NOVEMBER SURGERIES AND FILLS

Anyone staying at the Marriott or Lucerna 11/18 thru 11/22? Getting banded on Friday, 11/20. Would like to meet up with other bandsters.

Elizabeth

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey! Thanks! I went back to the hotel the day of the surgery, and we ended up catching a cab to the border early yesterday to spend the day with my hubbys cousin. I feel pretty good.. still sore and gassy! LOL!! Will keep everyone posted.. How are you doing?

Well its kinda weird.. Sometimes I feel like I need to burp, and then there is sort of a pain in my upper chest, then nothing! :( LOL I'll get over it! :) Other than that, everything is healing up great! I think I am going to hardly have any scarring at all! :)

Hi everyone. :lb10: I am a December bandster and have been following this thread because there is not a lot of action in the December thread. I love reading about all of your surgeries and stories. My surgery is scheduled for December 18th. Can't wait. That is about 4 1/2 weeks from today. Anyone have any advice they would like to share for someone who is 4 weeks out from surgery?

Hi everyone. :lb10: I am a December bandster and have been following this thread because there is not a lot of action in the December thread. I love reading about all of your surgeries and stories. My surgery is scheduled for December 18th. Can't wait. That is about 4 1/2 weeks from today. Anyone have any advice they would like to share for someone who is 4 weeks out from surgery?

Hi Steph!

I'm just one month post op...and the best advise I can offer is to lose as much weight as you can prior to the surgery. Stick to whichever diet plan Dr. Miranda has suggested and incorporate as much exercise into your day as possible. The more fit you are going in will result in the faster you will recover. PLUS...being on the diet and exercise prior will set you up for all the good behaviors you will be living after the surgery!

Good luck and enjoy...I'm so glad I made the decision..my only regret is that I didn't do this earlier!!! (like 5 years ago!!!)

Bye for now!

Cheryl

Oh man! I have been burping like crazy!! My soreness is getting better and better. My scars are looking good too.. I dont think I will hardly be able to see the small ones at all! How is your hunger level now?

Well its kinda weird.. Sometimes I feel like I need to burp, and then there is sort of a pain in my upper chest, then nothing! :( LOL I'll get over it! :) Other than that, everything is healing up great! I think I am going to hardly have any scarring at all! :)

Good advice Cheryl. I agree with what you said.

Steph

If you are being banded in December start living your life now as though you were banded. Follow your pre-op diet strictly to lose as much weight as you can before surgery and start excerising now. You will have to do 30 minutes of excerise every day once banded so you might as well start doing it now. It will help your body prepare for surgery and give you a head start. I would also recommend not drinking with your meals now and cutting out carbonated beverages. That will help you get used to what you have to do once your banded.

I wish you the best of luck and remember to keep us posted on your progress

Debbie

Good advice Cheryl. I agree with what you said.

Steph

If you are being banded in December start living your life now as though you were banded. Follow your pre-op diet strictly to lose as much weight as you can before surgery and start excerising now. You will have to do 30 minutes of excerise every day once banded so you might as well start doing it now. It will help your body prepare for surgery and give you a head start. I would also recommend not drinking with your meals now and cutting out carbonated beverages. That will help you get used to what you have to do once your banded.

I wish you the best of luck and remember to keep us posted on your progress

Debbie

good advice Debbie..and WOW...check out your weight loss and only with the band and no fills yet!! Totally awesome =D>

The best advice I can give you is to pick which preop diet you are going to do, and throw out ALL of the junk food well before!! Tell your roommates or family you are living with you are on this diet, and not to bring anything tempting around the house! If they want to eat junk they can do it away from home. I ate some junk before my preop diet, then had to lose that PLUS the required weight for the surgery. Not very smart I know, just honest! :) One thing that really helped me with loosing the weight was tons of WATER. I love drinking water anyway (usually 3 liters a day), but when the weight seemed to be stalling, I doubled it and it flew off! I had water, coffee and a salad consisting of lettuce, spinach, feta cheese a little but of pepper and garlic with hot sauce as a dressing. May not be your thing, but it worked for me! :) Good luck with everything!! :lb2:

Here is a link to the slideshow of pics I took from our little trip to TJ for Mom's lap-band surgery on Nov 13!

First images are from the Lucerna, then the clinic. Sorry some are fuzzy - I took them all with my HTC Hero cell phone in order to be less conspicuous (tourist with camera!!!!). Most are fair, though, and I hope you enjoy!

http://s394.photobucket.com/albums/pp23/li...mview=slideshow

Here is a link to the slideshow of pics I took from our little trip to TJ for Mom's lap-band surgery on Nov 13!

