honest responses

hello, im going in for my surgery sept 25th and im really excited. this is the first time i have ever gotten such a life changing procedure. im not nervous or scared i just have some questions that i would like to put to people that have actually had it done and know what im going through. what do you do to fight urges? do you know anyone that the procedure did not work for? im sure there are foods and ways around the lapband to eat what you want? have you ever done it? what were the results? i am very dedicated to losing the weight and working hard, but i know myself and it took me 25 years to develop these bad eating habits, i know their not going away over night. i know im not alone in this. im just looking for some people that are willing to be truly honest with me. thanks. eddie

ok - Ill try!

To fight the urges - I will be completely honest ok, no one jump down my throat for it. I had to resort to chew and spit - seriously. Or I never would have made it. I am sure there are better ways but I dont care what anyone says, when I was desperate and new nothing else would work - that is what I did. I didnt do it much - maybe 10 or 15 times.

I only know people online who the procedure did not work for, no one personally sorry- or well I guess its a good thing!

Yup - I am horrible for eating ice cream and chocolate. I am slowly still fixing that. I buy a box of 100 calorie chocolate bars and put them in the freezer and have one a day so I dont go over board - but be careful, I have eaten 3 in one day a few times. Due to needing an unfil it hasnt done any damage yet - but dont get into those crappy habbits! I was doing really good and started those bad habbits and seriously they seem to be harder to break now!

It is VERY VERY VERY hard for my brain to catch up with my weight loss. I can completely understand why some places make you do counselling now.

It is 110% worth it! Yet I still have days where I think - I HATE THIS BAND...but really I love it....we have a love/hate relationship - but I think that is more to being too tight orrrrrrrrrrrrr it could be that I would kill for a big mac!

hello, im going in for my surgery sept 25th and im really excited. this is the first time i have ever gotten such a life changing procedure. im not nervous or scared i just have some questions that i would like to put to people that have actually had it done and know what im going through. what do you do to fight urges? do you know anyone that the procedure did not work for? im sure there are foods and ways around the lapband to eat what you want? have you ever done it? what were the results? i am very dedicated to losing the weight and working hard, but i know myself and it took me 25 years to develop these bad eating habits, i know their not going away over night. i know im not alone in this. im just looking for some people that are willing to be truly honest with me. thanks. eddie

ok - Ill try!

To fight the urges - I will be completely honest ok, no one jump down my throat for it. I had to resort to chew and spit - seriously. Or I never would have made it. I am sure there are better ways but I dont care what anyone says, when I was desperate and new nothing else would work - that is what I did. I didnt do it much - maybe 10 or 15 times.

I only know people online who the procedure did not work for, no one personally sorry- or well I guess its a good thing!

Yup - I am horrible for eating ice cream and chocolate. I am slowly still fixing that. I buy a box of 100 calorie chocolate bars and put them in the freezer and have one a day so I dont go over board - but be careful, I have eaten 3 in one day a few times. Due to needing an unfil it hasnt done any damage yet - but dont get into those crappy habbits! I was doing really good and started those bad habbits and seriously they seem to be harder to break now!

It is VERY VERY VERY hard for my brain to catch up with my weight loss. I can completely understand why some places make you do counselling now.

It is 110% worth it! Yet I still have days where I think - I HATE THIS BAND...but really I love it....we have a love/hate relationship - but I think that is more to being too tight orrrrrrrrrrrrr it could be that I would kill for a big mac!

Ha! ha! I chewed and spit during my post-op diet. When I told my husband and a fellow bandster about it, they gave me the pathetic vibe. Sooo I was pathetic, but it was better than the alternitive. Although I wish I could say I chewed and spit a big mac, instead I will admit it was a lamo hot dog slice. But it tasted so good, and I savored the juices. Never thought a darn hot dog would ever taste that good. LOL (I did have my cheat moments too. Actually listed them on my blog entry back when that was what was happening in my band world.)

Now, I am living with the band. I am not super strict with my diet. I have strings of time when I add No No's to my diet. Which impacts my weight loss. On a postive note I am getting better, and better about my diet. For me conforming has been a process. I really don't feel like I deprive myself. Most of the foods I ate before I can eat now. I don't do breads, on occasion I will have some pasta, but mostly I do protein.

Hope this helps.

Eddie,

Congrats, your getting very close! Dont be neverous, you will have such a great experience! The OCC Staff is AMAZING!

