Protein After Goal

I have basically reached my goal but now I am finding that I am doing a horrible job of getting in 60 grams of protein each day. I am eating a wide variety of foods, maintaining a one cup serving and not gaining weight at all and drinking anywhere from 48 to 64+ ounces of liquid a day. I never really counted my protein prior to my lap band, but I seriously doubt I got 60 grams a day then. I do weigh every morning so I will know if I start gaining weight. How important do you all think it is to continue to get in 60 grams of protein if you are not actively trying to lose weight?

I have basically reached my goal but now I am finding that I am doing a horrible job of getting in 60 grams of protein each day. I am eating a wide variety of foods, maintaining a one cup serving and not gaining weight at all and drinking anywhere from 48 to 64+ ounces of liquid a day. I never really counted my protein prior to my lap band, but I seriously doubt I got 60 grams a day then. I do weigh every morning so I will know if I start gaining weight. How important do you all think it is to continue to get in 60 grams of protein if you are not actively trying to lose weight?

DIETING OR NOT, PROTEIN IS THE ONLY THING I WATCH. I JUST DON'T DO WELL WITHOUT IT

my protein levels during weight loss & maintenance have always been between 50-60g.

never lost hair & have kept a wide variety of diet......just depends on what works for you, you may have to play around - as i have found maintenance to be just as tricky as the weight loss stage.

i should mention i'm pretty active & carbs (good ones) are just as important to my diet.

I have a hard time eating most meats. What are some high protein band-friendly foods? I do yogurt and a latte almost every day. I like beans and tuna too. Any other ideas?

Sabrina:)

hi sabrina - here are a few items i keep in my fridge/freezer

greek yogurt

hummus/avocado dip w/veggies

eggs (egg salad)

fish

edamame

lentils

cottage cheese / cheeses

Another good one to add is refried beans. I do the low fat ones with some cheese shredded on top. Soo good!

I know I don't get as much as I should but I just get in as much as I can.

The Northwest Fill Center in Washington has a web page and on it there is a page with a list of high protein foods. How many grams of protein per serving. I printed it off and have it on my fridge for when I start eating.

Debbie

what is greek yogurt? I have seen it on the boards several times but have never seen it in any stores. I live in Canada so maybe we don't have it.

Where do you buy it? and what makes it so good

Debbie

RevyD - I see greek yogurt at Trader Joe's. Do you have that chain of stores where you are? Greek yogurt is thicker than we're used to. Lots of parents give it to their young kids who are learning to eat with a spoon because it sticks to the spoon really well.

Here is a link to one brand (not the one Trader Joe's carries). I'd be surprised if you can't find it in a large grocery chain.

http://www.stonyfield.com/OurProducts/GreekYogurt.cfm

what is greek yogurt? I have seen it on the boards several times but have never seen it in any stores. I live in Canada so maybe we don't have it.

Where do you buy it? and what makes it so good

Debbie

I buy Chobani Greek yogurt at Costco. It comes with fruit in it. This brand has 14 g of protein! Cals at 140.

If you have a Whole Foods or a store similar you will be able to find it.

Thanks for the tips on greek yogurt. We don't have Trader Joes here but we do have Costco so I will have a look.

I agree with you on the lobster Angie. Doesn't make you want to go out and have a lobster tail :)

The only way I keep from going insane is that I count NOTHING. Granted, I haven't lost weight as fast as I wish, but I am on the downswing consistently. The reason I got my band is so that I could quit dieting and counting and tracking. So my advice (and this is only what works for me) is make good choices as much as you can and enjoy life. If you start feeling bad or not gaining weight or losing unwanted weight, or losing your hair, etc...then scrutinize your diet. Otherwise, enjoy life!!!

• 2 weeks later...
The only way I keep from going insane is that I count NOTHING. The reason I got my band is so that I could quit dieting and counting and tracking. So my advice (and this is only what works for me) is make good choices as much as you can and enjoy life. If you start feeling bad or not gaining weight or losing unwanted weight, or losing your hair, etc...then scrutinize your diet. Otherwise, enjoy life!!!

I did count my protein and water while I was losing, but other than that your comments are pretty much what I choose to do as well. My goal is to live a normal life.