Have to brag a little bit. I'm training for a 5k in September and last night I was able to run for 4 miles straight! Woo Hoo! I want to get the time down a bit, but it is a little decieving. My first .25 was walking to warm up, so I did do 4 miles quicker than the display shows. My goal is to do it in 45 minutes which I think I can totally do by Sept.

For any of you that want to try to run i've come up with two tricks. One, making the ultimate ipod mix to keep me motivated and two, putting a towel over the display so I don't keep watching it which makes time go by soooo much slower. I prefer running outside but it's been too blasted hot!

Anyhoo, I had to take a picture of my milestone!

Hit4Miles.jpg

It has stalled my weight loss a bit, but I think it is just me gaining muscle so i'm OK with that. I also need to up my calories I don't think i'm getting enough.

great job Shelby!! I remember this time last year, you were just getting ready to get banded and you probably never thought you would be here right now...=D getting ready for a 5k!!

keep up the great work!!

great job Shelby!! I remember this time last year, you were just getting ready to get banded and you probably never thought you would be here right now...=D getting ready for a 5k!!

keep up the great work!!

SOOO true! It was right about this time last year that I made the decision to do this. I would get so winded I couldn't even play with my niece in the backyard and it broke my heart her wanting me to play and I couldn't. Now i'm running and also heading to Zumba tonight. Crazy to think before I would have said if I was gonna run someone better be chasing me with a knife! Now i'm ready to see how far I can take it. Never in a million years - if I can do it ANYONE can!

Thanks you all for the support!

Way to go! It isn't too hot for a run tonight, as long as you don't mind getting drizzled on. If I am ever out driving and see you running I'll honk and wave.

Too funny! If you are ever over near Raytown and see a short blonde chick with a really red face that is me! :)

Great job Shelby!!!!! I would love to start running. How long have you been running?

I started running about a month and a half ago. I was able to move pretty quick I think because I had been doing pretty intense cardio for a while before that. Had been doing Zumba quite a bit which helped me prepare. Also, I did the first couple of weeks of the "couch to 5 k" program. For anyone interested in running it is a fantastic program that really works you up to it and gets you running a 5k in about 2 months. I didn't follow it to a T b/c I was feeling good from the Zumba, but did it for a while. Here is the program if you want to check it out:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

The run i'm doing is on my bday which is kinda cool. I'll make sure my friends take pics of me crossing the finish line! =D>

What a great website... I have been kicking my self in the ass because I have been doing my 3-6 mile walks with no probelm but jogging has kicked my butt. I felt like a failure but I can follow this plan...

Thanks....

Shy

I started running about a month and a half ago. I was able to move pretty quick I think because I had been doing pretty intense cardio for a while before that. Had been doing Zumba quite a bit which helped me prepare. Also, I did the first couple of weeks of the "couch to 5 k" program. For anyone interested in running it is a fantastic program that really works you up to it and gets you running a 5k in about 2 months. I didn't follow it to a T b/c I was feeling good from the Zumba, but did it for a while. Here is the program if you want to check it out:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

The run i'm doing is on my bday which is kinda cool. I'll make sure my friends take pics of me crossing the finish line! =D>

That's fantastic Shelby! I so want to run but I really, really don't know how to get myself started. I read about doing a walk/run type of thing for about 10 minutes at a time, then progress from there. It's just something I want to do too. I now walk anywhere between 5 to 7 miles a day now (Yeah, can you imagine that!!)...so it's something I would like to do. Eventually, I would like to do a marathon...but I've a ways to go before even think of doing that! LOL

I've stalled on my weight too because I am doing a lot of strength training and cardios these days...and yes, I've gained some muscles mass, so it will weigh...BUT, the inches are dropping! So, it's still a good thing! Keep it up doll, it will balance out soon enough!

Good luck sweetie! You are doing great! ((HUGS!))...Jazzy!!

I tell ya for anyone that is wanting to start running the couch to 5k is great! It just seems much more doable and breaks it down so you feel like you can accomplish it. Running to me seemed so far out of reach until a friend of mine did this program and she is around 220 I believe right now. Really motivated me to try it out and it works!

If anyone decides to do it definitely let me know how it goes! For those of you that are walking a lot i'm sure you can do it!

Too funny! If you are ever over near Raytown and see a short blonde chick with a really red face that is me! :)

I live in Grandview, go to church in Raytown and will be taking my nephews swimming at the Raytown Y this coming week, so it isn't completely impossible.

If you have any sporting goods stores in the area such as Dick's or Academy, check with them as they will sometimes know of walk/run clubs or groups training for 5 - 10K's and marathons. I had a roommate in Fort Worth do this program thru Luke's which is a store that caters to runners, joggers and walkers.

I live in Grandview, go to church in Raytown and will be taking my nephews swimming at the Raytown Y this coming week, so it isn't completely impossible.

I live like a mile from the Raytown Y! Usually I will walk to the park at 87th and James A Reed by Ohara HS and then run at that park. Small world!

Shy, when i'm running outside I have my ipod and I usually check the time before I take off and then when I am done to see how long I was out. You know I used to get worried about what people thought and then I started thinking about it and when i'm at the park running there are some folks there that are pretty big and are working hard and honestly I think to myself, good for them! So proud of them for working hard at it. I never would think anything negative and hope that others wouldn't too and if they do then it is their issue they need to deal with! I've gotten people that have yelled stupid crap out of their car and what not as I run, but I just ignore them. If they are that immature and stupid then I could care less what they think anyway - i'm gonna get hot and they will still be the moron yelling stuff out of a car! :)

Shelby, I'm curious (since I know you're a big sports fan) if you were a jock or good at sports when you were young but then got out of shape when you gained weight and are just now getting back in to it.........or is this the first time you're getting in to exercise? I have never done a single sport my entire life and I'm petrified to put myself out there. I'm probably in worse shape than most 60-year olds. I need to start doing something but don't know where to start.

Sabrina:)

Shelby, I'm curious (since I know you're a big sports fan) if you were a jock or good at sports when you were young but then got out of shape when you gained weight and are just now getting back in to it.........or is this the first time you're getting in to exercise? I have never done a single sport my entire life and I'm petrified to put myself out there. I'm probably in worse shape than most 60-year olds. I need to start doing something but don't know where to start.

Sabrina:)

Yes, I was a dancer growing up and I played softball and basketball until 8th grade. I was never huge, but I was always bigger than the other dancers and it really was hard. I had terrible eating habits but the exercise kept me at an OK weight. I now weigh about what I did when I played in jr high and high school. I quit the dance company my soph year of college and after that my weight went through a roller coaster of ups and downs. I would work out in spurts and lose weight but always plateaued and it caused me to give up and gain it all back. And of course each time you gain it back it is always more than you had lost before. Such a nasty cycle!

Sorry that was major rambling but in a nutshell I used to exercise a lot but was never thin. Haven't been in an intense workout program on a regular basis since about 13 years ago so it's tough to get back in, but i'm glad i've been doing this. It is amazing, today I was upset about something and normally I would have eaten an ignorant amount of food. Instead, today I took it out on the treadmill. Felt great!

Don't push yourself and wear yourself out! Take it slow you have all the time in the world. Get on the treadmill or get outside and start slow and work your way up. You can do it!!!!!!