Grumble, Grumble

Went to a new lap-band doctor today and got my first fill in over a year (multiple reasons for this delay, none of which are related to the band itself). I had very little restriction, though I still ate at a slower pace, and avoided grilled chicken like the plague. The total quantity is more than it used to be (oops) and I felt hungry more often than when I had a good restriction level before.

So today I went to get a fill, FINALLY. They did it under x-ray, but NOT under fluero! He said there was no evidence that fleuro helped find the sweet spot faster, and it was more expensive. Okay, that makes sense, and he added .4ccs today and told me to come see him if it ended up being too much.

Um, more please? Now I'm getting nervous. I have 7.4ccs in a 10cc band, and my restriction has barely increased. I know that as little as a few tenths of a cc can make the difference, and I'm sure it's smart not to add a whole lot at one time, but seriously, I ate a whole baked potato at lunch. I ate a whole baked potato at lunch yesterday too, except today I didn't eat the skin... that's not much difference!!!

I'm just feeling the need to whine. I spent 2 hours in radiology and have almost nothing to show for it except for a bandaid. woooo hooooo...

Oh, I know how you feel.!!! I have 7.3 cc's in an 11 cc band, and I don't feel much restriction, and I am not losing weight-not for the last 10 weeks since I've been on food. I don't know how much more I can put in, and I feel like I'm never going to see the loss I was hoping for. any advice out there?

• 1 month later...

Grumble, Grumble,

I just read that you are at 7.4cc in a 10.cc band. That really caught my eye because I'm at 7.4cc in a 10cc band, and like you my weight loss has stopped and I'm hungry and eating to much. Your entry is dated 10/16/09. Please tell me how you are doing now. Did you get another fill? What did you do to get your weight loss going again? Please let me know ASAP. Shane: Albany, Oregon

Hi there, I also have about 7.5cc in a 10cc band and since my last fill of .3cc I have had total restriction, almost too much i would say. I am down to only soups, cant have solids honestly (unless i want it to sit in my pouch all-day) (and i dont lol).

I have to wait for some swelling to go down and i might be able to eat small portions not just soup but if i where you I would try to have another fill just a small one lime me .3cc and see how it goes. Also the lapband only does 50% of the work.. the other 50% comes from what is between your ears...

Good luck

Hi there, I also have about 7.5cc in a 10cc band and since my last fill of .3cc I have had total restriction, almost too much i would say. I am down to only soups, cant have solids honestly (unless i want it to sit in my pouch all-day) (and i dont lol).

I have to wait for some swelling to go down and i might be able to eat small portions not just soup but if i where you I would try to have another fill just a small one lime me .3cc and see how it goes. Also the lapband only does 50% of the work.. the other 50% comes from what is between your ears...

Good luck

It sounds like to me you need a slight amount taken out if you cannot have anything but liquids. Don't get me wrong, I like liquids just as much as the next guy and I can't imagine what it is going to be like when I am back on solids but either way I want the option to choose.

You might be too tight and need a slight unfill of say .5 to 1 cc? The original poster of this post, Beth was too tight and ended up stretching her pouch. I would hate for you to find yourself in the same situation.

Please be careful.

It sounds like to me you need a slight amount taken out if you cannot have anything but liquids. Don't get me wrong, I like liquids just as much as the next guy and I can't imagine what it is going to be like when I am back on solids but either way I want the option to choose.

You might be too tight and need a slight unfill of say .5 to 1 cc? The original poster of this post, Beth was too tight and ended up stretching her pouch. I would hate for you to find yourself in the same situation.

Please be careful.

