HCG Injections

Lindsay--im not wanting to argue either, but several of us had said we got results. I start my day with 40 minutes on my elliptical. I do A LOT of exercising & doing heavt weight circut training. I have a trainer assisting me. While you can do your research and find negatives you can also find positives on HCG. Many of us are at stand stills, many of us have talked to our doctors and even they don't understand.

I'm throwing in my two cents as the husband of a bandster...not the site admin :)

I've researched this to some extent in the past. There is no scientific evidence that supports the use of HCG for weight loss. Period. Believe me, I've looked. People that lose weight on this diet either lose weight because of the highly restrictive 500 calorie diet or placebo effect. Not from the HCG directly. If you do enough research, it's not hard to find this out for yourself.

It's beyond me why registered nurses would be distributing this as a weight loss solution. They may be wonderful people, but that seems a bit irresponsible on their part. I would be interested to see any factual based evidence they use to support those actions.

Chad

I'm throwing in my two cents as the husband of a bandster...not the site admin :)

I've researched this to some extent in the past. There is no scientific evidence that supports the use of HCG for weight loss. Period. Believe me, I've looked. People that lose weight on this diet either lose weight because of the highly restrictive 500 calorie diet or placebo effect. Not from the HCG directly. If you do enough research, it's not hard to find this out for yourself.

It's beyond me why registered nurses would be distributing this as a weight loss solution. They may be wonderful people, but that seems a bit irresponsible on their part. I would be interested to see any factual based evidence they use to support those actions.

Chad

Agreed!

I agree Chad and so do some of the top Doc’s in the country.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400413/Preg...eight-Loss.html

As Andy says “Don't waste your money”.

I have read some great articles and conversation on this topic. Thanks to all for your perspective. =)

Lindsay--im not wanting to argue either, but several of us had said we got results. I start my day with 40 minutes on my elliptical. I do A LOT of exercising & doing heavt weight circut training. I have a trainer assisting me. While you can do your research and find negatives you can also find positives on HCG. Many of us are at stand stills, many of us have talked to our doctors and even they don't understand.

That's just it.

i can't find ANY research based 'positives' - only nurses and 'doctors' endorsing the product(s) they sell.

Please find me research backing this stuff. That's all I'm asking for at this point!

I would challenge your weight stand-still into the ground.

With a very strong background in bodybuilding & figure nutrition, I would be more than happy to shed some light your workouts and nutrition.

PM me if you're interested.

Hey LisaLaw--

I am going to try to get in the clinic on Tuesday for the HCG. They will do complete bloodwork and then put me on them. Let's do it!!! :)

I guaran-freakintee your weight will move. Call me tomorrow!

Hey LisaLaw--

I am going to try to get in the clinic on Tuesday for the HCG. They will do complete bloodwork and then put me on them. Let's do it!!! :)

I guaran-freakintee your weight will move. Call me tomorrow!

Hi Dana,

Let me know how this works for you! If your weight moves again, then I might try to find someone in San Diego who does this. I'm at a serious plateau right now. Good Luck!

With a very strong background in bodybuilding & figure nutrition, I would be more than happy to shed some light your workouts and nutrition.

PM me if you're interested.

I am baffled (???)

with such a strong background in bodybuilding and nutrition - why would you need a lapband?

She’s probably like me, I work for some great doctors, have nutritionists and dieticians who work for me, my son is a personal trainer – I had access to awesome facilities and no matter what – I couldn’t succeed without the band.

Hey Lisa,

I can’t see how you’d ever be able to weigh 135, I go between 139/141 and I’m a size 2 in pants/skirts (I'm like 3 inches shorter than you) you would be a size 00 girl if you did that! I was never this small at this weight before - I can weigh more and I’m much smaller – it could be my workouts or like Mona use to say – our bones now weigh more. Its strange.

