One slice banana bread, 4 weeks post op

magkai1

Hi there friends,

This post is especially directed towards the more veteran members. I am 4 weeks post op so I can eat but I have been pretty much following the band rules. About 10 minutes ago I ate a thin slice of whole wheat banana bread that I made for my family. OMG! Really suddenly, I felt like I had a stabbing pain in my esophagus and I felt like I was going to vomit. I could breathe fine but the pain/pressure made me think that I couldn't breathe and I had to calm myself down and remember to breathe. I did vomit up a little bit - one heave, not even large.

Two questions:

1. Did I PB?

2. Did my one vomit heave mess up the band?

This is weird! I haven't even had a fill yet!

Thanks,

Margaret

Even without a fill, the band gives you some restriction. I can't eat anything that texture (like cake) or it gets stuck. Sounds like you won't be able to either. It will be a blessing in disguise, but you may have to learn the hard way what will and won't work for you. I doubt you can slip your band that easily. If you could, all of us on here would have slipped bands.

I still try to "test" certain foods now and then (like sushi) and very quickly get that crushing pain and then stop eating it immediately....even spitting out what is still in my mouth. It hurts like hell. 24 hours of liquids is recommended after a bad stuck episode so you can let the swelling go down. Hope that helps.

Sabrina:)

Well, I have only pb'd twice but have gotten stuck a couple of times, but I agree with Sabrina, 24 hours of liquids will be helpful.

I cannot eat breads or cakes at all. I tried a piece of my daughters birthday cookie in July and I only had a very very small bite and I was in so much pain and then at my nieces birthday party last month, I took a two small bites of the cake and I was in tears from the pain from getting stuck. :shok: Not fun at all!

Does not agree with me or my band.

Yep, it really hurts which is why eating becomes a real pain instead of a real pleasure. It sucks that it has to be that way, I miss my favorite comfort foods, but I don't miss the pounds I packed on from them!

Sabrina:)

Well said. Another thing I like is the change for me has been a process. So it doesn't seem like holy cow, I can't eat these foods at all.

I am almost a year banded and can't eat anything like that. No donuts, muffins, cake, tortillas or bread. No matter how much I chew, it seems to form a plug in the stoma and I am either in unbelievable pain till it passed or it vomits up. Best to just avoid it all together!

I agree that is definitely a blessing in disguise! I can still eat cake for some reason. Can do bread if it is crunchy like garlic bread, but only in very small bites. I could eat bread until my 2nd fill then it was over.

Ok so I made it to my 21 days...and I just wanted a bite of french bread. That was at 10:30 this morning. Since I ate it, I have been having pain so bad in my chest it feels like someone is squeezing my lungs, esophagus, heart in a pair of vice grips. It hurts like hell. I tried to eat some fat free refried beans for dinner. That just upped the pain level. I haven't had any vomiting or even the urge to vomit. But, I have had LOTS of burping. I mean huge, rumbling, straight from downtown, man, burps with a lot of bass. I've had major issues with gas since surgery, but I would have to say the burping is a little bit worse right now. I'm seriously scared I did something to my band. I can't afford a slipped band. I would just have to have it removed and I would be out $7,000. Godddddddd whyyy?? Is this just food stuck?? Someone please help. :(

I can't go to a doctor. I don't have my first fill until November 11th (when I pay the remaining $600 for my first four fills and aftercare) and I don't think my aftercare doctor will even look at it until I pay the rest of the "program fee" which I can't pay until a week from now.

!@#$*^%&*%$##@@ ---That's a bunch of expletives that I am yelling at myself right now

Ok so I made it to my 21 days...and I just wanted a bite of french bread. That was at 10:30 this morning. Since I ate it, I have been having pain so bad in my chest it feels like someone is squeezing my lungs, esophagus, heart in a pair of vice grips. It hurts like hell. I tried to eat some fat free refried beans for dinner. That just upped the pain level. I haven't had any vomiting or even the urge to vomit. But, I have had LOTS of burping. I mean huge, rumbling, straight from downtown, man, burps with a lot of bass. I've had major issues with gas since surgery, but I would have to say the burping is a little bit worse right now. I'm seriously scared I did something to my band. I can't afford a slipped band. I would just have to have it removed and I would be out $7,000. Godddddddd whyyy?? Is this just food stuck?? Someone please help. :(

I can't go to a doctor. I don't have my first fill until November 11th (when I pay the remaining $600 for my first four fills and aftercare) and I don't think my aftercare doctor will even look at it until I pay the rest of the "program fee" which I can't pay until a week from now.

!@#$*^%&*%$##@@ ---That's a bunch of expletives that I am yelling at myself right now

Amber - I am not sure if it will work on bread, but I have heard great things about Papya enzimes. I hope I spelled that right....anyway, it would be worth a shot. I also would not eat anything else, only liquids until it passes. Baby yourself. Also this is my opinion, I don't believe you have slipped your band.

Hang in there.

Amber - I am not sure if it will work on bread, but I have heard great things about Papya enzimes. I hope I spelled that right....anyway, it would be worth a shot. I also would not eat anything else, only liquids until it passes. Baby yourself. Also this is my opinion, I don't believe you have slipped your band.

Hang in there.

I live off of Papaya Enzymes. For me, it helps me to spit up and for some others it helps digest and go down easier.

I can't say I'm glad someone else has gone through this, but I thought I would jump on the band wagon (bad pun) and see what others thought as well. Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely going back to liquids. Very little pain today but I'm not eating anything solid for a while. I will pick up some Papaya Enzymes in case this happens next time I try solid food. Thanks AngieB. I knew I liked you! :D

I can't say I'm glad someone else has gone through this, but I thought I would jump on the band wagon (bad pun) and see what others thought as well. Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely going back to liquids. Very little pain today but I'm not eating anything solid for a while. I will pick up some Papaya Enzymes in case this happens next time I try solid food. Thanks AngieB. I knew I liked you! :D

Ha ha! You put a smile on my face and gave me a chuckle. It's been a hard day so I am grateful to you!