Danger Foods!

Karen0604

So, since my first fill on July 6th.. I feel like I'm eating foods for the first time! Most foods go down fine with careful chewing but I'm shocked that some foods just won't cooperate! I even tried them again! And, yup! They got stuck and wouldn't pass without a fight!

So far here is what I cannot eat so far.

1. All Lean Cuisines (had 4 different kinds so far.. all 4 made me slime.)

2. LETTUCE!!!! NOOOOOO.. I tried iceberg, romaine, spinach... I love salad.

3. Noodles. Can only eat a bite or 2.

4. French fries :(

5. Very soft tortilla.. no chance.

Karen

Those are the same foods as me. EXCEPT I was just at an all inclusive and for about 3 days I could eat noodles! I was in heaven and I could even have a salad one of those days lol - but then it was back to the same old. Actually Im going for an unfil in Aug cuz I cant handle this. I also cant eat...

meat - except for some odd reason the A & W chicken strips, but Ive tried steak, chicken even in the crock pot, pork chops, hamburger, nothing works.

any breads at all

I dont have a problem eating any of those and I am on my third fill. I chew very well. Over time you can eat whatever you want mostly, I find that if you dont chew then you might as well forget it. The only thing I will not eat Very soft tortilla's. Forget those. But every person is different. Oh ya and bread is out of the question.

I forgot about MEAT! I am scared to try.. had a little ground beef and did fine. Too scared to try steak... I miss it.

It's funny how I eat new foods now: chew chew chew.... swallow.... wait wait wait (repeat until I know it isn't going to cause trouble.)

:D

Brocolli and cauliflower I doing fine with! Anyone having trouble with veggies?

Karen

I forgot about MEAT! I am scared to try.. had a little ground beef and did fine. Too scared to try steak... I miss it.

It's funny how I eat new foods now: chew chew chew.... swallow.... wait wait wait (repeat until I know it isn't going to cause trouble.)

:D

Brocolli and cauliflower I doing fine with! Anyone having trouble with veggies?

Karen

HI, YES I PRETTY MUCH HAVE TROUBLE WITH ALL, INCLUDIG VEGGIES! SOMETIMES I CANT EAT FOR A DAY OR TWO AND THEN I AM FINE, BUT REALLY FORGET BREAD, TORTILLAS AND FRIES THOSE ARE MY ENEMIES LOL. MY WEIGHT LOSE IS SOOOO SLOW FOR AS MUCH AS I SUFFER BUT IT DOES COME OFF SLOOOOOWLY, KINDA GLAD IM NOT THE ONLY ONE, IT HELPS TO KNOW THERE ARE OTHERS!!!! THANKS, JANINE

So, since my first fill on July 6th.. I feel like I'm eating foods for the first time! Most foods go down fine with careful chewing but I'm shocked that some foods just won't cooperate! I even tried them again! And, yup! They got stuck and wouldn't pass without a fight!

Karen

Pretty amazing how different everyone is - I can do all those. No french fries unless at night and have to chew a ton and go slow. No tortillas unless they are covered in sauce like an enchillada. But otherwise all those are good. I do salads for lunch at least a couple times a week, so hopefully those don't become an issue. By dinner I can eat just about whatever as long as I am careful but definitely no bread or rice - lost that ability after the 2nd fill.

You are so right! We are all so different... I envy you that you can eat salad few days a week. Within my 3rd bite of heavily chewed lettuce, I start to slime.

I am kinda glad I cannot do noodles and some bread :) It's helping with my weight loss so much.

Ok so here's my deal. And I don't know if it's good or bad, I seriously can eat anything. I haven't eaten steak. I’m not the best chew chew chewer, even when I think I chewed something good, I really didn’t. So I think I would have to chew it too much & it may be too much of a hassle so I won’t even try steak - LOL.