LL

lisal,

Sizes are strange thing! My "has always been thin" sister is 5' 9" and weighs around 135. She wears a size 6 on the bottom, size 4 top. She works out daily, always has. Her 5' 9" daughter is maybe 120 and wears a size 2. Neither one of them is size 0. I guess it must be our "big-boned" German girl heritage. Maybe our bones do weight more and take up more room in clothing too!

Who really knows with sizes? They change them all the time anyway!

So, LisaLaw could get down to 135 and she may or may not be a size 0. I weighed 135 when I was younger and I did not wear a size 0. Of course, that was a long time ago and back then there was no such thing as a size 0. Sizes pretty much started at a 2 back in the dark ages when I went to high school. I think the size 0 was added in the 1980's.

But, then sizes could be a whole new thread of its own.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program. ;-)

Dawn

lisal,

Sizes are strange thing! My "has always been thin" sister is 5' 9" and weighs around 135. She wears a size 6 on the bottom, size 4 top. She works out daily, always has. Her 5' 9" daughter is maybe 120 and wears a size 2. Neither one of them is size 0. I guess it must be our "big-boned" German girl heritage. Maybe our bones do weight more and take up more room in clothing too!

Who really knows with sizes? They change them all the time anyway!

So, LisaLaw could get down to 135 and she may or may not be a size 0. I weighed 135 when I was younger and I did not wear a size 0. Of course, that was a long time ago and back then there was no such thing as a size 0. Sizes pretty much started at a 2 back in the dark ages when I went to high school. I think the size 0 was added in the 1980's.

But, then sizes could be a whole new thread of its own.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program. ;-)

Dawn

LOL

Dawn is right. I actually used to weigh 125 lbs after my 1st child was born. I would be happy around 135-140, that is a size 8 for me

Just a big boned German/Norwegian girl

:D

LOL

Dawn is right. I actually used to weigh 125 lbs after my 1st child was born. I would be happy around 135-140, that is a size 8 for me

:D Three cheers for us girls of German heritage, big bones and apple cheeks! When I was at my thinnest, 130 lbs., I was a size 8 for the most part. I’m 5’6”. So yes, everyone is different. I just wanted to get my 2 cents in on the HCG topic. I will be getting banded on July 21st and the reason I want to do this is because I’m tired of chasing the “miracles” out there. I’ve tried them all, like PhenFen, appetite suppressants and a multitude of products that promise to be “the one”. Yes, they work for awhile, but not long term. For once I just want to lose the weight by eating right and exercising. For me the lap band is part of that triangle. Lap band/nutrition/exercise. I don’t want to try anymore temporary products. I do like the idea suggested of posting what you’ve been eating for the last 5 days (as Lindsay suggested) to see if anyone can give some sound advice on what to change that may be beneficial. That will be very helpful when I hit my first plateau, which I’m sure I’ will hit at some point after being banded. This site has really helped me prepare mentally for what is going to be happening to me over the next several months. Thank you all who participate. It really is so informative.

:D Three cheers for us girls of German heritage, big bones and apple cheeks! When I was at my thinnest, 130 lbs., I was a size 8 for the most part. I’m 5’6”. So yes, everyone is different. I just wanted to get my 2 cents in on the HCG topic. I will be getting banded on July 21st and the reason I want to do this is because I’m tired of chasing the “miracles” out there. I’ve tried them all, like PhenFen, appetite suppressants and a multitude of products that promise to be “the one”. Yes, they work for awhile, but not long term. For once I just want to lose the weight by eating right and exercising. For me the lap band is part of that triangle. Lap band/nutrition/exercise. I don’t want to try anymore temporary products. I do like the idea suggested of posting what you’ve been eating for the last 5 days (as Lindsay suggested) to see if anyone can give some sound advice on what to change that may be beneficial. That will be very helpful when I hit my first plateau, which I’m sure I’ will hit at some point after being banded. This site has really helped me prepare mentally for what is going to be happening to me over the next several months. Thank you all who participate. It really is so informative.

