diet

canadamama

Can anyone explain to me why we are not to drink with our meals. I am almost to the end of my 21 days and want to make sure I am doing this right! I just want to understand it. Also can you tell me what you use for fibre supplements. I have the metamucil fibre pills but they are big. Can I still take it? Or would it get stuck?

I have heard different reasons given for NOT drinking and eating at the same time.

The reason I have heard most is that drinking while you are eating will wash the small, well chewed food through your small pouch too fast. This will have two effects.

You will be able to eat MORE food than your small pounch should allow.

You will not retain a full feeling from the food that you eat if you wash the small amount of food out of your pouch and into your larger stomach below.

I wait at least 30-45 minutes after I eat to drink, sometimes more and I have seen recommendations as high as two hours after eating on some other websites.

For some people, it seems giving up drinking and eating together is difficult. But, one book I read pointed out that animals do not stop eating to go get a drink, they eat when they are hungry and they drink when they are thirsty. He also pointed out that you do not see many obese animals unless they are being fed by people.

I use the Metamucil powder and Benefiber powder. Many people use the Metamucil pills and chewables. Whether or not you will have trouble swallowing a pill will depend on your restriction and the time of day you take the pill. I have trouble with all but the smallest of supplement pills so I take chewable or liquid forms when possible.

Hope this helps.

Dawn

Can anyone explain to me why we are not to drink with our meals. I am almost to the end of my 21 days and want to make sure I am doing this right! I just want to understand it. Also can you tell me what you use for fibre supplements. I have the metamucil fibre pills but they are big. Can I still take it? Or would it get stuck?

Hi CanadaMama,

How did those 21 days go? Was it a easier or harder than you thought it would be?

Thanks Dawn...that was so helpful.

So on the positive side...I actually feel pretty good about the last few weeks and it was a lot easier as the days went by. The first few days I felt like I was alone, and that I was being punished for some reason. I was a bit angry towards anyone that could eat at some points. However, I made myself busy and put myself to the test by spending my second day home at a family bbq with a buffet style dinner (my absolute favorite) and it was hard but not as hard as I thought it would be. Ignored the hunger pains and concentrated at not eating while feeding my 1 and 2 year old. I thought I would be wanting all types of foods that are my nemesis..but I am now feeling like first and foremost, my health and feeling better (which I absolutely feel rejuvenated each and every day) and my weight loss is far more addicting than any food out there. I am an emotional eater and I had no idea that I was until now. I guess I could say I am trying to take all the positive out of this.

On the negative side - I miss my drinking and have a hard time waiting to drink after eating. Right now I am just trying it out with the soups. Just to make sure I am trained for when I start my soft solids. I have eaten a little piece of sandwhich meat and a bit of chicken in my soup....little tiny pieces. I had no problem and did not eat much but it is hard when I am just use to eating with the kids.

All in all, I want to keep this attitude as in the past that is one of my main problems...I let myself get down! Thanks for asking....When is the big day for you again Red? I hope you are super pumped...I had a wonderful experience, they were so nice there. My nurse made me feel so comfortable and it was so much easier than I expected...and I use to obsessive about the negative! Keep us posted!!!! :D

Thanks Dawn...that was so helpful.

So on the positive side...I actually feel pretty good about the last few weeks and it was a lot easier as the days went by. The first few days I felt like I was alone, and that I was being punished for some reason. I was a bit angry towards anyone that could eat at some points. However, I made myself busy and put myself to the test by spending my second day home at a family bbq with a buffet style dinner (my absolute favorite) and it was hard but not as hard as I thought it would be. Ignored the hunger pains and concentrated at not eating while feeding my 1 and 2 year old. I thought I would be wanting all types of foods that are my nemesis..but I am now feeling like first and foremost, my health and feeling better (which I absolutely feel rejuvenated each and every day) and my weight loss is far more addicting than any food out there. I am an emotional eater and I had no idea that I was until now. I guess I could say I am trying to take all the positive out of this.

On the negative side - I miss my drinking and have a hard time waiting to drink after eating. Right now I am just trying it out with the soups. Just to make sure I am trained for when I start my soft solids. I have eaten a little piece of sandwhich meat and a bit of chicken in my soup....little tiny pieces. I had no problem and did not eat much but it is hard when I am just use to eating with the kids.

All in all, I want to keep this attitude as in the past that is one of my main problems...I let myself get down! Thanks for asking....When is the big day for you again Red? I hope you are super pumped...I had a wonderful experience, they were so nice there. My nurse made me feel so comfortable and it was so much easier than I expected...and I use to obsessive about the negative! Keep us posted!!!! :D

That was all good information...thank you for that. I am driving down to TJ next Monday, the 20th, for my pre-op tests and surgery will be the 21st. Gosh, I am getting obsessed with searching out information to prepare myself and it is to the point I am dreaming at night that I am eating and forgetting to chew and then I panic! OMG, I think I'm wigging out on all this stuff! I just want the day to arrive and have it be over so I can stop thinking about it! I've not been able to sleep very well the last 2 nights. Geez! Now I'm getting worried my passport won't arrive in time. I'm a mess. :((

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, you are doing right thins. It is not advisable to drink in between the meal. just because when you drink in between the meal then the food what you eat ill wash out from the lap band outlet and it reaches directly to the small intestine and you fill more hunger and you need to eat more food. this will spoil your goal to attend the weight loss. So wait for at least 30 minutes after meal. You just drink before the meal.

To more about the related things of lap band procedure and other lap band related thing you can go online.

The eating and drinking thing was definitely the hardest for me but i'm adjusting much better than I thought I would. Like others said, it can push the food through quicker, but also if you eat then drink then that drink is sitting in your pouch on top of that food and they say you can stretch your pouch that way.

If you are really having a hard time - like at something spicy, really thirsty, etc...then one trick i've heard is to suck on an ice cube. I'll do that or just put a tiny tiny bit of water in my mouth and let it sit there for a bit. Both those seem to help me. I drink right up until I eat and then wait 45-60 minutes after. If you are drinking lots of water throughout the day that also helps so you aren't as thirsty when you eat.

Good luck!