No No foods

Is there any liquids that should remain a NO even though they are liquids? (Ex: carbonated drinks)

ex: I had really bad heart burn and because I can not take a pill for it, I went with a small spoon of ice cream just to stop the burning... low and behold I got the "IS THAT ALLOWED?" speech.

I figured as long as it melted before it hit my stomach I was ok with a simple spoonful.

this all being said: are there any NO NO foods us Post-op dieters should be aware of?

Is there any liquids that should remain a NO even though they are liquids? (Ex: carbonated drinks)

ex: I had really bad heart burn and because I can not take a pill for it, I went with a small spoon of ice cream just to stop the burning... low and behold I got the "IS THAT ALLOWED?" speech.

I figured as long as it melted before it hit my stomach I was ok with a simple spoonful.

this all being said: are there any NO NO foods us Post-op dieters should be aware of?

I am one week banded and I can take my pills. I have to because I have hypothyroidism. Dr. Sol said that as long as they aren't large pills, it is ok to take them. Ice cream is not a liquid per say. I think liquid yogurt would probably accomplish the same thing, but when in doubt, you can always call or email the OCC and they will give you the best advice.

Red

If you're a pt of Dr. Ortiz it’s a no no. (Ice cream is not considered a liquid). And you can't eat blended foods when you're on the liquid diet as well so even a milk shake is out. Think of liquids, as broth, gateraid, and check your list - you should have paperwork they sent you home with. I had my surgery almost 3 years ago and I'm sure some things have changed (But I'm almost 100% sure ice cream would not be on it).

Best and congrats on your surgery!

Lisa

I believe you should shop for a liquid antiacid to use in place of ice cream for your heart burn. Medicines created specifically for the reduction of heartburn will work better anyway.

Ice cream is not a liquid. It is considered a "slider food" because it is so easy to eat and is not well restricted by the lapband (if at all). Although I personally do not have NO NO foods, it is best to avoid or at least severely restrict these types of foods from our diets because this is what got us to the point where we needed a lapband in the first place.

Any food that I have a hard time managing on my own (ice cream, chips, chocolate, etc.) are the items I put on my "list" of foods to avoid. Since food is so individual, you will have to develop your own list of foods that you need to stay away from in order to be successful with your lapband.

If, as you say, you can stop with a "simple spoonful" of ice cream to ease your heartburn then you have way better self control than I do.

Best of luck to you.

Dawn

I tried the yogurt with no relief, and the liquid heart burn stuff (just didnt think about that!!!) but thanks for the idea!

And I have to say I was VERY surprised at myself for being satisfied with such a small amount of ice cream. I wanted it to serve a purpose... it did and I stopped... BOY o BOY that was a first!

I still get the occasional stomach spasm that hurts like hell and can cause heartburn..

MYLANTA is my best friend. One swig of this when the symptoms start and within 10 minutes I feel 110% better

I was having heart burn problems. On one of my doctor's visits, I mentioned it to my doctor. She suggested Prilosec and gave me a Rx for the generic. It is so inexpensive with the generic. It has worked miracles. It takes a couple of weeks to really kick in, even though you will get relief sooner than that.

(The capsules are very tiny)

Good Luck