its okay. I am open to books, researches, and/or someone to talk to them and share their experiences. Please for my health, and sanity, help me in any way you can. Even if you just say to give it up. Thank you.

I like to add to the good advise that has been posted. Have your Mom look up the posts that are about Cassie. Cassie was very young when she was banded. She has been featured on the Oprah show too. I can say that if your under the age of 18, it's against FDA regulations for anyone under the age of 18 to be banded in the USA. The OCC has banded hundreds of teenagers/young adults. Also, check out the OCC website, they have a section on teenagers and banding. I've said this before,, I wish the band had been around when I was your age,,, do I wish...

Thank You so much for replying. Her main objection is that she thinks it is unsafe. She fears that I will get it done and then a mishap will hapen. Basically what all parents fear for their children when they are uneducated on the subject their kids want to do. I will try to get her to read this forum this weekend. Cross your fingers.

Another thing I want to add....I wish I could have done this when I was your age - it would have saved me years and years of feeling horrible about myself and being unhealthy. I myself have two children and if they ever had a weight probably I would in a heartbeat allow them to have this surgery at the OCC after experiencing how great it is. If your mom has questions feel free to have her come on and ask questions!