I ate chicken wings, hamburger, PORK, I BBQ pork chops often cause I know I have No problem eating them, Baked beans, Pasta, U name it unfortunately I can eat it- yesterday I had half of a ham & cheese on potato bread sandwich! -_-

I do watch the doughy breads but I ate half a bagel with cream cheese this morning - I made sure I chewed it real good cause the last time I ate a bagel it got stuck! Pizza No problem French fries No problem any potato NO problem, I guess that's why I was at a stand still with my weight loss...... DOH! :-? LOL

But I'm back losing - I had gained 3.5 pound after my 21 LD but since my first fill I lost those 3.5 plus another 2 pounds so I've cracked the 180 mark & found that very exciting. I’m averaging a weight loss of 6 pounds a month, Not the best BUT it’s better then nothing

I go for my second fill Aug 3rd...................

Good thread =D>

Was at a work lunch today.

I ate sliced turkey and sliced cheese (from a sandwich without the bread.) No go. ha ha

Had to walk that one off!

Sliced roast beef I did fine.

I also learned I cannot do peanuts. I chewed like crazy.. Pistachio nuts go down fine. WEIRD!!!

Shiney42,

Just wait til you get your second fill... I had an agressive 1st fill of 2.7cc in a 4cc band.

I don't even mind that french fries and noodles (and more) get stuck! It's a reminder that I have a tool and need to abide by its rules!! I hope this thread didn't come off as a complaint... I am enjoying the restriction and enjoying the weight loss so much.. (I'm close to losing 20 lbs.) I just find this discovery period fascinating.. Every "new" food I eat is a maybe. ha ha

I love the band.. so glad I did it.

I agree...at least for me it was that 3rd fill that really made a difference! Bread was always out, but after that 3rd fill a lot of other stuff was out the window! I really hope that salad stays OK. I always hated salad until recently so i'd like to take advantage of it. I'm really hit and miss at lunch but by dinner i'm OK as long as I take it slow.

That is one thing with the band it's hard to compare yourself to anyone else as everyone is so different. You just have to test the waters and see what works for you. I am over 3 cc's now and feel like I can eat more than folks that have less than me, which shows that everyone is very different. Ahh the joys of the band...but i'll take it any day!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Shelby,

You look a whole new person by the way.

And I so sgree about the hit or miss at lunch!!! Oh my goodness.. I can only have a little fruit or luiquids for breakfast and some solids at lunch. It depends.. I don't know what it depends on.. lol but you are so right.

Karen

Karen

TORTILLAS ARE THE DEVIL!!!! EVIL!!! (I also have problems with noodles of any kind and most breads.)

Something I do with lettuce is to cut it up pretty small so that I don't have to worry about the chewing so much as I find that it is one of those foods that is kind of hard to determine when it is chewed up enough. Although, I am a person who likes a little lettuce with her salad dressing so maybe that is why it works for me. Long live Hidden Valley Ranch!

Shelby,

You look a whole new person by the way.

And I so sgree about the hit or miss at lunch!!! Oh my goodness.. I can only have a little fruit or luiquids for breakfast and some solids at lunch. It depends.. I don't know what it depends on.. lol but you are so right.

Karen

Thanks so much! Yeah, it is funny even with my own band how different it is. There are some days at lunch that I can eat lunchmeat and be just fine or cheese, and then i'll eat the exact same thing the next day and BAM!! Stuck city! Dr. O told me the band is a bitch and he wasn't kidding! B)

Hi! Sorry to sound so ignorant but I am new here. My surgery is scheduled for 8/21. I am reading posts to get more of an idea what to expect. Can you tell me what happens when food gets "stuck" as I've seen several posts about? Do you just feel like it will not go down? What do you do when that happens?

Hi! Sorry to sound so ignorant but I am new here. My surgery is scheduled for 8/21. I am reading posts to get more of an idea what to expect. Can you tell me what happens when food gets "stuck" as I've seen several posts about? Do you just feel like it will not go down? What do you do when that happens?

Hi there, I recently asked that same question and there was alot of good feedback. Here is the thread:

http://www.lapbandforum.com/index.php?show...81&hl=stuck

Good Luck!

...and I forgot to mention that I was told PBing stands for "Productive Burping"!

Thank you very much that was really good information. I'm excited for the potential results from getting the band and I know it is going to take work and effort but these side effects sound scary!