As far as urges I have to set goals. I too fight ICE CREAM.. :angry: bad bad NO NO for me. The strange thing with this is I NEVER craved it before, really weird too me. The band does "forbid" me to eat certain foods but there is alot of the foods that I have to say no too. It does control the amount I eat, but I have to control what goes in my mouth. I HIGHLY suggest you count your calories and weigh your food. ,I THOUGHT I knew how many caloires I was eating a day and thought there was know way I could be getting close to 1200 calories a day. But if you count EVERYTHING liquids incued that goes into your mouth, you will be suprised, I was SHOCKED!

Get the bandster rules and follow them as much as you can to stay on track. I am not saying I follow everything perfect because I dont. I have had days where I have eaten Cookies, Ice Cream, Starbuck, chips and dip ALL in the same day!!! and more than once...That is why I set goals and try to pace myself with it. I know food is a big deal for all of us and I dont think you have to give up Ice Cream, I just dont think you can eat a entire container of it everyday..lol. I started me goal a week at a time, now I am up to three weeks before I can have Ice Cream and no I dont always stick too it but I do try very hard!

Like you said it took 25 years, but you seem to have a great attitude and drive! Like someone else said. You will have a love/hate relationship with the band, with the Scales, with food. You are going to get frustrated, honestly over and over but I promise just keep on keeping on, push through all the ups and downs, I promise it will be 150% worth it!!! It is truely going to change your life and your going to be amazing at the people its going to change around you. It has change my familys as well.

Food is all of our struggle, but we are all here to help one another, encourage one another through the good and bad!

Good Luck to you!

Carrie

ok - Ill try!

Canadian Banster...

LoL....Wished I would have thought to chew and spit. I didnt crave food so much as something to chew...

Carrie

I'll be totally honest with you...I had horrible eating habits when I got the band. After the band I tried really, really hard to follow doctors orders and failed miserably. The 21 day liquid diet lasted 2 days for me. I did everything possible to sabotage myself. I read books (Dr. Ortiz' book is great), prayed, cried, etc. I really thought that I wasted my money and failed again at losing weight. What I didn't realize was that the band will not have any affect until it is filled. The first fill comes around the 6 week mark. I asked for an aggressive fill and got 3.5cc. That fill did nothing for me. I really questioned myself at that point. I actually thought that I would be one of the failures with the band. I immediately made another appointment for a fill. 3 weeks later I got another 3.5cc's for a total of 7cc's. That was the magic number for me. Now I see what the fuss is all about. I have restriction and am finally losing weight. I just needed a fill and a kick in the pants. The kick comes from the restriction. If you over-eat, you'll pay and then you'll learn how to eat right. I'm on track now, but it was not instantaneous and not immediate.

To sum it up...you'll have to be proactive and aggressive on your fills because the band alone will not help you. Drinking your calories will definitely screw up your efforts to lose the weight. Eating ice-cream and other junk foods will also inhibit your weight loss. Stay away from those things and eat only solid foods. With a good fill the solids will be enough to satiate you.

Good luck

I am now so happy with my band. I eat what I want, when I want, just not as much as I want.....lol.

My weight it coming off slow...but I have lost 41 lbs. I think it's awesome to heat a handful of Funyuns and know I am still going to lose weight!!!

If I could just get rid of this annoying shoulder pain, I would be a happy camper.

I did follow the 21 days except I ate a lot of baby cereal and baby food.

I'll be totally honest with you...I had horrible eating habits when I got the band. After the band I tried really, really hard to follow doctors orders and failed miserably. The 21 day liquid diet lasted 2 days for me. I did everything possible to sabotage myself. I read books (Dr. Ortiz' book is great), prayed, cried, etc. I really thought that I wasted my money and failed again at losing weight. What I didn't realize was that the band will not have any affect until it is filled. The first fill comes around the 6 week mark. I asked for an aggressive fill and got 3.5cc. That fill did nothing for me. I really questioned myself at that point. I actually thought that I would be one of the failures with the band. I immediately made another appointment for a fill. 3 weeks later I got another 3.5cc's for a total of 7cc's. That was the magic number for me. Now I see what the fuss is all about. I have restriction and am finally losing weight. I just needed a fill and a kick in the pants. The kick comes from the restriction. If you over-eat, you'll pay and then you'll learn how to eat right. I'm on track now, but it was not instantaneous and not immediate.

To sum it up...you'll have to be proactive and aggressive on your fills because the band alone will not help you. Drinking your calories will definitely screw up your efforts to lose the weight. Eating ice-cream and other junk foods will also inhibit your weight loss. Stay away from those things and eat only solid foods. With a good fill the solids will be enough to satiate you.

Good luck

Hi CatiE,

Did you go back to OCC for your fill or did you use a local Dr. ? What type of band do you have?