How drastic will this be?

Hi guys,

I'm hoping to get a little direction/advice from those of you who have probably been where I am right now. Just when I think I have finally made the decision to band (I have already made one appointment with OCC and postponed it), I read some posts about what a complete life change it is and hesitate.

First a little about me: I am a 40 year old male, 6-2 and currently at about 340 lbs. I was a scrawny kid up until about high school and then started really putting on the weight after my parents bought a pizza restaurant and I became a cook. I used to be active, playing baseball and hockey and golf. My weight now is to the point I am lethargic and don't want to take the time to even play with my kids. I know I need to do something but everything seems like too much of an effort..especially exercise. I have tried Nutrisystem, weight watchers, the pills that make you shit your pants when you eat too much fat and back in the day phen phen (no heart valve damage...yay!) and would lose weight with them all only to watch it all come back when I inevitably quit.

I think I have gotten past the apprehension of travelling from Canada to Mexico for surgery. My worry is how drastic the change in behavior would be after the band and if I have the ability to do it. I enjoy a good steak and love BBQ's burgers. I drink a ton of diet soda and always have a drink (not alcohol) with my meal. I love a cold glass of milk, a nice slice of toast and when I snack I always vassilate between salty things like chips and sweet things like jujubes. I know the quantities of the things I shove down my gullet will change after the band but how much of these things will I have to give up completely? I don't imagine the cravings for sweet and salty just magically go away after the band do they?

My wife says I am nuts to go through with this...that there are no easy fixes in life...that if I want to get this done I should try and go for a walk everyday, cut back on the pop (sorry us Canadians call soda pop eh?) and then see what I feel like in six months. My problem is I know that I am now at a point where I feel I have so far to go that doing things like exercise seems like a waste of time. I think that getting banded would allow me to drop some of the weight which would in turn make exercising a little easier. I also know that I've tried plenty of other things, had success and then slowly watched it all go away every time I stepped on the scale. I don't think I'm an emotional eater but I do often eat out of boredom.

Anyway, I'm rambling. I hope you see some of what I'm asking here, can relate and offer some answers and advice. I sure would appreciate it.

And by the way, what the hell is PBing anyway?!

Thanks!

Hi guys,

I'm hoping to get a little direction/advice from those of you who have probably been where I am right now. Just when I think I have finally made the decision to band (I have already made one appointment with OCC and postponed it), I read some posts about what a complete life change it is and hesitate.

First a little about me: I am a 40 year old male, 6-2 and currently at about 340 lbs. I was a scrawny kid up until about high school and then started really putting on the weight after my parents bought a pizza restaurant and I became a cook. I used to be active, playing baseball and hockey and golf. My weight now is to the point I am lethargic and don't want to take the time to even play with my kids. I know I need to do something but everything seems like too much of an effort..especially exercise. I have tried Nutrisystem, weight watchers, the pills that make you shit your pants when you eat too much fat and back in the day phen phen (no heart valve damage...yay!) and would lose weight with them all only to watch it all come back when I inevitably quit.

I think I have gotten past the apprehension of travelling from Canada to Mexico for surgery. My worry is how drastic the change in behavior would be after the band and if I have the ability to do it. I enjoy a good steak and love BBQ's burgers. I drink a ton of diet soda and always have a drink (not alcohol) with my meal. I love a cold glass of milk, a nice slice of toast and when I snack I always vassilate between salty things like chips and sweet things like jujubes. I know the quantities of the things I shove down my gullet will change after the band but how much of these things will I have to give up completely? I don't imagine the cravings for sweet and salty just magically go away after the band do they?

My wife says I am nuts to go through with this...that there are no easy fixes in life...that if I want to get this done I should try and go for a walk everyday, cut back on the pop (sorry us Canadians call soda pop eh?) and then see what I feel like in six months. My problem is I know that I am now at a point where I feel I have so far to go that doing things like exercise seems like a waste of time. I think that getting banded would allow me to drop some of the weight which would in turn make exercising a little easier. I also know that I've tried plenty of other things, had success and then slowly watched it all go away every time I stepped on the scale. I don't think I'm an emotional eater but I do often eat out of boredom.

Anyway, I'm rambling. I hope you see some of what I'm asking here, can relate and offer some answers and advice. I sure would appreciate it.

And by the way, what the hell is PBing anyway?!

Thanks!

