Considering lap-band surgery-Dr. Ortiz

I received all the information about the lap-band surgery and Dr. Ortiz and couldn't wait to get the surgery. Then I went on the lap band surgery forum and reality set in. I have read about the pain, nausea, gas, hunger etc an now I am scared to go through with it. So many things go through my mind--What if the band slips, what if there are complications and I have to rush to Tijuana for additional surgery. This is an important decision and a financial commitment.

From what I've read, those of you who have been through this think its worth the pain. I understand the importance of sticking to the liquid diet for 21 days prior and I will do that. I already walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes a day so I know I can do that. I haven't seen much on how people eat after they've healed and can eat regular food. Do they provide any written materials on nutrition, meal plans etc? I have yo yo's in the past and want to this to be successful it I go forward with the surgery. I would appreciate any advice or council.

Hi

Welcome to the forum.

I was banded 19months ago, ost most of my weight by Christmas and althiough I am having some issues right now,

if you asked me would I do it again. IN A HEART BEAT.

Dr Miranda will go through when to eat etc at the clinic ,but it is mainly trial and error. You will know what you can eat pretty early on

and aslong as you stay away from your problem foods and follow the rules, you will be fine.

Good luck

Hi Monica. I was banded on May 15, 2009 and I can say with complete conviction that it has been the right decision for me. The first week and half after surgery I was not well (nausea, vomitting, couldn't keep liquids down); though, I am not sure it was due to the surgery...perhaps I just had a tummy bug). In any case, I talked with Dr. O and Dr. A on a daily basis (several times a day) until they were comfortable that everything was okay and I was able to keep liquids down. Once that passed, I was fine and stuck to the post op diet. Today, I eat normal meals (portion control *band control* with healthy choices - as suggested by Dr. M)- protein is my least favorite, but I manage to eat it. I chew well and stop eating when I feel the signs telling me to stop. While I have to work at making good food choices; it is much easier knowing I have a friend "my band" helping me. I still have the desire to snack (menatally, but not really physically). I stay away from foods that are trouble for me (ice cream, sweets....the band will allow me to eat them, but I choose not to because my life experience tells me that I won't control them well). Pre-op weight was 245 and I am currently at 201 and have lost two pant sizes (at least...maybe more...everything is so baggy). The experience with OCC TJ team has been fantastic. I am 3 hours away from the center and have been back for a fill and will continue to go back, anytime. The center is clean, organized and safe and the doctors are awesome. I wish my local doctors were as great as the OCC TJ doctors. I wish you the best and if you have any questions, just ask.

I received all the information about the lap-band surgery and Dr. Ortiz and couldn't wait to get the surgery. Then I went on the lap band surgery forum and reality set in. I have read about the pain, nausea, gas, hunger etc an now I am scared to go through with it. So many things go through my mind--What if the band slips, what if there are complications and I have to rush to Tijuana for additional surgery. This is an important decision and a financial commitment.

From what I've read, those of you who have been through this think its worth the pain. I understand the importance of sticking to the liquid diet for 21 days prior and I will do that. I already walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes a day so I know I can do that. I haven't seen much on how people eat after they've healed and can eat regular food. Do they provide any written materials on nutrition, meal plans etc? I have yo yo's in the past and want to this to be successful it I go forward with the surgery. I would appreciate any advice or council.

All I can say is it was the best decision I have ever made. I got my life back. I had gas pain day 2 and 3 and other than that was great. Would I do it again HECK YES! Dr O is awesome! Hes my hero because he made happen what I could not do on my own. Well worth 2 days of discomfort for me...

This ride is maybe not always easy, but the best thing I've ever done for myself !

- very little discomfort after surgery, no gas pain at all

- other than bread I can pretty much eat anything

- learned to eat healthy and small portions

You are in the best of hands at the OCC :clapping:

gallery_11563_143_2416.jpgmed_gallery_11563_143_10512.jpg

hahahahaha that is an awesome way of looking at it!!!! Love it! :lol:

in a nutshell, what's more painful ...

carrying around 100lbs+ .. or a few days of gas.

Remember,, not every patient has a problem with the CO2. But, I think walking is about the best way of working it out of your system. I haven't heard of any thing else that works. Some patients will state that they took Gas-X and other products,, but they never say if it worked. Walk, Walk, Walk.

I didn't have bad gas pains, but I was sore at the port site for months (still am sometimes) and other than that, I didn't even feel like I had surgery- seriously. The hardest part of this for me has always been mental not physical. I can't use food for comfort anymore and sometimes don't know what to do with myself! Of course, I need less "comforting" now that I've lost almost 80 pounds-I feel SO much better about myself because of that.

I currently have a complete unfill in an effort to ease the swelling I got from being too tight, getting food stuck, then pb'ing. I'm doing it more as a precautionary measure- would not want to slip my band- and boy- what great reminder to me why I chose to lose weight with a band and not on my own or with a different surgery. First off, my discomfort was corrected IMMEDIATELY as soon as they unfilled it (LOVE that it is adjustable). The other thing I've noticed is that I am SO hungry without my fill. I actually woke up starving this morning (was only unfilled yesterday). I've become so used to NEVER being hungry that I forgot what it feels like. No wondder "diets" are so hard. It is so much easier with my band.

Best of luck to you.

Sabrina:)

I didn’t have much pain, (that was worthwhile to mention) or much gas and I didn’t take GasX or any other medication, including the pain pills we were sent home with or any aspirin. Like everyone says we’re all different – but one important point, out of the thousands that have been banded by Dr Ortiz, only about a hundred are actively posting. Generally people post when they have questions, or need advice – the truth is most are probably out there running around without much pain like I was and trucken on their merry way.

Even if I had more pain than I dealt with, I can honestly say now that I’m done that it could never be near the pain I suffered on a daily bases dealing with my obesity and the baggage of carrying over 130 pounds around on a daily basis. Mentally and physically it was horrible.

You may have some pain and discomfort and you may not. There’s no way in hell that I’d ever give up a chance to live a healthier, happier, more fulfilling life.

Best,

Lisa