Vitamin D Deficiency

This vitamin D deficiency is very curious to say the least. It is almost impossible to have a deficiency in it. All you need is 10 minutes of sunlight each day to get what you need. Or, dairy products. Sure makes me wonder how that can happen since having a deficiency is so rare and unheard of before now. I just wonder if it another byproduct if the crap they put in the food we eat.

LisaLaw--

I think a trip to Dallas would be just what the Dr. ordered. I am sure your Vitamin D would go right up!! HAHA

Now, I am freaked. Guess I should get my blood checked again.

• 2 weeks later...

This was interesting to me, so I asked around and here’s what some doctor’s think. It’s not what we are putting on the inside of our bodies (eating) its was we are putting on the outside of our bodies. (Sunscreen) Its not only blocking the harmful rays, its also stopping us from getting the free and easy vitamin D –

So Lisa, are you good at putting on sunscreen?

I thought the lack of sunshine was the reason they government started putting it in the milk supply many years ago. I do not know exactly when, I will have to look that up. It is still there, my milk is fortified with vitamin A and D. Maybe it is still not enough or maybe we are not drinking enough milk!

Maybe it is still not enough or maybe we are not drinking enough milk!

Don't think that is my problem. There are 2 things I cannot live without, air and milk. I had my normal 16 ounces at 6:30 this morning and snuck in another 16 ounces when I got home from work because I wanted to and because I cheated and bought the chocolate gallon this time. Bad, bad Andrea - but oh so yummy! Next 20+ gallons will be white - I promise.

My doctor did a CBC because I scared myself really bad one morning by trying to pass out twice so within 30 minutes of calling they had me in the office. I had felt this way many times before but they were very minor and easy to recover from. This time however was worse in that everything was gray and my head was pounding, even after laying on my bed for 5-10 minutes and I was too nausous to eat.

He thinks I am anemic because I may have lost too much blood during my TT and Arm Lift. I am not sure if the D and B12 deficiencies can be attributed to this or not.

If you are taking a multi-vitamin each day that has 400u of Vitamin D in it you should be okay. However, it wouldn't hurt to have blood work done once a year since we are not able to eat as much food.

Just some food (or milk) for thought. I saw that you stated that you are really a milk drinker -- there is such a thing as milk anemia. If you drink too much milk it can lower your iron level which of course means anemia. In the clinic I work in, our dietitians and nurses only recommend three 8 ounce glasses of milk a day. Just an FYI.

Have a good day,

dawn

This was interesting to me, so I asked around and here’s what some doctor’s think. It’s not what we are putting on the inside of our bodies (eating) its was we are putting on the outside of our bodies. (Sunscreen) Its not only blocking the harmful rays, its also stopping us from getting the free and easy vitamin D –

So Lisa, are you good at putting on sunscreen?

NOPE...LOL...shamefully I am a Hawaiian Tropic girl all the way (or Coconut Willies from Hawaii - pure coconut oil). especially since I have been laid off, I lay out at least an hour a day 2-3x per week (if I have time)

THAT is why I was so puzzled. I have been doing this since the weather got hot back in May..:\

(Addendum: Please...noone lecture me about sun. I take very good care of my skin - ask Lisal...I look 13 years younger than I am)

NOPE...LOL...shamefully I am a Hawaiian Tropic girl all the way (or Coconut Willies from Hawaii - pure coconut oil). especially since I have been laid off, I lay out at least an hour a day 2-3x per week (if I have time)

THAT is why I was so puzzled. I have been doing this since the weather got hot back in May..:\

(Addendum: Please...noone lecture me about sun. I take very good care of my skin - ask Lisal...I look 13 years younger than I am)

OH, I wanted to add one thing. I can tell a major difference in my mood, my energy level and my appetite since taking the 8,000 IU daily I have to take

Vit D deficiency can cause all sorts of wacky things...

Don't think that is my problem. There are 2 things I cannot live without, air and milk. I had my normal 16 ounces at 6:30 this morning and snuck in another 16 ounces when I got home from work because I wanted to and because I cheated and bought the chocolate gallon this time. Bad, bad Andrea - but oh so yummy! Next 20+ gallons will be white - I promise.

20 GALLONS? I DON'T THINK I'VE DRANK THAT MUCH MILK IN THE LAST 40 YEARS, ICK (well unless it's mixed with something ;) or if your talkin cheese, that's another story)

OOOOHH! 13 years younger, eh? OK, I want what you are using!! lol

My Vit D level was 9. I was really low. I take 5000units once a day. You need Vitamin D to help with Vit C and Calcium absorbtion. Low levels can cause fatigue. I also have Rheumatoid Arthritis, Epstein Barr, Fibromyalgia and Type 2 Diabetes. I go to a NP who gives me once a month IV of several vitamins to keep my energy level up. I do weekly IV when I bottom out from the Epstein Barr.

