Want to be banded but soooo scared to die!!

I really want the band, but I soooo cannot die! I have a 15 month old son that needs me! I know the band would be great and allow me have more energy for him once I lose some weight. Also, I will actually be in some pictures with him! Sadly enough, I have refused to be in any pictures with my son because I'm unrecognizably fat. I have always struggled with my weight - I can be thin I just have to work super hard at it. In fact, I was thin before I had my baby but now my body refuses to let me lose weight! And now that I have so much to lose, I feel so defeated already that I can't stick to my diets. I would like to lose about 80 pounds to get to my goal weight.

Anyway, all of you banded folks out there - how bad is it...really? Do you know someone that has died from the procedure...first hand, not the friend of a friend of a friend??

Hopefully, if I can muster up the nerve I will call OCC today and make my appointment for early November if possible...I just need some reassurance!!

Thanks!!!

I am sorry to hear about your fear. I have a son that was 18 months old when I had the surgery. I was more moved by the reality of what was in my future if I didn't get healthy!

If you have chosen Dr O and Dr M, then you should know they are the best in their field.

Personally, my only regret is not doing it sooner!

They have placed thousands of bands! They know what they are doing.

I really want the band, but I soooo cannot die! I have a 15 month old son that needs me! I know the band would be great and allow me have more energy for him once I lose some weight. Also, I will actually be in some pictures with him! Sadly enough, I have refused to be in any pictures with my son because I'm unrecognizably fat. I have always struggled with my weight - I can be thin I just have to work super hard at it. In fact, I was thin before I had my baby but now my body refuses to let me lose weight! And now that I have so much to lose, I feel so defeated already that I can't stick to my diets. I would like to lose about 80 pounds to get to my goal weight.

Anyway, all of you banded folks out there - how bad is it...really? Do you know someone that has died from the procedure...first hand, not the friend of a friend of a friend??

Hopefully, if I can muster up the nerve I will call OCC today and make my appointment for early November if possible...I just need some reassurance!!

Thanks!!!

I concur with the others who have posted. There's a risk with everything but the lap band surgery is one of the safest surgeries - in the right hands. Dr. O and Dr. M are great at it. I have two small kids and I'm hoping they won't remember me fat (just started the journey; still fat now!). Part of the reason I did it is for my kids, so they can have me around to harass them for a long time.

Margaret

I SO agree with Angie! I wished I would have done this sooner as well. I have always been heavy and could loose the weight, but would gain it all back + some. I was so sick of being sick about it that I chose to save me life! I had hit 262 pounds. I just kept getting larger and larger every year. I needed help and this was my help! You say you have a 15 month old son. I have a 14 year old son that has missed out SO much because I was not in the shape to do things with him. I was not able to live my life. I was a large girl that could not run and play with him in the yard, would not go to water parks, beaches or the lake, because I was ashamed of being fat!

You have the oportunity to change your life and give your son an amazing life, a healthy life, a life where you can do anything and not have to hide like I did....

Good Luck to you!

Carrie

To be completely honest, I actually asked the same question to my patient coordinator. She said they Have NEVER had a death. Also, I went to a local seminar at a hospital near me (in Atlanta) regarding the Lap-band, and they also said that deaths directly from the Lap-band are almost none. They said they have never had a case or heard of one. I left my twin two-year olds, and was afraid to death, but I was more worried about the flight than the actual procedure, once I had read about Dr. Ortiz! He is the best! :)

Unfortunately I do know of one person that died after having the procedure, but it had nothing to do with the lab band itself. He had blood clots in his legs that ended up moving about a week after he had the surgery. The clots may or may not have been a result of the surgery as that is an issue with any surgery you have as they can also be an issue with birth control pills and other things. He was also about 450 lbs. which I am guessing is a lot larger than you are and your ability to get up and move after surgery will be a huge benefit.

Not to be rude, but the facts are that when we are fat we are more unhealthy than normal which can lead to many health conditions. So, by remaining in your current state you are not doing yourself or your son any favors. No one is guaranteed tomorrow but each one of us expects that tomorrow will occur and we plan accordingly. Plan accordingly to run, jump and play with your son "tomorrow" and do what you need to do today to set yourself up for "tomorrow's" success.

From what I have heard some people die in childbirth, but that thought rarely prevents anyone from having children. Just something to think about.

wow!! y'all are good! and totally right about everything! smiley, i hadn't thought of it that way because i sure did have my baby and not think twice about dying in childbirth!! haha!

thank you all soooo much - i have sheduled my appointment and am scheduled for pre-op and surgery on wed, nov 4th!!

i'm really excited and i hope that my son won't remember me fat!! ;)

wow!! y'all are good! and totally right about everything! smiley, i hadn't thought of it that way because i sure did have my baby and not think twice about dying in childbirth!! haha!

thank you all soooo much - i have sheduled my appointment and am scheduled for pre-op and surgery on wed, nov 4th!!

Congratulations, it is normal to have fear. I went around "saying goodbye" to everyone close to me before surgery "just in case." LOL I was home before they even realized I had the surgery. :)

Yeah! Your son won't remember you fat, in fact some day he will look at a picture of you holding him when he was a baby and ask, "Mom, who is that holding me." It will so be worth it at that point.