I struggled for a year about whether to get lapband done also. I now wish I would have done it a year earlier. I was banded May 21, 2009 at OCC in Mexico. They took such great care of me and I was treated better than I have been treated in the states. I cant say enough good things about the OCC staff. I stayed at the Marriot and it was a beautiful, safe hotel. I thought I would have trouble giving up the soda, sweets, and salties, but wasn't near as bad as I thought. The pre diet that you do really helps you get a start. Then your 3 weeks of liquids help you change your habits. I still get some cravings for chocolate. I am a huge chocoholic. I found that the fat free Fudgesicles work really great at satisfying that craving and they are only 60 calories. I also substitute a chocolate protein shake for breakfast. You just have to look at the band as a tool, not a cure all. It is sooo wonderful to have restriction and become full with sooo little food. I always had a problem with overeating and this helps me to control that. You have to make sure you chew,chew,chew. This will prevent you from PBing. (Productive Burp) If you dont chew your food enough, you can get food stuck and it wont pass. It can be painful and your mouth will slime until it either passes or you spit it back up. I have only done this once and do not want to experience it again. I found out that I can't eat prunes. The skin just wouldn't break up enough to pass. The band is the best thing I could have done for my health. All my bloodwork before the band was abnormal (pre-diabetic, high cholesterol,etc) I had bloodwork 2 weeks ago and I am back into the normal range for everything. I wish you luck in making your decision to become healthy. I love my band!

Hi,

I'm 63 at 6ft 2 inches and was at 305 before the surgery. Once I was committed to the lap band program to assist me it was not hard to start the journey. To date I have lost 60 lbs. ( Many Stones for the Brits) I can work more now than when I was 50 and feel so much better. BP was 155/95, now 112/79. Cholesterol was approaching 200 now is 124. No borderline diabetic now. No tingling feet or hands.

I had wanted to do something about the excess weight for years. The Lap Band is the 'TOOL' that has helped me to stay focused to work to the proper weight amount. Notice it is just a tool. If you are not committed to the health benefits and the work on your part the band won't help you.

If you are committed to changing your way of life the band is the best assist I have found and I have tried most every fad diet and exercise program out there. It's not easy but with the band it is a most important assistant.

Wish I would have done this 5 years earlier and would do it again in a New York minute.

Best of Luck in your choice.

Darrel

P.S. They call P.B. productive Burping, I call it Pre Barfing.http://www.lapbandforum.com/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Thanks for the advice/answers. Another thing I worry a little about is whether there is a stigma attached to people that get the band. Shit like: he had to cheat to get healthy, or he didn't have enough willpower to do it himself. Has that happened to anyone? Did you share the fact you were getting this done with people beforehand or keep it a secret until the results came back? As I write this I realize that the judgement would be any worse than how you're judged for being a fatty but I would be interested in your experiences on this as well.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the advice/answers. Another thing I worry a little about is whether there is a stigma attached to people that get the band. Shit like: he had to cheat to get healthy, or he didn't have enough willpower to do it himself. Has that happened to anyone? Did you share the fact you were getting this done with people beforehand or keep it a secret until the results came back? As I write this I realize that the judgement would be any worse than how you're judged for being a fatty but I would be interested in your experiences on this as well.

Thanks again.

Hi and welcome to the forum.....

First of all I want to say this.... You are doing this for YOU and no one else. YOU and only YOU can make this decision. As far as what people say, the results speak for them self. So what if you needed help, we all needed help or we would not have this WONDERFUL, LIFE CHANGING tool. I was heavy all of my life. I hit my heaviest at 262 when I made the decision to have the band. My family thought I had lost my mind going to Mexico to get this band. They however supported me 150%. I was tired of being overweight, I was tired of carrying the weight around. I was tired of not being able to run around the yard with my family, I was tired of wondering if the tanning bed was going to crack...lol because I was too heavy! I did this for ME!

It is a life change. I have not had a soda since Oct 2008 and guess what, I dont miss it. There are however some foods that I do miss, like pizza, hamburgers and hotdogs, cant eat the bread, however I had my surgery Nov 14th 2008 and was wearing a size 20. I am now 195 and I am wearing a size 12. I will do with out the sodas and bread ANYDAY! You have to be mentally able to say ok, I have eating my cup of food, I am done. You have to say ok, I ate, I have to wait an hour before I can drink my water. HOWEVER you can do it. I eat SO heathy and I exercise as much as I have ever in my entire life. The results that you start to see, makes you wanna do even more and work even hard. You do have to work with this tool, it is not going to fall off over night. I think its all about what YOU want and if you can be honest with yourself and say, I am not going to be able to eat this, this and this and be ok with that. I can honesly say I did not think I would be able to give up diet coke, but was AMAZED at how easy it was when it came down to it. I would encourge you to research more and post your questions and look at the photo gallery.

