Laxatives Before Surgery?

I'm having my surgery on Sunday. I was told by a friend who has a band that she took a mild laxative the day before surgery to clean herself out. She said she never had any gas problems and she thinks the laxative may be why. Has anyone else done this or heard of this? Also, does anyone suggest taking a liquid multi vitamin or anything while I'm on the liquid diet? I want to keep as nourished as possible. Thanks-I'm soooo excited...

I did take and still take a liquid vitamin - Im 6 months post op :D but I need an unfil

I wouldnt do the laxative - sometimes those can make u bloated or make u have an upset stomach - if decide to take one, I would do it two days before just in case. I have had to take them before a few times and usually I am okay - but 3 or 4 times it has made my stomach rumble a lot and hurt - and u definately dont want that. I wasnt gassy at all after surgery....everyones different, you never know if you will be or not. From previously surgery experience though - as soon as they would let me, I was up walking and walked as much as I was able to.

Now - if only I felt as good after this PS I had 5 weeks ago as I did after the band - after 3 weeks of being banded I felt normal and back to myself - but now I still hurt like H@LL - I can not wait to feel like a normal person again! SOOOOOOOOOOOOO worth it though!

Congratulations and good luck - its awesome - it is the best (and hardest) thing I have ever done for myself...but now that I am at goal - it is amazing to be able to walk into a store and buy anything I want - or actually like pictures of myself!

I wouldn't take anything before your surgery unless it has been recommended that you take it by the person doing the surgery. That can include supplements, many can cause you to bleed heavily and you're suppose to be off all (or most) for a couple of weeks.

I know people who have taken things without approval and had their surgeries canceled. They will know, it can come up on the blood work.

And I can’t imagine taking a laxative and then having surgery, can you imagine what could happen if it hit you hard, when you are out and don’t have control over your body – ick….

Congrats on the surgery, call and check before you do or take anything.

Best,

Lisa

I did take and still take a liquid vitamin - Im 6 months post op :D but I need an unfil

I wouldnt do the laxative - sometimes those can make u bloated or make u have an upset stomach - if decide to take one, I would do it two days before just in case. I have had to take them before a few times and usually I am okay - but 3 or 4 times it has made my stomach rumble a lot and hurt - and u definately dont want that. I wasnt gassy at all after surgery....everyones different, you never know if you will be or not. From previously surgery experience though - as soon as they would let me, I was up walking and walked as much as I was able to.

Now - if only I felt as good after this PS I had 5 weeks ago as I did after the band - after 3 weeks of being banded I felt normal and back to myself - but now I still hurt like H@LL - I can not wait to feel like a normal person again! SOOOOOOOOOOOOO worth it though!

Congratulations and good luck - its awesome - it is the best (and hardest) thing I have ever done for myself...but now that I am at goal - it is amazing to be able to walk into a store and buy anything I want - or actually like pictures of myself!

Thanks CanadianBandster. I read that they took fat and put it in your bum? Are you joking? That's awesome!!! Good luck with your recovery.

I wouldn't take anything before your surgery unless it has been recommended that you take it by the person doing the surgery. That can include supplements, many can cause you to bleed heavily and you're suppose to be off all (or most) for a couple of weeks.

I know people who have taken things without approval and had their surgeries canceled. They will know, it can come up on the blood work.

And I can’t imagine taking a laxative and then having surgery, can you imagine what could happen if it hit you hard, when you are out and don’t have control over your body – ick….

Congrats on the surgery, call and check before you do or take anything.

Best,

Lisa

Exactly what I was thinking! What if I am under anesthisia (sp) and that stuff kicked in...embarassing!!!

I was on a liquid vitamin during post op and man it tasted like hell! But I suffered through it and then moved on to a chewable and those are absolutely edible. I do the Centrum chewable and it is an orange flavor and is actually not bad. I also do the CVS brand calcium chews and they are tasty as well - do the caramel ones.

Good luck!!