is an unfill always typical of pouch enlargement?

path2success

Hello everyone,

I was banded oct 29th 2008 and have had 3 adjustments over the past 9 months. I recently went to follow up with my doc about a month and a half ago and he saw it was a little tight but I was under major stress at the time and he mentioned that this may be the factor. 3 weeks later I was having acid reflux, heartburn, and was having difficulty keeping food down. I was also having trouble keeping water down at times.my doc was out of town but was adivsed to see his partner today A.S.A.P. I did just that. The doc took one look n said I didn't look well at all and looked very dehyrated. (Soooo true) the first swallow of barium did no pass through the band so he ended up draining it all and advised me to drink plenty of gatorade. I asked what could be the cause of this since I was fine when I saw my doc last adjustment. He said water retention could be a problem. I was curious so I called n had a chat with someone at my docs office n was told this was caused by pouch enlargement?? What??????? I was barely eating and watching everything that entered my mouth. How could this be possible? Could it just be that it was a little tight at my last adjustment and my water retention levels changed since then?? Do the sypmtoms of acid reflux, heartburn, regurgitation, not being able to keep water down always mean pouch enlargement or could this be caused by the bad being too tight??? Anyone please help!

If your doctor had you under flouroscopy and didn't mention pouch enlargement than that's not what it is. Pouch enlargement or a stretched pouch are pretty easy to see under flouro. Most likely it was water retention, stress, or irritation which caused a little swelling and caused you to experience more restriction which in turn caused you to become dehydrated.

Path,

Heartburn/acid reflux, regurgitation, and not being able to tolerate liquids are all symptoms of a too tight band. The liquid thing is an emergency, human beings do not do well without fluids. I do not understand how water retention or body water levels could cause any of these symptoms. Someone on this forum said that a fill doctor told them pouch enlargement can also be caused by a too tight band.

You did not say whether or not your symptoms improved after your fill was removed. I hope that they have and that you are feeling better. Many of us have "been there" when it comes to a too tight fill.

Dawn

I am not a medical advisor, but it sounds to me your band is too tight. You just may need a little unfill to progress your weight loss. If your band is too tight and you eat, you may be stacking your food and when you add any drink, you may be forcing the food down. If you are under a lot of stress, you may upchuck your foods/liquids. PBing and sliming is not fun and the nore you do that, the more you may have acid reflex. Now, I had body water retention last week for about 3 days and I stayed with liquids during that time. Very low sodium and drank a lot of water, especially the Speical K protien water, until I felt much better. I am sure it's a combo between salty foods and too much pork meals during this weather we've been having. I just adjusted a few things and moved on. I just listen to my body and act accordingly.

Good luck!

Jazzy!!