I totally agree with you, that is why I had the lapband. I was tired of dieting & gaining weight. It was a cycle. I can do any diet. I am not gaining weight any longer and I lost at a fast pace at the begining. But, get ready you can hit a plateau for MONTHS! Some of us have really struggled. For me it has been since January. I am working out like a crazy woman, eating very well and STUCK!!! So, just be prepared if it happens not to lose sight of the prize. I read posts for months before my surgery and I never thought I would have plateaued like I have. I thought people were lying about what they were eating and NOT exercising. I now know what it means to be at a stand still for a LONG time. It can be frustrating when you are so tight and can't eat till the afternoon. I know LisaLaw and I have experienced a lot of the same things & it is NOT because we are bad bandsters. We are thinking that maybe the HCG will get the scale to move. It is hard to gain weight with your band. Unless you are just a pig. LOL If I can get it moving again, I would feel really good. Also, Me and LisaLaw were banded way before Lindsay, I have posted my diet before & nothing has changed. So, I am not really looking for a person here to tell me what I am doing wrong, when I have a Dr., trainer, and nutritionist assisting me on my journey. Good luck on your journey!

I totally agree with you, that is why I had the lapband. I was tired of dieting & gaining weight. It was a cycle. I can do any diet. I am not gaining weight any longer and I lost at a fast pace at the begining. But, get ready you can hit a plateau for MONTHS! Some of us have really struggled. For me it has been since January. I am working out like a crazy woman, eating very well and STUCK!!! So, just be prepared if it happens not to lose sight of the prize. I read posts for months before my surgery and I never thought I would have plateaued like I have. I thought people were lying about what they were eating and NOT exercising. I now know what it means to be at a stand still for a LONG time. It can be frustrating when you are so tight and can't eat till the afternoon. I know LisaLaw and I have experienced a lot of the same things & it is NOT because we are band bandsters. We are thinking that maybe the HCG will get the scale to move. It is hard to gain weight with your band. Unless you are just a pig. LOL If I can get it moving again, I would feel really good. Also, Me and LisaLaw were banded way before Lindsay, I have posted my diet before & nothing has changed. So, I am not really looking for a person here to tell me what I am doing wrong, when I have a Dr., trainer, and nutritionist assisting me on my journey. Good luck on your journey!

Thanks Dana...I understand your frustration. If you think that you have exhausted all other possibilities and think that the injections (just like a lot of people that do B12 self injections) will get you over your hurdle, then you ultimately must do what you feel is best, as long as it isn't harmful. Believe me, with PhenFen, before they outlawed it, I wasn't minutely interested in eating. That is HUGE for me because I have a big appetite. But I gained all the weight back and on top of it, had to have tests to make sure my heart wasn't damaged. I was lucky that it wasn't. Just be careful and make wise choices. Thanks for the support!

I totally agree with you, that is why I had the lapband. I was tired of dieting & gaining weight. It was a cycle. I can do any diet. I am not gaining weight any longer and I lost at a fast pace at the begining. But, get ready you can hit a plateau for MONTHS! Some of us have really struggled. For me it has been since January. I am working out like a crazy woman, eating very well and STUCK!!! So, just be prepared if it happens not to lose sight of the prize. I read posts for months before my surgery and I never thought I would have plateaued like I have. I thought people were lying about what they were eating and NOT exercising. I now know what it means to be at a stand still for a LONG time. It can be frustrating when you are so tight and can't eat till the afternoon. I know LisaLaw and I have experienced a lot of the same things & it is NOT because we are band bandsters. We are thinking that maybe the HCG will get the scale to move. It is hard to gain weight with your band. Unless you are just a pig. LOL If I can get it moving again, I would feel really good. Also, Me and LisaLaw were banded way before Lindsay, I have posted my diet before & nothing has changed. So, I am not really looking for a person here to tell me what I am doing wrong, when I have a Dr., trainer, and nutritionist assisting me on my journey. Good luck on your journey!