Melissa

Well, to me, being obese the rest of my life sounds even scarier! You know, so many people have the band now, and if they can do it Melissa, so can we. I think like anything, it is scary until you live it yourself and then you know what to expect. My first 5 days on the band have been no walk in the park. If I can get through the first 21 days of liquids, I can deal with the rest of it easily. When in doubt, go to the gallery on this forum and look at all the photos of people who have successfully lost the weight. It is inspirational! And they have all had to deal with all the things that seem scary to us. Are you getting banded soon?

Red

Hi Red:

You are absolutely right. It is like the classic, "nothing tastes as good as being thin feels" although you can replace the word "thin" with "healthy" and that works too! Yes, I am getting banded on 8/21 at the OCC. I just came to the decision to go to the OCC last week so I am still in the early stages of preparing. :) I am a planner though so I am trying to do all my research so I know what to expect, as much as you can without knowing exactly how your own body will react. I feel very comfortable with my decision to get the surgery at the OCC as opposed to where I was going to go here. Everyone seems to have had such a psoitive experience with the procedure itself that I really don't have any reservations about that part at all.

Thanks for your support and the information you have shared, I really appreciate it.

Hi Red:

You are absolutely right. It is like the classic, "nothing tastes as good as being thin feels" although you can replace the word "thin" with "healthy" and that works too! Yes, I am getting banded on 8/21 at the OCC. I just came to the decision to go to the OCC last week so I am still in the early stages of preparing. :) I am a planner though so I am trying to do all my research so I know what to expect, as much as you can without knowing exactly how your own body will react. I feel very comfortable with my decision to get the surgery at the OCC as opposed to where I was going to go here. Everyone seems to have had such a psoitive experience with the procedure itself that I really don't have any reservations about that part at all.

Thanks for your support and the information you have shared, I really appreciate it.

Rest your mind. Your experience at the OCC will be just as great as everyone elses. They will make you so comfortable. Being as you live here in So Cal, I would even suggest that you ask to have your preops and surgery the same day and then come home the day after surgery like I did. You will feel well enough to drive. I had about a 2 hour drive home and it was a breeze. I really didn't think it was neccessary to stay a third night. Some people flying in choose to stay because they want to shop. I didn't. Where is So Cal do you live?

I live in Tujunga which is just north of Glendale. We go through Yucaipa when we go to see my in-laws who live in Palm Springs. Years ago I used to help run a leadership camp for teens up in Pilgrim Pines in the mountains there. My husband and boys are going to stay in San Dieog while I go and have the surgery. I think I will go down on a Thursday night, have the pre-op and surgery on Friday and meet back with them in San Diego on Saturday rather than staying until Sunday. I'm glad to hear you were okay to drive right after, that is something I was wondering about.

I live in Tujunga which is just north of Glendale. We go through Yucaipa when we go to see my in-laws who live in Palm Springs. Years ago I used to help run a leadership camp for teens up in Pilgrim Pines in the mountains there. My husband and boys are going to stay in San Dieog while I go and have the surgery. I think I will go down on a Thursday night, have the pre-op and surgery on Friday and meet back with them in San Diego on Saturday rather than staying until Sunday. I'm glad to hear you were okay to drive right after, that is something I was wondering about.

Small world! Pilgrim Pines is up in Oak Glen, isn't it? I live about 5 minutes from there, up in the hills.

The morning after surgery, your nurse will come in and run a syringe of pain medication through your IV. I'm sure that is why I felt really good. But you will have discomfort after you wake up from surgery and after you get home, like a heavy pressure on your abdomen. Today my abdomen feels quite a bit better and it has only been 5 days. I can even sleep on either side, which I'm relieved about because some people say they can't. I toss and turn all night, so I need to be able to switch sides. I am struggling with the liquid diet because I am hungry, hungry, hungry. But I know eventually I will be able to include the yogurt, protein shakes and creamy soups and I will be much better. I'm grateful I'm not working right now, because I can rest a lot more than some folks who go back to work 3 days post op. That must be so difficult.