Good Luck to you and you will make the best choice for you!

Carrie

Hi Thinkinghard

Welcome to the forum,Where are you in Canada?

I know there are a few support groups around,which could answer some of your questions.

I'm struggling right now and I am on Liquids but when I am eating I have BBQ steak only not the whole cow.LOL I have hamburgers but usually wrap it in a lettuce leaf instead of a bun. Pizza is OK for me as long as it is thin crust and I only eat one slice anyway. The fullness after one piece is as I ate the whole pizza pre-band.

The problem can be head hunger ,but most of us become more active after losing some weight so you are not constantly thinking what can I eat. I actually didn't work out until I had lost 50lbs and I know some people who haven't joined a gym or anything but just move more.

Just make sure you have aftercare in Canada incase any problems should arise.

Goodluck

Thanks again.

There aren't many people who know I have it.

There will always be people who will judge you .. but really, we're our own toughest critics.

The band is NOT easy.

You can still eat crap. You can still eat a lot of crap.

That no one will tell you differently about ... eating habits can't be transformed by surgery, nor the band.

Eating habits, and good ones are self taught - and the band won't provide that for you.

You may feel like you need more guidance. I know that there are lapband places here in Toronto, who provide FANTASTIC follow up care in terms of seminars, nutritional sessions, ect on living with the lapband. Getting the band in Mexico will not provide you with that ... that's something you may feel is crucial in terms of your success.

I didn't think about getting the band for very long. Maybe a month, before hopping on a plan to Tijuana ..

Would I do it again?

I'm not sure.

I haven't found it easy to live with ... and in reality, my weight gain has been due to lack of self control - not anything else.

I could diet with the band - but I could also diet without it, just as easily.

I really wouldn't be able to do this without the support of my boyfriend.

Please educate your wife (&yourself) before going further ... i can't imagine have done this without the support of the person who means the most to me.

It's definitely a HUGE lifestyle change.

There are still times my boyfriend is slightly offended when I can't 'join in' on our Friday night pizza ... my stomach can't hold it anymore - and the thought of gagging and barfing over the toilet because I didn't follow my obvious intuition doesn't make it worth it.

Our lifestyle has often revolved around food, and after the band, boy does that change.

The key to weight loss, is LONG TERM ... results don't come quickly.

You want to re-teach yourself how to live, with healthy food choices.

Eating less & moving more.

While we all want to get to a healthy weight, having the support system around us to be successful is so important.

Keep researching. Keep asking questions ... :)

Hi Thinkinghard

Welcome to the forum,Where are you in Canada?

I know there are a few support groups around,which could answer some of your questions.

I'm struggling right now and I am on Liquids but when I am eating I have BBQ steak only not the whole cow.LOL I have hamburgers but usually wrap it in a lettuce leaf instead of a bun. Pizza is OK for me as long as it is thin crust and I only eat one slice anyway. The fullness after one piece is as I ate the whole pizza pre-band.

The problem can be head hunger ,but most of us become more active after losing some weight so you are not constantly thinking what can I eat. I actually didn't work out until I had lost 50lbs and I know some people who haven't joined a gym or anything but just move more.

Just make sure you have aftercare in Canada incase any problems should arise.

Goodluck

Hi Nicole,

I am in Northern Ontario. WPG is my closest city. I notice you have had a lot of adjustments/fills/whatever. Is that normal? I imagine there's a place you're getting that done in Calgary and not flying back to Mexico every time? What are you paying each time for that?

Thanks for the advice/answers. Another thing I worry a little about is whether there is a stigma attached to people that get the band. S*** like: he had to cheat to get healthy, or he didn't have enough willpower to do it himself. Has that happened to anyone? Did you share the fact you were getting this done with people beforehand or keep it a secret until the results came back? As I write this I realize that the judgement would be any worse than how you're judged for being a fatty but I would be interested in your experiences on this as well.

Thanks again.

Hi Thinkin'!

Only a couple people know we (myself and teenage daughter) have the lapband. I didn't need to hear what folks had to say either way to know I wanted the lapband for myself, and surely wasn't going to listen to someone tell me that we were doing the wrong thing for our daughter. The positive changes we have seen in her far outway any argument anyone could have made for us not doing this for her. I don't necessarily feel the need to tell folks I have the lapband, anymore than I would be interested in knowing someone else had some other type of personal surgery. I don't brag about losing weight (I haven't lost as much as many people on this forum have, or as fast), and when someone mentions that I look like I've lost weight, I thank them for noticing and for mentioning it to me. Please don't let any "stigma" worries keep this amazing tool from helping you reach your goals. If someone implies that you "cheated" by getting the lapband, flash them your (soon to be) hot abs, and let it roll off your back! Good luck, whatever you decide to do. :)

Hi Nicole,

I am in Northern Ontario. WPG is my closest city. I notice you have had a lot of adjustments/fills/whatever. Is that normal? I imagine there's a place you're getting that done in Calgary and not flying back to Mexico every time? What are you paying each time for that?

