I had my surgery yesterday!

Hi All,

Before my surgery I learned so much from everyone's posting so I wanted let everyone know how my surgery went yesterday! I am so glad that it is over. The trip was great, just as promised by the coordinator. We were picked up at the airport on time no problems and then taken to the facility to have some tests done. That only took a few minutes and the facility is beautiful and clean. Everyone on the staff is wonderful and will do everything they can to make sure that you are comfortable.

On the day of the surgery there were 5 of us there together, some with their spouses and others alone. The surgery was so easy, I can't believe I wasted so much time worrying about it. All of us were done by 4 pm after that we all went back to our hotel, we didn't even have to stay the night at the facility. When I woke up after the surgery I didn't even realize what had happened, I didn't have any pain and thought maybe I awakened before they were able to do the surgery! I was up and walking a half hour later with very little discomfort, although later in the evening I was a bit tender but nothing terrible.

I had my husband come on the trip with me because I was afraid but after going through the experience I would have had him stay home. After I went to the facility for the first time I was at ease, I had him stay at the hotel the day of my surgery because I didn't want him to be bored to tears waiting for me all day. I would have been fine doing the trip alone.

I will keep everyone one posted along the way about my journey with having my band! Thanks to all of the people who have posted in the past making my decision to do this an easy one.

:P

Hi All,

Just got back from walking around all day and shopping. I had to take it a little slower than usual but not bad at all! Dr. Ortiz didn't tell me what band he was using, I am sure that he would have if I had thought to ask. All I wanted to do was get the surgery over with and I drew a blank when it came to asking him questions. Everyone on the staff is great and the Dr will come in and talk with you one on one before your surgery. Sorry I couldn't help more with your question. Keep me posted on how your surgeries go! I am sure that you will be just fine!

Hi All,

Just got back from walking around all day and shopping. I had to take it a little slower than usual but not bad at all! Dr. Ortiz didn't tell me what band he was using, I am sure that he would have if I had thought to ask. All I wanted to do was get the surgery over with and I drew a blank when it came to asking him questions. Everyone on the staff is great and the Dr will come in and talk with you one on one before your surgery. Sorry I couldn't help more with your question. Keep me posted on how your surgeries go! I am sure that you will be just fine!

congrates on your surgery welcome to band land your band size is on the card that they gave you it should tell

you you band size and the serial number

Thanks! I found the band on the back of the card they gave me - Johnson & Johnson SAGB VC Band. Hope that helps.

For the person who asked - does it matter what kind of band you get? I was just curious, I had done more research on the surgery and experiences that people had rather than the brand of the band. Just wondering if it makes a difference brand to brand. Thanks!

Thanks so much for sharing this, Elain67. I am traveling by myself next week for surgery on the 22nd. You have eased my mind quite a bit. Now my only major concern is being thirsty on the two mornings I have to fast. I'm used to drinking a lot of water in the morning. Did that bother anyone?

Margie

Congrats and i'm glad all went well! Here's to the beginning of a lot of great changes for you!

Can't wait to hear about your progress!

Hi, Elain67 - I am so glad you had such a great experience - it gives me lots of hope that mine will be great as well! Now, as for the different types of bands (please keep in mind, I'm not a medical professional, these are just my opinions/impressions) - there are two major manufacturers Allergan/Inamed and Johnson & Johnson (who make the REALIZE C band, which I believe is the one you have). The Inamed band comes in two sizes, 4cc and 10cc, while the J&J is, I believe, 11 cc (someone correct me if that's not the case). The pro's and con's which I've read (and remember, this is all anecdotal internet evidence) is that the J & J band is wider and therefore may be less prone to slippage and is lower-pressure. Some people say the J&J is more likely to leak because it will form creases at 9cc's - others say this is not true - and that it is LESS likely to leak because it's pre-curved. The main difference I've read about is that people who get the smaller (4cc) Inamed band need fewer fills to achieve restriction, and some have a little restriction before getting a fill at all, since it's a smaller band. Although you will always have random folks on the internet telling you one is fantastic (the one they have) and the other is terrible - most doctors seem to think they are both very good, and they will both help you achieve your weight loss. I've heard it said that it's like buying a new Chevy or a new Ford - there are slight differences, but they'll both get you where you need to go. :)

p.s. - there is a good thread on this subject stickied at the top of this forum called "Which Brand of Gastric Band Does the OCC Use?"

Hi All,

Before my surgery I learned so much from everyone's posting so I wanted let everyone know how my surgery went yesterday! I am so glad that it is over. The trip was great, just as promised by the coordinator. We were picked up at the airport on time no problems and then taken to the facility to have some tests done. That only took a few minutes and the facility is beautiful and clean. Everyone on the staff is wonderful and will do everything they can to make sure that you are comfortable.

On the day of the surgery there were 5 of us there together, some with their spouses and others alone. The surgery was so easy, I can't believe I wasted so much time worrying about it. All of us were done by 4 pm after that we all went back to our hotel, we didn't even have to stay the night at the facility. When I woke up after the surgery I didn't even realize what had happened, I didn't have any pain and thought maybe I awakened before they were able to do the surgery! I was up and walking a half hour later with very little discomfort, although later in the evening I was a bit tender but nothing terrible.

I had my husband come on the trip with me because I was afraid but after going through the experience I would have had him stay home. After I went to the facility for the first time I was at ease, I had him stay at the hotel the day of my surgery because I didn't want him to be bored to tears waiting for me all day. I would have been fine doing the trip alone.

I will keep everyone one posted along the way about my journey with having my band! Thanks to all of the people who have posted in the past making my decision to do this an easy one.

:P

Hi Elain!

Congrats and welcome to bandland! This will truely change your life in so many ways. It have been the best decision I have every made for myself. I am glad that your experience was as great as all of ours has been. You are going to do just great!

Carrie

Thanks so much for sharing this, Elain67. I am traveling by myself next week for surgery on the 22nd. You have eased my mind quite a bit. Now my only major concern is being thirsty on the two mornings I have to fast. I'm used to drinking a lot of water in the morning. Did that bother anyone?

Margie

I drank water on the morning of the fast, I was under the impression that it was OK to do that. Please check with the center though because I may be wrong about that.

Hey All,

I am on day 3 of clear liquids and it has not been bad at all. So far I am not feeling any hunger, I thought that this part would be really hard but is turning out to be pretty easy so far. I had seen on another post that it was helpful to bring bring boullion soup cubes with me to use at the hotel and was very glad that I did. I rinsed out the coffee maker really well and ran water through so I would have hot water to make some clear soup. I also brought some crystal light individual packs to use in the water when we were out and about. Hope this helps. Good luck to everyone that is having surgery soon, it will be just fine.

I drank water on the morning of the fast, I was under the impression that it was OK to do that. Please check with the center though because I may be wrong about that.

Hi,

Yes, I just checked this with Carolyn this week. Absolutely nothing by mouth for the 8 hours prior to tests and surgery. I was trying to see if I could sneak in a little caffeine : )

Margie

Sorry guys I was wrong about the water intake before the testing and surgery. Thanks for following up, I would never intentionally mislead anyone. There was a lot of information to take in & I was really nervous so obviously overlooking some important details. Thanks!

Hi,

Yes, I just checked this with Carolyn this week. Absolutely nothing by mouth for the 8 hours prior to tests and surgery. I was trying to see if I could sneak in a little caffeine : )

Margie

They told me when they put you to sleep for the surgery your throat doesnt remember how to swallow so if you had anything within the 8 hours (even water) and by chance you burp or something while out, it could come up into your lungs and you can drown. Thats what they told me anyway at the Surgery Center i go to