Oh my god really, i didnt know that. Is she allright now? Oh sending Beth love xoxo

The dr said that i get a dramatic reaction to even teh smallest fill .. hyper something? He said I need to wait a week or so and if its not comfy with fluids then I may need a small amount out. I just had .3cc put in so maybe if he takes out .2cc could be the world of difference. Im willing to wait though for the week. Just one question it may sound dumb though.. can i stretch my pouch if im not eating anything? Only a bit of water etc? Thank you for your post it really had made me be careful now. xx WB

<!--quoteo(post=79426:date=Dec 3 2009, 06:32 AM:name=bogiesmom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bogiesmom @ Dec 3 2009, 06:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=79426"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It sounds like to me you need a slight amount taken out if you cannot have anything but liquids. Don't get me wrong, I like liquids just as much as the next guy and I can't imagine what it is going to be like when I am back on solids but either way I want the option to choose.

Please be careful.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh my god really, i didnt know that. Is she allright now? Oh sending Beth love xoxo

The dr said that i get a dramatic reaction to even teh smallest fill .. hyper something? He said I need to wait a week or so and if its not comfy with fluids then I may need a small amount out. I just had .3cc put in so maybe if he takes out .2cc could be the world of difference. Im willing to wait though for the week. Just one question it may sound dumb though.. can i stretch my pouch if im not eating anything? Only a bit of water etc? Thank you for your post it really had made me be careful now. xx WB

No you can't stretch it by not eating.

• 2 weeks later...

So sorry I didn't respond sooner, I've been off the site for a few weeks now, as my mom has been healing fairly well from her own lap-band surgery.

As was already posted (and thanks for that!), yes, I did end up finding out that I was too tight. In fact, Dr. Ortiz was AWESOME and had his fill guru look at my band for FREE while mom was in having her surgery. How cool is that?

He showed me how the top part of my stomach (above the band) was way too big. Thankfully, I have not slipped my band, but had I not found out about the stretched pouch, it could have happened. He unfilled my band completely so that it could heal and, hopefully, shrink back up. I'm trying to get an appointment to have my band checked out under x-ray soon so that I can see if it has improved enough to get a re-fill.

What I can tell you is that my jeans are a LOT tighter than they were a month ago. I honestly had forgotten how FAST I could eat (and how much). I feel hungry all the time, and want to eat ALL THE TIME. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my pouch has improved, but I know my eating habits have deteriorated. Hello Holiday Season with NO RESTRICTION... it's like a hell made out of holiday cookies.

To the other person who mentioned not being able to eat many solids - read my lips: YOU ARE TOO TIGHT!!! GET IT FIXED BEFORE YOUR BAND SLIPS! As much as I hate knowing that I'm gaining weight, at least I know that I can get my band re-filled soon and get back on track... if your band slips, you have a 25% chance of it happening again after surgical correction... so fix it before that happens.

Best to you all!

Beth

Grumble, Grumble,

I just read that you are at 7.4cc in a 10.cc band. That really caught my eye because I'm at 7.4cc in a 10cc band, and like you my weight loss has stopped and I'm hungry and eating to much. Your entry is dated 10/16/09. Please tell me how you are doing now. Did you get another fill? What did you do to get your weight loss going again? Please let me know ASAP. Shane: Albany, Oregon

Wow, I'm replying to my own post - is that egotistical?

I just had to whine a bit, I guess. Mom bought me a pair of "fat pants" yesterday to get me through until I can get re-filled, as my fill level is at ZERO right now, and my eating is... not good.

Weighed myself last night while trying on new fat pants... in 1 month and 5 days I've gained 22 lbs. *insert 4 letter words here*

I have an appointment scheduled with a lap-band clinic for January 6 to check my pouch and (hopefully) get filled again. Mom had her first fill yesterday and said they did a great job. She thought I'd be really happy with them.

Unlike the doctor who gave me a fill without fleuro (when I was likely already too tight), they do ALL of their fills under fleuro, then have you come back about a month later to see how everything is progressing.

It's going to be a long haul to get this weight back off, but it won't be the first time I've re-gained and re-lost. It's just soooo frustrating to see the numbers move back towards my surgery weight. All that work, and 2 years... for this???

Yes, this is why I got the lap-band, and why I love the lap-band... it's just so hard to feel like it's there, but it's not DOING anything... and I'm scared I'm going to get another fill and then stretch my pouch again because I don't know how to keep it from happening!

