constipation post op

Abby

I am experiencing constipation. I am 20 days post op. Could you please offer suggestions?
After surgery, many patients experiance this, a lot of it comes from the big change in your diet, some of its from the surgery drugs. Go get some "Milk of Mag", it works wonders!

• 3 months later...
After surgery, many patients experiance this, a lot of it comes from the big change in your diet, some of its from the surgery drugs. Go get some "Milk of Mag", it works wonders!

I gained weight after surgery and plane flight home??? Is this normal and will it come off, I cant imagine liquid only and gaining 9 lbs???

Welcome to Bandland Abby and Chattmom!

Abby - what Dolittle suggested is good and what I've been doing is take Benefiber, either the unflavored powder in my liquids or those Orange-Creme chewables - both are good. I like to do the chewables at first so it feels like I am 'eating' (smile). The other thing I like is the Fiber Chioce, as it helps with the 'rotor rooter' plumbing too and with the hunger pangs.

Chattmom - every person's body is different and some gain and some lose. You may be experiencing a lot of gas issues from the surgery itself. Take some kind of reliever to assist you. I've used the Gas X strips at first and then I take the tiny, tiny blue pills - both works wonders for me.

Give yourself some time ladies...you just had the surgery and this is the time to let your body get use to the newly pouch and band. Listen to your body and act accordingly. Even though you can't do any hard core exercises, don't sit around either. WALK, WALK, WALK is your main exercises right now as it helps keepyour heart rate to speed, your metabolism going, and the movements will help get any or all of your gas bubbles you may have occur during your surgery.

Be patient and stay focus. Stick with the plan your nutritionist has given you and if you have any issues, don't hesitate to call to relieve any concerns you may have.

Contrats on making this decision for you are in for an amazing ride! Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing! Jazzy!!

I've heard warm prune juice does a great job of getting things moving again. ;)

Hi,

I'm just 11 days post op and found that Dannon's probiotic yogurt culture drink worked REALLY well!! It's only .5 of a cup, but it packs a punch. :D

Cheryl[/size]