WEIGHT LOSS AFTER ONE WEEK FROM SURGERY

canadamama

I was banded just over a week ago and find that I have not lost any weight in the past 5 days, I don't think I am over eating as all I have had is clear liquids and I have not overdone it with high calorie liquids. Any suggestions and is this normal?

Not to be a downer for ya, but for whatever reason, I only lost 3 lbs on the liquid diet. I was bummed and very suprised. I hope you are not like me....that would just be cruddy!

Don't worry about losing weight until your first fill. Your body has just gone through some trauma (surgery) and is trying to heal. It's holding onto every calorie it can, and this will continue for some time after you go back on solids. Right now just worry about healing up and being healthy.

Clynn is SO right on this! EVERYONE is going to be different in how much you are going to lose during the first 21 days - up to 3 months post op. Like Clynn mentioned, your body has gone through surgery and you and your band need some time to adjust to it.

PLEASE don't rush this. It took you awhile to gain all this weight and you can't expect to lose much in a week's span. Give it time. Trust me, you will see the difference in no time. I am one of the lucky ones who listen to the other bandsters when I was banded in Oct last year. I took my time and just went with the flow. Sure it would be cool to lose right up front, but if your body is not ready, it's not going to happen just yet.

Right now, just focus on the new you. Read, read, read...Sip, sip, sip and Walk, walk, walk. Don't take long walks, but short mini ones to help get rid of any gas bubbles you may have lurking around your upper torso area. The more you walk and drink your water, the more your body will start to heal. Take the time to write down some small, reachable goals to achieve. Remember during your clear liquid stage, you can have as many 1/2 cups of liquids at a time, as many as you want, throughout the day. Don't forget to include your water and if you can, drink the Special K protein water. It will help with the protein intake and if you need more, do the whey liquid protein bullets you can get at GNC store. You do not count calories at this time nor during the creamy soup stage either. It also helps if you continue with the Metamucil capsules Dr. Miranda had you on during pre-op OR take the chewable Fiber Choice for Weight Managment (strawberry). Either one of these will assist with any hunger pangs - take one at 10am and one at 3pm. I also include Benefiber to help with the 'rotor rooter' plumbing (smile).

Be patience and you will see result in no time...baby steps equals to leaps of successes!

Jazzy!!

I was banded on June 29th. I have lost about 10 pounds BUT it varies. There has even been a day that I gained a pound. When the body receives trauma it reserves all of its resources and that includes calories. Stay the course it will happen.

Everyone is so different so don't worry. I lost 10lbs fast and then as soon as I could go back on solids I gained most of it back. When I went for my first fill, I had lost 7 and they were actually really impressed by that and said most people stay the same or gain. Not saying that to totally bum you out, but so that you know that is very normal.

Keep your chin up you will get there!

Don't be too discouraged, I had the same problem, I cried and was sooo upset after loosing 18# on the preop then gaining in the first week or so I was upset. ticked so emotional then after talking to some of co-workers (nurses) they reminded me that my body was in shock, the weight I lost prior to surgery got me ready for a platue then was taking almost no calories I think my body was going into starvation mode and holding onto what ever I gave it. Hold in there, I am now 5 months to the day of starting this journey (starting the preop diet) and am now down 58# with only 1 fill, and going for #2 on monday!

Wishing you the best!

Don't be too discouraged, I had the same problem, I cried and was sooo upset after loosing 18# on the preop then gaining in the first week or so I was upset. ticked so emotional then after talking to some of co-workers (nurses) they reminded me that my body was in shock, the weight I lost prior to surgery got me ready for a platue then was taking almost no calories I think my body was going into starvation mode and holding onto what ever I gave it. Hold in there, I am now 5 months to the day of starting this journey (starting the preop diet) and am now down 58# with only 1 fill, and going for #2 on monday!

Wishing you the best!

That is right the body is an awesome machine created to survive! It is frusterating but dont worry about weight loss untill after your first fill. But it is really important to get lote and LOts OF pROTIEN. mY dR. NURSE SAID 40-60% OF YOUR CALORIES. This will help your metabolism rise. We have to eat calories or the matabolism shuts down. So eat potien (CHEW CHEW CHEW)

I like ISOPURE which is a drink that costs me $3.25 @ my Dr. Office but it is worth it! It has 40grams of protein and NO carbs. Simple carbs will mess your body up.

Dont forget the water! work Hard to get 64oz- 8 glasses- this will help flush your system.

WATER< PROTIEN< EAT AND WALK<<<<< That is how to break a plateau.

• 3 weeks later...

So... I was banded on May 13 and did two weeks of liquids. I went for a two week check-up and was down 23 lbs... From 416 to 393. Since then I have averaged about 9 lbs monthly. I have had two fills since the surgery and still feel as if I can eat too much for the lapband. At what point will I really feel restriction?

So... I was banded on May 13 and did two weeks of liquids. I went for a two week check-up and was down 23 lbs... From 416 to 393. Since then I have averaged about 9 lbs monthly. I have had two fills since the surgery and still feel as if I can eat too much for the lapband. At what point will I really feel restriction?

Hi Keenan - Everyone is going to be different on this issues due to band size, etc. Have you been using portion control? That is the key and need to stick with this rule at all times. Restriction varies and everyone is going to be different on this. I, personally, didn't feel good restriction until my 3rd fill. Remember, your first fill will be like a 'primer', to get you ready for future fills, if needed.

When you had the band surgery, your stomach is totally mad at you! Then it's starts to heal and bond with your band. THEN, when you get your fill, your stomach is mad at you, again, and your stomach may swell because of the band tightness it's not use to...again! This is where you want to take it easy for the first few days and then progress to solid foods. Each time you get a fill, you will have a different reaction...and you go with the flow and go forward from there.

Hope this helps a bit...Jazzy!!

• 2 weeks later...

its been 12 days since my band and i dont feel anydiffernt i feel all sorts of emotions i just start crying i feel like im trying to do the right thing and nothing is working i dont want to go out i just stay in the house i never realized how much i based my life around food. i use to go out alot but alot of times it was for meals with friends or dates that say can i take u to dinner and i dont want to do that im still on liquids any other ideas of things to do?

its been 12 days since my band and i dont feel anydiffernt i feel all sorts of emotions i just start crying i feel like im trying to do the right thing and nothing is working i dont want to go out i just stay in the house i never realized how much i based my life around food. i use to go out alot but alot of times it was for meals with friends or dates that say can i take u to dinner and i dont want to do that im still on liquids any other ideas of things to do?

Hi Tiffany,

My heart goes out to you! I am on day 18 so 3 more days of liquids and then I can put some real food in my mouth! It is an amazing revelation, isn't it, to find out that food filled this huge emotional void in our lives. It is normal to feel all of these emotions...you've just lost your best friend as you knew it. I miss my binges too, but I'm trying to look at the big picture. I wasn't happy being obese. I don't care how comforting the food was. It can't make you happy in the long run, only more miserable as the pounds pack on. So just tell yourself that you are in the very early stages of your journey....things are going to get better. Force yourself to get out of the house. You will only sit there thinking about food. Go for a drive, or go to the store and look at all the clothes you are going to be able to wear that you can't now. I always suggest going and looking at before and after videos on YouTube so you see what a great thing you have done for yourself. You will be inspired! And it isn't as though you can never eat again. You will just be eating less and feeling satisfied. Hang in there! This forum will be there to support you. Best of luck...

Red