Limit you portions, I am far more sucessful when I plan and measure out my food portion.

I have containers that hold one cup of food. When the food is gone I am done. That way there is no fuss or worry. Would doing something like that fit in your life style?

So sorry I didn't respond sooner, I've been off the site for a few weeks now, as my mom has been healing fairly well from her own lap-band surgery.

As was already posted (and thanks for that!), yes, I did end up finding out that I was too tight. In fact, Dr. Ortiz was AWESOME and had his fill guru look at my band for FREE while mom was in having her surgery. How cool is that?

He showed me how the top part of my stomach (above the band) was way too big. Thankfully, I have not slipped my band, but had I not found out about the stretched pouch, it could have happened. He unfilled my band completely so that it could heal and, hopefully, shrink back up. I'm trying to get an appointment to have my band checked out under x-ray soon so that I can see if it has improved enough to get a re-fill.

What I can tell you is that my jeans are a LOT tighter than they were a month ago. I honestly had forgotten how FAST I could eat (and how much). I feel hungry all the time, and want to eat ALL THE TIME. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my pouch has improved, but I know my eating habits have deteriorated. Hello Holiday Season with NO RESTRICTION... it's like a hell made out of holiday cookies.

To the other person who mentioned not being able to eat many solids - read my lips: YOU ARE TOO TIGHT!!! GET IT FIXED BEFORE YOUR BAND SLIPS! As much as I hate knowing that I'm gaining weight, at least I know that I can get my band re-filled soon and get back on track... if your band slips, you have a 25% chance of it happening again after surgical correction... so fix it before that happens.

Best to you all!

Beth

• Like 1

It's certainly worth a try!

Limit you portions, I am far more sucessful when I plan and measure out my food portion.

I have containers that hold one cup of food. When the food is gone I am done. That way there is no fuss or worry. Would doing something like that fit in your life style?

Angie, this is great advice for everyone! I have these small bowls I got from Ikea for something like 65 cents a piece and the hold exactly 1 cup of food. I use them now for all my meals. Weight Wathers also suggests eating off of small plates so that you can fill up your plate and it looks like you are getting a lot of food. It is 1. a mind game and 2. an easy way to portion control without measuring. You can also buy these really cool measure serving spoons from a WW center (no membership required for purchase) that you can use to dish out the food onto your plate without worrying about getting out a measuring cup, scale, etc. At work we have (spelling?) Carafs in the kitchen and I have found that they too hold exactly one cup of food so for lunch I use the carafs.

how many butterscotch cookies can fit in a cup, do you think? LOL! God, I hate having no restriction!!!!

Mom PB'd for the first time last night. She was less than pleased by the experience, but I think she's happy to have some restriction!

Angie, this is great advice for everyone! I have these small bowls I got from Ikea for something like 65 cents a piece and the hold exactly 1 cup of food. I use them now for all my meals. Weight Wathers also suggests eating off of small plates so that you can fill up your plate and it looks like you are getting a lot of food. It is 1. a mind game and 2. an easy way to portion control without measuring. You can also buy these really cool measure serving spoons from a WW center (no membership required for purchase) that you can use to dish out the food onto your plate without worrying about getting out a measuring cup, scale, etc. At work we have (spelling?) Carafs in the kitchen and I have found that they too hold exactly one cup of food so for lunch I use the carafs.

how many butterscotch cookies can fit in a cup, do you think? LOL! God, I hate having no restriction!!!!

Mom PB'd for the first time last night. She was less than pleased by the experience, but I think she's happy to have some restriction!

Hahahaha! It is a good thing I have never tried a butterscoth cookie before ^_^

So glad to hear that your mom has good restriction! When did your mom get her fill? How many CC's did she get?

She got filled on the 18th at this clinic in the area that does ALL of their fills under fleuro. I have an appt there on the 6th of January. She got... I think 5.4 ccs.

Hahahaha! It is a good thing I have never tried a butterscoth cookie before ^_^

So glad to hear that your mom has good restriction! When did your mom get her fill? How many CC's did she get?