Excess skin

This is the first time that I've lost weight where my skin hasn't bounced back and remained as taut as it was before. For the first time in my life, I see sagging skin, not just around my stomach (which I expected) but around my legs and arms. This got me wondering, for people who have 100+ pounds to lose, where does all that excess skin go? Does it shrink back eventually, or once you're past a certain age, is excess skin an inevitability? I especially would love to hear from people who have lost 100+ lbs. Did your skin ever get back to normal after your weight loss?

Thanks,

Vangirl

This is the first time that I've lost weight where my skin hasn't bounced back and remained as taut as it was before. For the first time in my life, I see sagging skin, not just around my stomach (which I expected) but around my legs and arms. This got me wondering, for people who have 100+ pounds to lose, where does all that excess skin go? Does it shrink back eventually, or once you're past a certain age, is excess skin an inevitability? I especially would love to hear from people who have lost 100+ lbs. Did your skin ever get back to normal after your weight loss?

Thanks,

Vangirl

I think age and how much you have lost are the main factors. I was age 54-55 when I lost my weight. Needless to say,, I didn't like what I saw in the mirror. I went to Cosmed Clinic last October and had a Lower Body Lift.

I'm like Dolittle, (but just a bit younger) I had to have surgery to correct. My arms did come back - not perfect but livable.

It very personal, the best is to consult with a plastic surgeon for advice if you believe you might need it. Mine was very honest and it gave me time to start saving my funds.

Good luck!

Lisa

I have been looking into a plastic surgen also. Its been 68lbs for me and I have another 32 to get to goal. I have checked severeal places here in the states as well as several places in Mexico. All surgens have told me that I need to be at 175 and there for atleast 3 months. So I need to get 23lbs off. And stay at that for the 3 months. I have been at 198 for 3 months now. So I need to kick it into gear and get to goal. I started to excersice more now. And I hope to get to 175 by my birthday in July. And hope to have my tummy tuck by September or October. Keep us posted with what you find out.

I am 36 and have lost 65 pounds at this point with another 17.5 to go on my own. I had a consult two weeks ago today for a lower body lift, inner thigh lift and brachioplasty (arms). The LBL would be done first and then the arms and thighs would be done in a separate surgery at another time. This surgeon said that he would be willing to do the surgery now since I only have another 17 or so to go on my own. If I had told him I wanted to lose another 50 pounds, he said that would mean I would need to wait much longer. He is thinking the lower body lift by itself will remove about 15 pounds of skin and fat and while it won't significantly help my inner thighs, it might be enough that I decide to not have them lifted, but being the vain person I am, I doubt it. I may decide to start this process in April as opposed to my original thought of October and my second thought of July. I have a large bone structure and really don't see myself much below 160. But then again, I have never been this small in my adult life, so how would I know where I want to be.

On Thursday of this week I have a consult with a surgeon who does not do lower body lifts. I attended one of his open houses and talked to him briefly. He said that as long as the patient is within 10 pounds of their goal weight he will do the procedure. If he thinks I need a LBL he will refer me to someone else. If not, he would do a tummy tuck, inner thigh and brachioplasty. I am not sure if I could have these all done at the same time or if they would also be split up into two separate surgeries. Depending on what I hear on Thursday I might go for a consultation with a third doctor and see what he says in regards to having the LBL or tummy tuck.

My lower arms were starting to look like my grandma's arms and she is almost 83, so I got some tips from my spin instructor and started doing weight exercises to target that area. According to my fill doctor and the spin instructor the exercises should take care of that issue, but the tummy, arms and thighs are beyond exercise help. I love to wear shorts and nice t-shirts in the summer, but something tells me that this summer my arms will stay at my sides and I will be purchasing shorts that barely come above my knee because things have started falling below the hems if you know what I mean.

There is visible scarring with both, but it is my understanding that the scar is typically hidden by undies or a swim suit - even a bikini. The first guy I had a consult with told me I would be able to wear a bikini and I told him that no I would not. We went back and forth a few times before I agreed that I could wear one if I chose to but that I had no intention of ever choosing to. I am way too modest of a person to ever consider that. A tankini is the closest I will ever get to a bikini.

With the LBL the scar is much longer in that it extends part of the way around your side while the relgular TT is just in front. Google plastic surgeons in your area. Most of them have pictures on their web-sites so that you can get an idea of the scarring and such.

