Alcohol & Coffee

I like both coffee every morning and alcohol socially. Is there a threat to your band if you drink either of these? I read something a long time ago that said these are both big no-nos. Does anyone out there have any facts on this?

thanks

I like both coffee every morning and alcohol socially. Is there a threat to your band if you drink either of these? I read something a long time ago that said these are both big no-nos. Does anyone out there have any facts on this?

thanks

It is my understanding that coffee is a no no because it is a diuretic. Water intake is a very important part of our healthy lifestyle.

Alcohol has a few down falls. First we are advised not to drink out calories. Secondly, the warning is for carbination.

I drink tons of water since I live in the desert...my water intake is probably one of the highest of most people. I dont drink soda, tea or any other type of drink other than water...every once in awhile I will drink a diet snapple.

I totally understand all the "empty calorie" issues...what I am concerned about is DAMAGEto the band.

Does anyone have any facts about this?

thanks

I don't know of any damage it can do to your band, unless drinking alcohol causes you acid reflux. (That's what can damage the band, along with over eating and not chewing your food).

I'm a wine drinker and have had my occasional glass of wine (about 2 week when I was in my weight loss stage). I drink a few glasses a week now. Red wine is about 95 calories for a glass. I add it into my daily intake of calories.

The only no no would be (as noted) if you drink something with fizz....

There seems to be alot of confusion on this subject.

I wish one of the doctors would reply!!

I'm not confused - however to get an answer you are comfortable with you should go directly to the doctors.

This is a forum for the patients to use and I’ve yet to see a doctor reply to a post. Not saying it can’t happen – in almost three years I haven’t seen it.

I don't drink coffee so i'm no help there, but I drink alcohol on a regular basis. I know of no issues but you need to count it in your calorie intake. Also, i'd say you need to be very careful that you do not drink to excess. I know for me my tolerance is now shot - I used to be able to throw them back with the rest of them now that is soooo not true! So take your time and know your limits b/c you don't want to be getting sick. That would be the biggest issue if you get sick and risk slipping.

As long as you are counting your calories I see no issue. Now, I still do no carbonation, so I stick to wine or drinks like vodka and cranberry but otherwise i've had no issues.

I don't drink coffee so i'm no help there, but I drink alcohol on a regular basis. I know of no issues but you need to count it in your calorie intake. Also, i'd say you need to be very careful that you do not drink to excess. I know for me my tolerance is now shot - I used to be able to throw them back with the rest of them now that is soooo not true! So take your time and know your limits b/c you don't want to be getting sick. That would be the biggest issue if you get sick and risk slipping.

As long as you are counting your calories I see no issue. Now, I still do no carbonation, so I stick to wine or drinks like vodka and cranberry but otherwise i've had no issues.

Thank you Shelby...that makes so much sense to me! I really want my coffee, but this helps with the alcohol issue...I think the band has forced me to be careful, so that is another great health advantage!!