First images are from the Lucerna, then the clinic. Sorry some are fuzzy - I took them all with my HTC Hero cell phone in order to be less conspicuous (tourist with camera!!!!). Most are fair, though, and I hope you enjoy!

Hi Beth,

Wow I wish now that I stayed at the Lucerna with you and your mother. You take wonderful pictures and have such a photographic eye. I think these pictures should be included on the OCC web site.

How is your mother doing? She is so petite to begin with that I can't even begin to imagine what she is going to look like a couple months from now. I am doing great. I really love the liquid diet. I told Dr. So today that I am too scared to go off liquids now. I can hear all the liquid moving through my pipes and it is really cool. I feel like I am going through major detox and all the pipes are being flushed :rolleyes: It sounds and feels like pogress. Like my body is actually accomplishing something. I wonder if your mother feels the same way. I think you are back on liquids now too. How is it for you? This morning was my weigh in and I lost 3 pounds since Friday (water). I cant wait until next weeks weigh in.

Well, tootles for now. Maybe we will run into each other again at the Center.

Hi Beth,

Wow I wish now that I stayed at the Lucerna with you and your mother. You take wonderful pictures and have such a photographic eye. I think these pictures should be included on the OCC web site.

How is your mother doing? She is so petite to begin with that I can't even begin to imagine what she is going to look like a couple months from now. I am doing great. I really love the liquid diet. I told Dr. So today that I am too scared to go off liquids now. I can hear all the liquid moving through my pipes and it is really cool. I feel like I am going through major detox and all the pipes are being flushed :rolleyes: It sounds and feels like pogress. Like my body is actually accomplishing something. I wonder if your mother feels the same way. I think you are back on liquids now too. How is it for you? This morning was my weigh in and I lost 3 pounds since Friday (water). I cant wait until next weeks weigh in.

Well, tootles for now. Maybe we will run into each other again at the Center.

Mom is... hungry! LOL. Actually, I just posted about how she's doing... currently that would be dizzy and nauseous - not good. I think she's having a harder time than most, but she's also 57 and not 27, 37, or even 47. I think it may simply take a bit longer for her to heal.

As for me, I am TECHNICALLY on liquid right now, but have this problem where I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome and if I eat only liquids, I tend to get serious digestive distress. After my surgery, I made it 6 days on liquids before I got sick... this time I made it 24 hours. So I'm trying to eat small portion sizes and choose soup at least once a day. The main goal is to keep the upper pouch as empty as possible so that it shrinks back down. I think in a month I may as the lap-band surgeon in town if he could just take a look at my stomach under x-ray and see if it is still stretched out. That way if things are still looking iffy, I'll know well before returning to Dr. Ortiz for a re-fill.

As for the website, they are certainly welcome to use them, though I'm sure there are better ones out there! I kinda wish I'd used my camera... I mean, my phone is a 5 megapixel camera on its own, by my camera is 12.1 megapixels!

God, I am such a technogeek! :-D

Wow thank you everyone for the great advice. I think I am going to start this coming Thursday (four weeks prior to surgery) and rotate the shake pre-op diet and the induction of Atkins for variety. I really appreciate everyones' input.

So excited but nervous at the same time. I am more nervous for adjusting to the new lifestyle than I am for the surgery itself.

Thank you so much for posting those pictures. I agree you do have quite an eye for photography and the website should add some of those pics.

LittleRoo-

Your pics turned out great! I am so glad we stayed at the Lucerna.. it was beautiful and everyone was so great! I am sorry to hear that your Mom is having a hard time, I hope you both feel better soon!

Steph-

You may want to talk to Dr Miranda before you do the diet like that. I tried it that way and when I talked to her she was not happy. She said if you want to do the Atkins, you need to do it full blown for a month. She made me immediately go strictly to the shakes and lean cuisine version. So you may need to chose one or the other, plus when I went to one I lost a lot more weight!

Good luck to everyone!! :D

Still looking for anyone getting banded Nov 27. If there is anyone else out there with the same date, please let me know.

Also, any suggestions for things to take with you, things your dragged down there and didn't use or things you wish you had taken with you would be greatly appreciated.

Nervous Newbie!!

Okay, waaay too much information from LittleRoo about her mom. I may be old, but I'm still a fighter. I really haven't been hungry but definitely thinking about food too much. Last night was a bit tough. I took all of my meds and once and I guess they got stuck. The pain and nausea were so bad I got dizzy and ended up laying on the kitchen floor...lesson learned. I'm staying on the clear liquids until Friday which will be day 8. It has been 6 days and I've lost 8 pounds. At least that's some encouragement to keep me going on broth, water and popsicles.

