I had my first fill this past Tueaday, and I now feel like a real bandster!! I was on liquids for 3 days like Dr. Acosta said at the OCC. Today was my first day of solid foods. I know that I have to chew and chew and chew, and I have been practicing since my pre-op diet. But now that I have a fill everytime I take a bit of food and I chew then swallow I have a great deal of pain and then I PB. So then I wait a few mintues after PBing and once the pain is gone and I feel ok I try to eat again. Sometimes I can swallow and eat but sometimes the pain, like I have swallowed an orange, continues and I eat through it. I can only eat about a cup maybe a cup and a bit of food and I'm either full or can't handle the pain anymore.

My question is...is the pain from the food going through the band or is the pain from the food going through the esofagus(spelling?) and into the pouch? So once I swallow the food sits in the pouch for a long time and slowly goes through the band and into the larger stomach,right! That's why I feel full longer. So where is the pain coming from? I'm I really not chewing that well? I think I am, like 20-30 times before I swallow.

Or does the food go through the band as soon as I swallow, and that's why there is pain, cause I didn't chew enough or I am to tight with my fill. And the full feeling is the food sitting in my large stomach?

If you follow where I'm going with my question please help me in answering the question! I hope I was clear in what I was asking!

Jenelle

You may have aggravated something earlier and now every time you eat its swollen so you’re having problems.

I recommend going on liquids again for a couple of days (I go for 3, but I now it’s hard when you just got off the liquid diet) and let things simmer down. Then start with soft foods, (fish is good) and measure them –at first its hard since we don’t realize how much we eat, start with ¼ cup of protein, really small cut up pieces of soft cooked veggies, ¼ cup, I chew each small bite at least 30 times – by goal is to liquefy my food. So some times it takes more chews. (It takes a while for the food to go down, at least an hour at times and sometimes longer)

Once you take a bite, wait – see how you feel and don’t put anything on top of it doesn’t feel right – try not to PB – that aggravates your band.

If this continues you may need an unfill. (But I've been there before and was able to work it out - its hard sometimes with a really good feel to learn how to manage it - you just don't want to push it to long since it can cause problems).

Best,

Lisa

Hi

I agree with Lisa. Start again. Do a day of liquids to let everything settle down and then start slow with cottage cheese ,yoghurt etc then soft fish

minced turkey and then solid protein.

I still have a hard time with the little amount we can eat. I followed a good tip from Lisa and bought some 1/2 cup rubbermaid containers and prefill before eating.

It doesn't look much,but its enough.

Hope you feel better.

I have not gone back to the OCC for a fill. I have had all of mine here in Dallas. My Fill Dr. recommends 7 days on liquids. My first fill, I thought, I will follow the OCC rules since they did my surgery. I felt like crap when I started eating 3 days later. I couldnt eat anything, the restriction was major and the pain was rough. So, my second fill I decided to do the 7 days of liquids. I felt so much better when I started eating solids. You may need more days on liquids right after your fill & then definitely start slow on what you eat, very soft foods first. Good luck, hope you feel better soon!

Hey Jenelle--

I feel for you, girl. I had my second fill and completely planned on liquids for the first 3 days afterwards. The day after the fill, my coworker brought a muffin from Starbucks to work for me. She does not know about me having the lap-band and I didn't want to hurt her feelings by not accepting the muffin from her (plus it looked and smelled delicious!). After literally one bite I was in such pain I had tears in my eyes. I made an excuse about saving the rest for later. Remained on liquids for rest of the time and have been doing good since then. I think your decision to head back to the liquids is spot on. Good luck to you!

Diana

Hey Jenelle--

I feel for you, girl. I had my second fill and completely planned on liquids for the first 3 days afterwards. The day after the fill, my coworker brought a muffin from Starbucks to work for me. She does not know about me having the lap-band and I didn't want to hurt her feelings by not accepting the muffin from her (plus it looked and smelled delicious!). After literally one bite I was in such pain I had tears in my eyes. I made an excuse about saving the rest for later. Remained on liquids for rest of the time and have been doing good since then. I think your decision to head back the liquids is spot on. Good luck to you!

Diana

Oh Diana! I had a bite of a muffin too & was so miserable! No more!