Blood Clots and Surgery

Okay...I wrote asking about blood thinners on Sept 23....no reply. Has anyone out there had any problems with blood clots? I am scheduled for surgery on the 13th of October but had a Pulmanary Embolism back in April so my doctor has had me on blood thinner since. I was supposed to go off them at the end of this month only to find out that the blood test that I had came back as a positive for blood clots. I go to the hospital to see if I do indeed have any on Wednesday the 30th. My doctor here said that if I had them that i shouldn't have the surgery.

I contacted Dr. Jimenez (at OCC) and he told me if that they are just in my legs I should be okay for surgery but my husband is freaking out. I don't want to lose my deposit and I WANT THE SURGERY!!

Has anyone out there had any blood clotting problems that would reasure my husband that it will be okay if I just have them in my legs???

I don't have any experience with blood thinners or blood clots, but I don't think I would have the surgery right now if I were in your situation. Can you call the OCC and see what your options are for postponing the surgery as opposed to completely cancelling it. Hopefully they would be willing to apply your full deposit without you losing any of it if you just postpone instead of cancel.

Please keep us posted.

I don't have any experience with blood thinners or blood clots, but I don't think I would have the surgery right now if I were in your situation. Can you call the OCC and see what your options are for postponing the surgery as opposed to completely cancelling it. Hopefully they would be willing to apply your full deposit without you losing any of it if you just postpone instead of cancel.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks so much for your reply....I was beginning to feel that there was no-one out there that cared. I did call OCC and they told me that I could have the surgery as long as the clots were only in my legs but not in my lungs. We shall see on Wednesday. Thanks again.

Thanks so much for your reply....I was beginning to feel that there was no-one out there that cared. I did call OCC and they told me that I could have the surgery as long as the clots were only in my legs but not in my lungs. We shall see on Wednesday. Thanks again.

Hey jb!

Please don't think that a lack of a reply is directly related to anyone not caring--especially on this forum. There are many knowledgible folks on here, and this forum has many more super nice people who know alot about the band and the surgery process. I hope you are able to keep your surgery date. It sounds like our little Angie is the girl to talk to. :)

Have you had a chest xray or CT done to find out if you have any new PEs? When I had my surgery last November it was recommended to me by my hematologist to wait at least 6 weeks after going off warfarin before having any dental work or surgery done, so I decided to err on the side of caution and wait 8 weeks, once it was confirmed that I had no new DVT/PEs. As mentioned in another post, definitely consult with Dr. Ortiz on this. Maybe involve your doctor and Dr. Ortiz together if need be, if the opinions are differing that much?

The OCC was very good about accomodating my additional needs, compression stockings, those leg pump thingymabobs (I think that's the technical term for them :P ) blood thinners immediately following surgery and the next day and I was up and at 'em as soon as I woke up after surgery, but I had no active clots so I can't advise on that point. Good luck, I hope all goes well and you're able to have a successful and safe surgery. :D

I have had clots and a sever PE that put me in ICU. I would be happy to visit with you.

Call me tomorrow. You are not alone. I had a few extra shots after surgery.

402-345-1335 I have free long distance and will be happy to call you back.

Thanks for your support Angie...I really appreciate it. I had the testing done and as far as I know my legs are clear. I am just waiting to hear about the CT Scan. I see the doctor on the 7th. Wish me luck. I have a feeling that everything should be okay since I haven't heard anything...you know "no news is good news".

I plan on going off the blood thinners the week before surgery and then go straight back on them once surgery is done. I am getting really excited. Thanks again!