Very Frustrated and not losing

Hi, I had the realize band on Mar 9, 2009. Started at 173 lbs down 20 lbs......have stayed at this plateau for months. I have had 6 fills and food gets stuck a lot....especially meats.......I am so upset thinking that the weight loss would be more.......I go on the treadmill about 3 times per week....I crave sweets, I eat my protein or use unjury to get in the 70 grams of protein that I was told to take.....any suggestions from anyone. I don't know anyone who has 6 band fills since April 2009. Pls reply. Thank you

Cherie

I think the bottom line is that you have to eat VERY little to lose weight with a band. That means, when you start to feel the signs of getting full (runny nose, hiccups etc) you need to stop (even if you've only had a few bites) or you will pb and that is not good. It is very hard for me to wrap my head around not finishing what is on my plate, and I'm not even convinced that eating so little is completely healthy so I will often keep trying to force more down (not because I'm hungry but because it is there) and when I do "over eat" (meaning more than a cup of food..hardly over eating as we used to know it) I don't lose weight.

When I truly listen to my body and only eat when I'm hungry, I lose. I try to keep my calories around 1000 per day. I don't do carbs and really watch my sugar intake. I don't always follow the rules, but I do most of the time, so I do lose weight "most of the time". I have years of bad habits I am trying to break and it is REALLY REALLY REALLY hard to adapt to this new lifestyle. The only other advice I have is trying a support group if there is one around.

You'll gain invaluable info and ideas to help you on your journey.

Sabrina:)

ps- I've had lots of fills and unfills too trying to figure out what works for me

Same here. I wasnt losing till my last fill and i was Pb'ing too. Now I'm not, and I started to watch my calories and eating 3 meals a day. I've only the last 2 months seen my wt start to go down. If I dont write down what I'm eating... I'll eat more than I'm burning without realizing it.

Good luck.

Laura

sounds like it's time to change things up.

Your body has adapted to it's routine.

Do you have access to weights & other forms of cardio?

Have you been keeping a food journal?

That's normally a perfect tell-tail way of figuring out what's really going on.

If you haven't been food tracking, i suggest you start a food journal - a great online site is Fitday.com - and it's free.

:)

I agree on the food journal and mixing things up. For many folks calorie restriction works for them, but my body is different. I quit losing for a long time and I tried eating more calories and it helped. If I stick to around 1,000 a day that is my "spot" - just like your band's spot you need to find the calorie intake spot that works for you.

Also, if I am reading it right you were not too big to begin with. I only have I think 10 lbs to go and it is going really slow for me. So I have had to work even harder to get these last lbs off.

Good luck! Keep your chin up I was in a plateau for almost 4 months but finally broke it. Thanks so life stress i'm losing now, but it isn't in a good way so i'm hoping to get back on track.

I think the bottom line is that you have to eat VERY little to lose weight with a band. That means, when you start to feel the signs of getting full (runny nose, hiccups etc) you need to stop (even if you've only had a few bites) or you will pb and that is not good. It is very hard for me to wrap my head around not finishing what is on my plate, and I'm not even convinced that eating so little is completely healthy so I will often keep trying to force more down (not because I'm hungry but because it is there) and when I do "over eat" (meaning more than a cup of food..hardly over eating as we used to know it) I don't lose weight.

When I truly listen to my body and only eat when I'm hungry, I lose. I try to keep my calories around 1000 per day. I don't do carbs and really watch my sugar intake. I don't always follow the rules, but I do most of the time, so I do lose weight "most of the time". I have years of bad habits I am trying to break and it is REALLY REALLY REALLY hard to adapt to this new lifestyle. The only other advice I have is trying a support group if there is one around.

ps- I've had lots of fills and unfills too trying to figure out what works for me

I was just banded on Oct 13th...everything went smooth. Dr. Ortiz even fixed my haeital hernia at no extra cost! I am now on day 13 and have not had any PBing or the stuck thing. But I also can eat and really do not feel restricted. I had some tuna mixed with lite mayo last night. Why is it important to wait the full 21 days before eating solids? Also, why do we need to wait an hour after eating to drink liquids? Thanks for any answers that come my way.

