Protein Shakes

drsteve

My surgery is scheduled for the end of October. I have ordered Optifast 800 just to taste it. I am a choclaholic so of course I ordered chocolate. It tasted just ok. They also sent me a sample of Bariatric Advantage High Protein Meal Replacement which tasted better.

I also ordered Optifast 800 bars. I liked the sample of the Bariatric Advantage Control bars better.

I would like some suggestions about other alternatives you may have tried. I know I will have to find something that I like since I will be needing it for both before and after surgery.

Also, I'm not big on measuring or counting calories. If that's you, and you have been successful in losing weight, I would like to hear about it.

I like unjury protein powders. You can order them (online only) at unjury.com. You have to mix it yourself so it is not as convenient as pre-mixed, ready to go shakes. You can order small samples of all the flavors to try before committing to the large container. They have an unflavored one that mixes well with crystal lite or other beverages and you will barely notice it is there. They have chocolate, vanilla, strawberry sorbet, the unflavored one and a chicken broth flavor. The texture is very smooth and it does not thicken if left standing.

I do not know if it is a meal replacement bar, but my husband and I like the Zone bars they sell at Costco. The chocolate one is really good.

I have lost 45 pounds without weighing or measuring food. I'm really not a good dieter, never have been so I got my lapband to leave all of that weighing, measuring, counting points, carbs, fat grams, protein grams, and all of that dieting behind...but you do have to follow the rules, protein first, vegies/fruits, starch (if you have room) and you can cheat with a lapband so you do have to be aware of what/how much you are putting in your mouth. Also, if you do not get good restriction right off (and most do not) you will be using your own willpower to control your portions until you get the restriction you need. The lapband is a process, you learn as you go. As you lose, you will have to make adjustments. Right now, I have been at this weight since March and cannot seem to get off this plateau so I'm going to add more exercise and take a look at what I can eliminate from my diet. You have to be careful with liquid calories or you can really sabotage your weight loss efforts.

Even if you do not order, the unjury web site has some good information and recipes for protein shakes.

Good luck. Take care.

My surgery is scheduled for the end of October. I have ordered Optifast 800 just to taste it. I am a choclaholic so of course I ordered chocolate. It tasted just ok. They also sent me a sample of Bariatric Advantage High Protein Meal Replacement which tasted better.

I also ordered Optifast 800 bars. I liked the sample of the Bariatric Advantage Control bars better.

I would like some suggestions about other alternatives you may have tried. I know I will have to find something that I like since I will be needing it for both before and after surgery.

Also, I'm not big on measuring or counting calories. If that's you, and you have been successful in losing weight, I would like to hear about it.

I haven't found anything that I like better than Muscle Milk Light. It is lactose free, which is a big deal for me, and 100 calories with 15 grams of protein. It tastes great! I also like the protein bullets (25 grams of protein) that I buy from Walmart.

I have never even had protein shakes post band...I make my own smoothies with greek yogurt and whatever I feel like blending into it. I have never been able to find a diet shake I like. The greek yogurt I buy has 24 g of protein in it and is only 120 calories.

I like the Premier Protein shakes (get @ COSTCO) they only have chocolate. I used to live on EAS vanilla but the Premier has 30 grams vice 17 grams of protein so I made the switch. would love if I could find vanilla in the Premier (maybe I will look on line) Also was going to get the Premier protein bars but they are pretty high cal. (wish I didn't have to buy so many I might try them?) I like Pure Protein bars (get at Walmart) they are 20 grams of protein and better calories 200. been on the lookout for a protein bar that is filling. Like ZONE dark chocolate w/almonds. ( I am a dark chocolate gal from wayyyy back!) I also eat Energy bars I get @ COSTCO good ingredients. Try not to eat too much "artificial" food!

I don't measure my food. I have used Sparkpeople to log my food on when I feel like I am not eating the right mix (not getting enough protein, too many carbs) I consider myself a professional dieter so I intuitively know what is in certain foods. I am 4 1/2 months out post band and it has been a learning curve for me. I am glad ( most days) I have this tool in me. What I know without a doubt is that I would never have kept the weight off I have lost. It has been slow but when (I WILL GET THERE!) I can get to my goal and not regain (which is what I normally do) I will be forever grateful for this band.

Good luck on your journey. I have found that keeping connected to this group (don't always post but log in most everyday) reminds me that I am not alone and my struggle is not unique!

D. :lb11:

I have never even had protein shakes post band...I make my own smoothies with greek yogurt and whatever I feel like blending into it. I have never been able to find a diet shake I like. The greek yogurt I buy has 24 g of protein in it and is only 120 calories.

Holly,

What is the brand of greek yogurt, What store do you usually get it?

Thanxs,

D.

Everyone is so different you have to just test some out and see what you like. For me the EAS shakes are the most bearable. I don't have time to mix them myself and it would probably taste better if I did but that is just not an option. I've never found a bar I liked so I don't do them. I also don't measure I just eat slow and listen to my body. I count calories b/c if I don't eat enough my weight doesn't drop.

It's so funny how different everyone's taste is. I bought a muscle milk one day and about threw up!

Holly - I got some greek yogurt today! I bought a mulit pack with 4 different flavors at costco. Been on the look out for it, and this was the first I had saw of it! Plan on trying it tomorrow for breakfast. It has 15 gm of protein!!! Yay!

I am still on the search for Quinoa (sp). Have you found it? I may have to go to Wholefoods.....??