I don't know about the rest of you but I have come face to face with the reason for eating to much...boredom. I need to find other things to look forward to and get excited about than food.

I'm sure Beth now regrets my getting banded as I now watch everything SHE eats. I need to get out of Mom-Mode and let her make her own decisions about how to approach living with her band. She's had two years of experience and I have had 6 days, but you know how it is...Mom is always right.

Good luck to all of the November bandsters.

Heather - thank you for that information. I will stick to one or the other. I really would like to do the shake/lean cuisine diet because I know I would lose more weight but I love the induction phase of Atkins. lol

Bethsmom - wow! Great job on the 8 lbs. already. Awesome!

Okay, waaay too much information from LittleRoo about her mom. I may be old, but I'm still a fighter. I really haven't been hungry but definitely thinking about food too much. Last night was a bit tough. I took all of my meds and once and I guess they got stuck. The pain and nausea were so bad I got dizzy and ended up laying on the kitchen floor...lesson learned. I'm staying on the clear liquids until Friday which will be day 8. It has been 6 days and I've lost 8 pounds. At least that's some encouragement to keep me going on broth, water and popsicles.

I don't know about the rest of you but I have come face to face with the reason for eating to much...boredom. I need to find other things to look forward to and get excited about than food.

I'm sure Beth now regrets my getting banded as I now watch everything SHE eats. I need to get out of Mom-Mode and let her make her own decisions about how to approach living with her band. She's had two years of experience and I have had 6 days, but you know how it is...Mom is always right.

Good luck to all of the November bandsters.

Hi Beth's Mom,

8 pounds!!! That is amazing! You were so petite to begin with too! I can't wait to see pictures of you. I started full liquids yesterday but I am doing Weight Watchers too, even though it is sort of pointless on liquids since I can't possibly consume 22 - 24 points per day in liquids. I know I have lost 3 pounds since Friday (I got banded the same day as you) it maybe more but I am only allowed to weigh once a week.

Last night I struggled too with my hunger but I was able to control the urges by forcing myself to sit down in the living room and read my Women's Health magazine cover to cover. Talk about inspiration and motivation! I think I am going to make a habit of doing this when I get uncontrolable urges to eat what i shouldnt.

Our office is having a Thanksgiving Potluck at work today and I have NOOOOO restriction. heeeeeeelp! The turkey is coming to get me!!!

Littleroo27 (Beth) AKA: bethsmom's kid.

Our office is having a Thanksgiving Potluck at work today and I have NOOOOO restriction. heeeeeeelp! The turkey is coming to get me!!!

Hi Beth - do you have fiber tablets or pills, chromium(sp). I would suggest you take them, it will help you run from the turkey! LOL

We had our Thanksgiving meal yesterday. Ugh! I ate the pie.....even though it wasn't premium.....ate it anyway.....

How long do you have to wait for a check? A few weeks or a month?

Hi Beth,

I know exactly how you feel. We had pizza catered today to celebrate November birthdays. The way I handled it? I stayed at my desk and worked though lunch with a bottle of water with Benefiber drink mixed in. Every time I got a wiff of the pizza I took a sip of water. It sucks I know. I thought the pizzas were actually coming in yesterday instead of today so my stratagy then was to walk to Whole Foods during lunch and shop for soups and walk back so that is what I did yesterday :P

Hi Beth - do you have fiber tablets or pills, chromium(sp). I would suggest you take them, it will help you run from the turkey! LOL

We had our Thanksgiving meal yesterday. Ugh! I ate the pie.....even though it wasn't premium.....ate it anyway.....

How long do you have to wait for a check? A few weeks or a month?

I was completely unfilled last Friday so that my stomach can shrink back down to "normal." I really hope that happens!

The goal is to go back down in Mid-January (about 8 weeks later) and hopefully get a fill. It's really hard to keep my eating in check without any restriction... I mean, there is a REASON I had this surgery, you know? I've been more or less okay at home, cuz I don't want to eat in front of my mom anyway. She's still on liquids, so it would just be mean to eat in front of her all the time!

Work is... dependent upon the day. The more stressful days result in more chocolate being eaten. Obviously I still have food issues to work through. But as long as I can get back into the game and learn how to eat without slipping my band, I'll be happy as a clam.

Am wondering if anyone else will be at the Marriot Nov 23+24th?

Am wondering if anyone else will be at the Marriot Nov 23+24th?

Hi, Sorry I missed you... I guess I was tired. How did the fill go and your trip home? I am so ready to get home. I wished I knew that I could have left Wednesday. I just stayed out at the hotel. It was wonderful to have you with me on Monday and thank you for all your help :-h