[/quote

I think people are just giving their opinions on the HCG like any other topic in any other forum... I didnt get a vibe that people here were telling you that what you were doing was wrong. If HCG works for you and you love it... go for it. Who knows... may work for me too.

Yes, everyone has a right to their opinion. I just think folks shouldn't tell someone it wont work they just read on the internet and haven't tried it. I mentioned several in my family it did work for and they kept the weight off. People can argue whether or not it works, but most of them haven't used it. LOL

HCG attacks the stored fat in the body, the fat that has been there forever. So, when you eat really low fat, you naturally burn that off in the day and the HCG attacks the old stuff. I know people mentioned 500 calories. I ate more than that, in fact I didnt count calories. (I ate smart & healthy just didnt count) I counted fat grams--its been 2 years since i did it, I cant remember but I think I kept it around 15 grams a day. At any rate, I am going to see if I can be seen tomorrow, so I will let everyone know what the new rules are. :) CHEERS!

LOL

I am stumped with a weight loss goal as well. I am 5'5" and Dr. Miranda told me that 166 would be a perfect weight for me. I was thinking more of 140 but she said I have to be very toned for 140 to work for my body. About 6 years ago, I weighed 162 and wore a size 9. All of my friends and family swore I was about 130! I had a tummy tuck since and am not certain about the weight I would like to reach. For now, I would like to be between 140 and 166. I guess I won't ever know until I get there.

HCG is not a steroid, but a naturally occurring peptide hormone, produced by the embryo in the early stages of pregnancy and later by the trophoblast (part of the placenta) to help control a pregnant woman´s hormones.

IN OTHER WORDS, IT`S BULLSH*t.

And it's not even readily available. Where are those 'nurses' buying it from?! THAILAND!!!

HCG is a glycoprotein composed of 244 amino acids, and has not to date been banned by the FDA. They extract it from a pregnant woman's urine, actually. It's used as a tumor marker, for fertility treatment, and in the UK is being looked at for weight loss.

That being said, the only thing it HAS been banned from SPORTS on all levels as those who abuse steroids, use it to re-attune their body to producing its own testosterone after they're coming off a steroid cycle.

I don't know where you come up with your information, but it's wrong.

HCG is a glycoprotein composed of 244 amino acids, and has not to date been banned by the FDA. They extract it from a pregnant woman's urine, actually. It's used as a tumor marker, for fertility treatment, and in the UK is being looked at for weight loss.

That being said, the only thing it HAS been banned from SPORTS on all levels as those who abuse steroids, use it to re-attune their body to producing its own testosterone after they're coming off a steroid cycle.

Trav!

Where have you been all my life?! You always pop in with your smart self and useful information. :)

that's a fantastic Wikipedia cut and paste, but it's unfortunate you didn't read the rest of the entry.

It is heterodimeric, with an α (alpha) subunit identical to that of luteinizing hormone (LH), follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH), thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH), and β (beta) subunit that is unique to hCG.
The hormone human chorionic gonadotropin (better known as hCG) is produced during pregnancy. It is made by cells that form the placenta, which nourishes the egg after it has been fertilized and becomes attached to the uterine wall.
Source: http://www.americanpregnancy.org/duringpre.../hcglevels.html
Human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) is a gonad-stimulating polypeptide hormone normally secreted by the placenta during pregnancy.
Source: http://www.tc-cancer.com/dictionary.html

It is certifiably a hormone.

and from the SAME Wikipedia Entry on Human Chorionic Gonadotrpin:

Weight loss

A controversial usage of hCG is as an adjunct to the British endocrinologist Dr. A.T.W. Simeons' ultra-low-calorie weight-loss diet.[7] Simeons, while studying pregnant women in India on a calorie-deficient diet, and “fat boys” with pituitary problems treated with low-dose hCG, discovered that both lost fat rather than lean (muscle) tissue. He reasoned that hCG must be programming the hypothalamus to do this in the former cases in order to protect the developing fœtus, and proceeded to use low-dose daily hCG injections (125 mg) in combination with a customized ultra-low-calorie (500 cal/day, high-protein, low-carbohydrate/fat) diet to help obese adults lose dramatic amounts of adipose tissue without loss of lean, at a Salvator Mundi International Hospital in Rome, Italy, clinic mainly for celebrities. After Simeons’ mysterious death, the diet started to spread to specialized centers and via popularization by such as the controversial popular author Kevin Trudeau (search for hCG in that article for more details).

The controversy proceeds from warnings by the Journal of the American Medical Association[8] and the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition[9] that hCG is not safe,[8] indeed ineffective, as a weight-loss aid[10] on its own; yet its usage as cited above to increase testosterone production contradicts this assertion, since much late-life male obesity is associated with estrogen dominance and deficient testosterone in the mis-named, so-called andropause. Furthermore, in the Simeons protocol, it is, as in any diet, the ultra-low-calorie component (caloric deficit) that results in weight loss, if the protocol is followed strictly. hCG’s role is supposedly to trigger the hypothalamic lean-protection mechanisms Simeons thought he saw, thus promoting mobilization and consumption of abnormal, excessive adipose deposits, while protecting normal adipose and lean tissue from being consumed, with the assumption that these protective hypothalamic mechanisms exist in males as well as females, to be acted upon by hCG.

The only organizations that tests for HCG is the Olympics & the MLB.

anyways, you guys can google this crap as well as I can.

I had never heard of this before this thread was started. It seems to me, regardless of all the copious quoted information, that many people have used this and have gotten significant, measurable weight loss results.

I disagree with the assertion that weight loss is as simple as "caloric deficiency". Numerous factors (including hormonal) are involved with metabolism and weight loss. Hormones from the thyroid control metabolism and also have a roll in reproduction. The hormone insulin is, of course, extremely important in metabolism and the uptake of energy by cells. Insulin resistance is on the rise--so regardless of the calories in or not, if your cells do not take up the energy provided (are resistent), insulin will help package that unused extra caloric load into body fat. The chemical reaction in our bodies that causes fat molecules to be broken down is actually called "hydrolysis"--meaning that for the fat burning reaction to even take place water (hydro) has to be present. Walking around dehydrated then will slow fat burning/weight loss. Adrenal insufficiency can influence weight loss (or even weight gain), regardless of the amount of calories that are restricted. Research is ongoing regarding calcium and carnitine as factors that need to be present for the cleaving of fatty acids from the fat molecule to release the stored energy, ie., fat burning. Folks that have done serious calorie restriction often operate in "starvation" mode, and can subsist on an extremely low amount of food and not burn fat because the human body will readjust metabolism to the lower calorie intake. For these reasons, and the fact that hundreds of studies of all kinds are going on in research of fat metabolism/weight loss, the process should be considered highly complex.

Thankfully, noone is just rolling over and playing dead on this topic and the amount of anger being lodged at those of us calling BS on the quackadoodle over-the-top hostility is becoming amusing.

Facts:

It is legal in the US

It is currently not legal to use in ML sports - if it is found, it is a known drug to level out steriod use (red flag)

It has been used for weight loss in UK through numerous trials

The beauty of this board is that people are supposed to respect each others opinions and questions as there is some great thoughts floating around.

If someone wants to try this for the short term, they have that right without being jumped on and have it insinuated that somehow we are losers for giving it 4 weeks. I for one am sick to death of the plateau I have been on since March - that is now nearly 4 months. Informing me to "adjust" my caloric needs or increase my cardio when you know nothing about what I have done successfully to get to this point does nothing but irritates people.

It is like the know-it-all auntie at the family dinner that everyone has to tolerate on special occassions.

oodles~