Beer me!

So, last night I had my first beer. I am 4 months out since surgery. My paperwork said to wait 6 months......I waiting 4. Enjoyed it and drank it fairly slow. Didn't have any issues.

Naughty naughty!

I am a reformed diet coke drinker, as of now, I have no intention on picking that nasty habit back up.

So how bad am I for not waiting it out? Did any of you jump the gun?

BTW it tasted so good. Yummy!

So, last night I had my first beer. I am 4 months out since surgery. My paperwork said to wait 6 months......I waiting 4. Enjoyed it and drank it fairly slow. Didn't have any issues.

Naughty naughty!

I am a reformed diet coke drinker, as of now, I have no intention on picking that nasty habit back up.

So how bad am I for not waiting it out? Did any of you jump the gun?

BTW it tasted so good. Yummy!

I have had a few alcoholic beverages with carbonated drinks and they haven't hurt me. I don't drink them excessively and have had my band checked and it has not done any harm. I have 1 month to go until I can actually have carbonation but I really don't want to start drinking sodas again.

I have had a few alcoholic beverages with carbonated drinks and they haven't hurt me. I don't drink them excessively and have had my band checked and it has not done any harm. I have 1 month to go until I can actually have carbonation but I really don't want to start drinking sodas again.

I am scared to death to drink carbonated drinks, I wont touch them for the world. I was told that cabonination COULD cause your band to stretch and even could cause band errosion....YIKES! Honestly not sure if this is correct, but I will not take that chance.

Carrie

Not me - there was no way I was going to jeopardize my band, and would not have taken the chance under 6 months. I had a wedding at almost 2 years and I let the champagne sit - and drank a little toast. I've had some drinks in the last year after letting it sit and de fizz - but it taste bad and I can fill it on my band.

For newbies out there – you own it – it’s a risk, like anything – you might take a chance and try something and nothing bad happens – then again – it may. You have to decide if it’s worth the chance of doing the damage. We are told not to do it for a reason, and I get that its hard and honestly most of us have a weakness in the first place or we wouldn’t be here with the band – but at some point we need to step up and take a stand if we want to succeed.

And if we don't succeed we need to honest about how we used our bands, and how we treated them. Its a tool, treat it right and its very powerful, treat it wrong and you just wasted a lot of money, the doctors time, your hopes and efforts.

Not me - there was no way I was going to jeopardize my band, and would not have taken the chance under 6 months. I had a wedding at almost 2 years and I let the champagne sit - and drank a little toast. I've had some drinks in the last year after letting it sit and de fizz - but it taste bad and I can fill it on my band.

For newbies out there – you own it – it’s a risk, like anything – you might take a chance and try something and nothing bad happens – then again – it may. You have to decide if it’s worth the chance of doing the damage. We are told not to do it for a reason, and I get that its hard and honestly most of us have a weakness in the first place or we wouldn’t be here with the band – but at some point we need to step up and take a stand if we want to succeed.

And if we don't succeed we need to honest about how we used our bands, and how we treated them. Its a tool, treat it right and its very powerful, treat it wrong and you just wasted a lot of money, the doctors time, your hopes and efforts.

Lisal,well said thanks for a great great post I really want to succeed with this band so I must follow all the rules

again thanks so much I need to hear that Im doing the right thing

I am over a year into my lapband journey and I do not drink carbonated drinks. I was a die hard Diet Coke addict too and had tried to curb that bad habit before being banded so going back to drinking it now after successfully kicking it is just something that I do not want to do. Same with my husband who has the lapband too. I was never a beer drinker but I do still occasionally have a glass of wine or a mixed drink. Even that is rare though, but it was rare before being banded.

I agree with Lisa, there is quite a bit of self-sabotaging and just down right self-destructive behavior that got us to the point of needing a lapband in the first place and those behaviors will not just automatically stop because we have a lapband now. We still have to take responsibility for our behavior. And... a lifetime of poor eating behavior does not change in a few months, or in my case, in more than a year. That is why I try to be so diligent in NOT picking back up a negative behavior.

Ultimately, it is ALWAYS up to us how we manage our lapband tool.

Dawn

:rolleyes: Angie, I loved beer, after surgery I waited about 7months, and then drank one, it didn't have the taste I remembered, so I didn't try anymore, but I do love my wine, I have a glass or two every night. I don't think in moderation it will hurt you at this point, I have a friend who is a little over 6 months out and he drinks a beer or two, or three on weekends, he just takes it slow, one beer will last him an hour or longer, he has no problems and continues to loose weight.

I know they say don't drink at all, but I don't think on occasion it will be the death of your program.

Debe

Everyone is different, but I LOVED beer and it was hard not to have it, but I didn't have one until about 8 months out. I took two drinks of a beer and got a horrible pain in my shoulder that lasted for almost 24 hours. Was terrible! Just last week I had another one and it was OK, but i'm not going to make a habit of it. I drink wine or vodka and cranberry and i'm OK.

I was never a huge pop drinker but did like Dr. Pepper. I haven't had a pop since a few days before surgery and i'm gonna keep it that way. When I did WW years ago I didn't have one for 6 months and then when I did it tasted terrible so I just keep telling myself that is what will happen this time too so it keeps me away from it.

Be very careful drinking beer or pop too early it can really do harm!