MOST clinics in Canada won't touch you, because you're not their original client.

I did find ONE place in Ontario that does fills - at $150 each.

No guarantee's on fills.

I've had 3 fills - the first 2, i felt NOTHING.

And that's typical, and what you want .... it's a very very gradual process.

I haven't the time nor the energy to worry about what other people think or say. I made the decision that was right for me and my life. No one else is able to do this for me nor are they able to see and make the decisions I have to make for myself. Thru the years I have learned that with considerations to those around me it is much better to chart a course and strive for achievement of that course than it is to let sideline quarterbacks guide me with their biases.

What ever you decide you have to decide for you in your circumstance.

For me the band was/is the right decision.

I wish you the best of all life can offeryou.

Darrel

Hi, Thinkinghard - your post reminded me a lot of myself. Yesterday I booked my surgery w/Dr. Ortiz - and put down my deposit and bought a plane ticket today. Then the panic set in. How am I going to do this? What if the pre-op diet's a total failure - what if I just don't stick to it? What if I can't do the post-op and cheat and wreck my band? What if I experience endless pain and discomfort and can't get the hang of taking small bites? And the disaster-scenarios go on and on... lol But then I took a breath - yes, I am scared. But I won't give up this chance. If I stay fat then I know the outcome will be negative - at least with the band there is a lot of hope. I will do my personal best, and it will be worth it. I hope. :)

Hi, Thinkinghard - your post reminded me a lot of myself. Yesterday I booked my surgery w/Dr. Ortiz - and put down my deposit and bought a plane ticket today. Then the panic set in. How am I going to do this? What if the pre-op diet's a total failure - what if I just don't stick to it? What if I can't do the post-op and cheat and wreck my band? What if I experience endless pain and discomfort and can't get the hang of taking small bites? And the disaster-scenarios go on and on... lol But then I took a breath - yes, I am scared. But I won't give up this chance. If I stay fat then I know the outcome will be negative - at least with the band there is a lot of hope. I will do my personal best, and it will be worth it. I hope. :)

DiasterWalking!

What a GREAT response and such a GREAT ATTITUDE to have! Someone once told me that I had a great attitude and determination, not to worry that I would do great! Thanks again Lisa!

I think you will do AWESOME!

Carrie

Thank you so much for your kind words, Carrie. Judging from your pictures, you are doing wonderfully - you look beautiful! I am starting out at a very similar weight (to your starting weight, that is) - so those are a big inspiration! Anyway thanks again - I'm still scared, but sooo excited to have this chance to get my health back!

-- Deena

DisasterWalking:

I understand your concerns and hesitation. I'm going to be banded on Sept. 18, and while I don't have any hesitations, the whole "how am I going to explain this to people" has popped up in my mind. I remind myself that the band is a tool, like others have said. The true weightloss will be YOU being strong, eating less and exercising. It's your will and determination that will make the pounds shed...not solely the band. The band is not "weakness" on your part. It's your smart mind that made the choice to take control of your life! Why will I be losing weight? Because I'm eating less, counting calories & exercising. That's all aquaintances have to know. :)

A quote that often helps me when I'm feeling a little like I'm cheating or embarassed about what people may think:

"Patterning your life around other's opinions is nothing more than slavery." -Lawana Blackwell, The Dowry of Miss Lydia Clark, 1999

Hope I've helped even a little. Whatever decision you make, good luck and I wish you all the best in getting to your goal!

~charelle

Hi, Charelle! :) I'm going to be banded only 11 days after you! Actually, I'm not the original poster (didn't mean to hijack the thread and make it all-about-me lol) But I know exactly what you mean, and I LOVE that quote. As much as I would like to say differently, I do have some concerns about what people will think - but, you know what - who cares? I certainly don't care enough to stay fat for them, that's for sure! :P My concerns are mostly about my own willpower and ability to stick to doctor's orders. After years of making bad food choices and eating all kinds of crap, it will be a change. However, I am feeling more positive today and I know I can do it. Best of luck to you - I know you're gonna do great, too - wish we were going to be there at the same time, then I'd say hi in person!

- Deena