There is visible scarring with both, but it is my understanding that the scar is typically hidden by undies or a swim suit - even a bikini. The first guy I had a consult with told me I would be able to wear a bikini and I told him that no I would not. We went back and forth a few times before I agreed that I could wear one if I chose to but that I had no intention of ever choosing to. I am way too modest of a person to ever consider that. A tankini is the closest I will ever get to a bikini.

With the LBL the scar is much longer in that it extends part of the way around your side while the relgular TT is just in front. Google plastic surgeons in your area. Most of them have pictures on their web-sites so that you can get an idea of the scarring and such.

sharon, i've got similar concerns with regards to sagging skin. mind you, i'm a couple months behind you and still have a long way to go, but it's definitely something i want to plan for (even if that means having an LBL and breast lift). i hope you're coming tomorrow night to our support group. i think i remember Patricia saying she was looking into it. she'd be great to talk to about this. also, i remember another long time bandster at the january meeting telling me she had had it done at false creek surgical center. i don't remember her name as that was the first time i met her. anyways, bring it up in the group and i'm sure you'll get some feedback.

My tummy tuck left a dark brown scar, but I covered it with a tattoo. I love it now.100_1915-2.jpg

sharon, i've got similar concerns with regards to sagging skin. mind you, i'm a couple months behind you and still have a long way to go, but it's definitely something i want to plan for (even if that means having an LBL and breast lift). i hope you're coming tomorrow night to our support group. i think i remember Patricia saying she was looking into it. she'd be great to talk to about this. also, i remember another long time bandster at the january meeting telling me she had had it done at false creek surgical center. i don't remember her name as that was the first time i met her. anyways, bring it up in the group and i'm sure you'll get some feedback.

Hey I had my surgery done at false creek, tummy tuck and boob job. Dr. van Laeken did it. she was good! they won't operate on Americans any longer, or I would go back.

I've got the extended tummy tuck which is like Dolittles, the scar goes all around my back and is just two inches apart.

The scar is not pretty but its low enough that I can hide it. I also did lippo on my back and sides to give me curves – I’ve seen some that are really straight when you reach around the back with your scar and I didn’t want that look. I like girly curves and did end up with them. I'll take the scar any day over the apron..... Not pretty..... I actually love my scar now that I think about it - its kind of like my badge at this point.....

I am 36 and have lost 65 pounds at this point with another 17.5 to go on my own. I had a consult two weeks ago today for a lower body lift, inner thigh lift and brachioplasty (arms). The LBL would be done first and then the arms and thighs would be done in a separate surgery at another time. This surgeon said that he would be willing to do the surgery now since I only have another 17 or so to go on my own. If I had told him I wanted to lose another 50 pounds, he said that would mean I would need to wait much longer. He is thinking the lower body lift by itself will remove about 15 pounds of skin and fat and while it won't significantly help my inner thighs, it might be enough that I decide to not have them lifted, but being the vain person I am, I doubt it. I may decide to start this process in April as opposed to my original thought of October and my second thought of July. I have a large bone structure and really don't see myself much below 160. But then again, I have never been this small in my adult life, so how would I know where I want to be.

On Thursday of this week I have a consult with a surgeon who does not do lower body lifts. I attended one of his open houses and talked to him briefly. He said that as long as the patient is within 10 pounds of their goal weight he will do the procedure. If he thinks I need a LBL he will refer me to someone else. If not, he would do a tummy tuck, inner thigh and brachioplasty. I am not sure if I could have these all done at the same time or if they would also be split up into two separate surgeries. Depending on what I hear on Thursday I might go for a consultation with a third doctor and see what he says in regards to having the LBL or tummy tuck.

My lower arms were starting to look like my grandma's arms and she is almost 83, so I got some tips from my spin instructor and started doing weight exercises to target that area. According to my fill doctor and the spin instructor the exercises should take care of that issue, but the tummy, arms and thighs are beyond exercise help. I love to wear shorts and nice t-shirts in the summer, but something tells me that this summer my arms will stay at my sides and I will be purchasing shorts that barely come above my knee because things have started falling below the hems if you know what I mean.

HI there! I have a bit to go, but know I will need work on my arms. I've found a couple doctors but curious who you talked to and what you think if them. Any feedback is appreciated! I might be able to get away with the tummy, but my arms are already a mess and i've got a ways to go.

Thanks!!!

HI there! I have a bit to go, but know I will need work on my arms. I've found a couple doctors but curious who you talked to and what you think if them. Any feedback is appreciated! I might be able to get away with the tummy, but my arms are already a mess and i've got a ways to go.

Thanks!!!

You have been PM'd.