Watermelon!

LisaLaw

Good for You

One cup of diced watermelon contains just 48 calories and provides about a quarter of your vitamin C Daily Value and 10 percent of your vitamin A needs. It also has more lycopene—a phytochemical linked to lower rates of cancer and heart disease—than raw tomatoes. Plus, it's 92 percent water, making it an excellent postrun thirst-quencher.

Get the Best

Whole melons should feel heavy for their size and have a smooth (but not overly shiny or dull) rind. "One side, called the underbelly—the side resting on the ground as it grows on the vine—should be a slightly lighter color," says chef Patricia Wells. If it's not lighter, the fruit may have been picked too early. Cut watermelon should have a deep pink color, without any white streaks.

Kitchen Simple

Wells loves watermelon sorbet in the summer. Cube eight to 10 cups of watermelon (discard seeds). Puree in a blender until you have four cups. Mix with two tablespoons fresh lemon or lime juice and one cup simple syrup (boil equal parts water and sugar until sugar dissolves; then let syrup cool). Chill in an ice-cream maker, or leave in your freezer until slushy.

Source: <http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-300--13219-0,00.html?cm_mmc=nutrition-_-2009_07_16-_-nutrition-_-EAT%20THIS%20NOW%3a%20Watermelon%20>

Thanks for the post Lisa,

I was wondering about watermelon. We get one almost every weekend, this is great news.

Also love the way you posted were you got your "facts" from....lol

Carrie

actually, I did not even think to post where I found it until I got an email from an Admin telling me we have to now.

;)

actually, I did not even think to post where I found it until I got an email from an Admin telling me we have to now.

;)

LOVE ME SOME WATERMELON!! Think I will have that for lunch! XOXO