If you use sunscreen when you sunbathe you won't absorb the Vit D. Sunbathing and tanning beds (which you shouldn't do anyway since skin cancer in women under 30 has risen by 75%) really don't help as much as you would think. Lapband and bypass patients should add Vit D caps to your daily regiment just because women typically have lower levels of Vit D. Dark Green veggies that contain high Vit D like spinach and brocoli are sometimes hard for us to eat.

Robin

Just some food (or milk) for thought. I saw that you stated that you are really a milk drinker -- there is such a thing as milk anemia. If you drink too much milk it can lower your iron level which of course means anemia. In the clinic I work in, our dietitians and nurses only recommend three 8 ounce glasses of milk a day. Just an FYI.

Have a good day,

dawn

Interesting - I had no idea. For the most part I only have 16 ounces every morning - some people need coffee, I need milk. Now yesterday and um today I had another glass in the evening only because I splurged and bought the chocolate milk - bad, bad Andrea. This is good information to keep in mind as having 2/3 of the recommended requirement in the morning also means I should watch my dairy intake for the rest of the day with things like yogurt and cheese. Thanks for the information!

Does anybody else ever wonder how our ancestors survived? I mean they didn't even have the opportunity to eat 3 times a day or get a balanced diet - heck sometimes they didn't even eat at all some days. I know some one will point out that we have a much longer life expectancy than they did but still, at times I think that it is a wonder that they lived even a few years.

My Vit D level was 9. I was really low. I take 5000units once a day. You need Vitamin D to help with Vit C and Calcium absorbtion. Low levels can cause fatigue. I also have Rheumatoid Arthritis, Epstein Barr, Fibromyalgia and Type 2 Diabetes. I go to a NP who gives me once a month IV of several vitamins to keep my energy level up. I do weekly IV when I bottom out from the Epstein Barr.

If you use sunscreen when you sunbathe you won't absorb the Vit D. Sunbathing and tanning beds (which you shouldn't do anyway since skin cancer in women under 30 has risen by 75%) really don't help as much as you would think. Lapband and bypass patients should add Vit D caps to your daily regiment just because women typically have lower levels of Vit D. Dark Green veggies that contain high Vit D like spinach and brocoli are sometimes hard for us to eat.

Robin

Robin...GREAT info!

A very good friend from high school's wife is an NP. I have been talking alot to her about this over the past week and she said that Vit. D deficiency is on the rise and that the average normal person may not know they have it...especially if they think they are doing everything right. She has a liquid dropper that I can use under the tongue (1 drop = 1,000 I.U.).

I will be getting it next week after I fax my paperwork to her.

My symptoms have been: fatigue, obesity (duh), major plateau and I have a borderline low white cell count. I see my Dr. again this next week to discuss this further and am hoping that between the HCG and the vitamin D at 8,000 IU I am doing, it will make a difference. Dr. is following up with another blood panel in 4 weeks

Does anybody else ever wonder how our ancestors survived?

They worked hard, ate tons of fat and died at an early age. I think lifestyles have changed dramaticaly over the last few generations. At 55, I look and act totally different from my mother at about the same age.

[There was an article in the local paper today about Vit D. For those 49 and under: 200 per day: Pregnant or nursing: 200u

50-70 400 per day: 71 and older-600 per day with the upper limet of 2000 IU per day.

They are saying some researchers are recommending 600 IU a day with 10,000 IU as an upper limit.

The skin makes vitamin D when exposed to the sun, but not everyone spends the recommended 5 minutes a day outside and many more wear sunscreen.

I fall into the no sun/sunscreen catagory. My sister had melanoma and we are similar in skin fairness. So for me, I take 5,000 IU per day per my NP.

[There was an article in the local paper today about Vit D. For those 49 and under: 200 per day: Pregnant or nursing: 200u

50-70 400 per day: 71 and older-600 per day with the upper limet of 2000 IU per day.

They are saying some researchers are recommending 600 IU a day with 10,000 IU as an upper limit.

The skin makes vitamin D when exposed to the sun, but not everyone spends the recommended 5 minutes a day outside and many more wear sunscreen.

I fall into the no sun/sunscreen catagory. My sister had melanoma and we are similar in skin fairness. So for me, I take 5,000 IU per day per my NP.

Thanks Roblynn for reminding me!

yes, it was in the Seattle Times...GREAT article and may clear up lots of questions. By no means am I advocating anyone running to begin supplements until you speak with a doctor OR have bloodwork done to see if you need it to begin with.

Here it is:

<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2009584113_vitamind02.html>

here is a great article in CNN today about the deficiency in kids:

<http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/08/03/vitamin.d.children/index.html>