I was just banded on Oct 13th...everything went smooth. Dr. Ortiz even fixed my haeital hernia at no extra cost! I am now on day 13 and have not had any PBing or the stuck thing. But I also can eat and really do not feel restricted. I had some tuna mixed with lite mayo last night. Why is it important to wait the full 21 days before eating solids? Also, why do we need to wait an hour after eating to drink liquids? Thanks for any answers that come my way.

STAY ON YOUR LIQUIDS!!!

YOU SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN INSTRUCTIONS AT THE OCC IF NOT, EMAIL OR CALL THEM NOW!!!

WHY WOULD YOU RISK LOSING SOMETHING YOU JUST PAID YOUR HARD EARNED CASH FOR? YOU'RE HEALING FROM SURGERY!!!

STAY ON YOUR LIQUIDS!!!

Hi Jbarnes - I know it is a very difficult time, being a foodie staying on liquids is tough. We are asked to make the sacrafice to have our bands scar into place. That is what holds the band is scar tissue. Yes, I know you are thinking they stitch it, but what ultimatly keeps it in place for years is scar tissue. When you put food in your stoma it puts pressure on the band, any scarring will be tested and could break from the weigh of food setting in the pouch to early. Liquids pass through the band with ease, food gets caught up, even without restiction. Right now is a critical time for healing.

Now that being said, I had small cheats along the way. I am not proud to admit that, but it is the truth. Please do your best best best to get back to liquids. You and your band need it. Your band may not slip today, but if you do not give it time to heal and get good solid scarring you could be setting yourself up for a slip down the road.

Hang in there, I know it is tough cuz you feel great and have no pain. Don't continue to eat foods, go back to your liquids please....and pronto. It's for your health.

Hi, I had the realize band on Mar 9, 2009. Started at 173 lbs down 20 lbs......have stayed at this plateau for months. I have had 6 fills and food gets stuck a lot....especially meats.......I am so upset thinking that the weight loss would be more.......I go on the treadmill about 3 times per week....I crave sweets, I eat my protein or use unjury to get in the 70 grams of protein that I was told to take.....any suggestions from anyone. I don't know anyone who has 6 band fills since April 2009. Pls reply. Thank you

Cherie

Cherie,

I just got off a 5 week plateau that drove me CRAZY!! I agree with Sabrina and others as well. I do think you have to eat very little. I have totally cut out snacks and only eat three times a day. I think changing things up is a good idea as well. Keep that food journel and the truth of the matter is (for me anyway) you have to eat health, really watch and not eat the foods that got you heavy in the first place. I thought when i got my band I was going to be able to eat what I wanted just little portions, was I wrong, maybe this works for some, but not for me. I did email Dr. Miranda about my platuea and she stated with me getting down close to goal that Exercise was going to HAVE to be my best friend. She told me weights 3x per week and walk 5 miles 3 x per week. As far as the diet, well it is just that, a diet. Try liquid yogurt for breakfast, Lunch and Dinner 3 oz of white meat, baked or grilled with green veggies and a peice of fruit (apples, peachs were suggest from Dr Miranda) and drink green tea once a day. Another thing that I have had a time with is my water intake. I HATE water and this has always been a struggle for me. Try drinking lots of it.

I have also stopped weighing all the time, once a week for me now. I am trying to just live and not worry about this as it has always been something that has always consumed my life. It is our time to LIVE. 20lbs is GREAT!

Good Luck to you!

Carrie

Cherie,

I just got off a 5 week plateau that drove me CRAZY!! I agree with Sabrina and others as well. I do think you have to eat very little. I have totally cut out snacks and only eat three times a day. I think changing things up is a good idea as well. Keep that food journel and the truth of the matter is (for me anyway) you have to eat health, really watch and not eat the foods that got you heavy in the first place. I thought when i got my band I was going to be able to eat what I wanted just little portions, was I wrong, maybe this works for some, but not for me. I did email Dr. Miranda about my platuea and she stated with me getting down close to goal that Exercise was going to HAVE to be my best friend. She told me weights 3x per week and walk 5 miles 3 x per week. As far as the diet, well it is just that, a diet. Try liquid yogurt for breakfast, Lunch and Dinner 3 oz of white meat, baked or grilled with green veggies and a peice of fruit (apples, peachs were suggest from Dr Miranda) and drink green tea once a day. Another thing that I have had a time with is my water intake. I HATE water and this has always been a struggle for me. Try drinking lots of it.

I have also stopped weighing all the time, once a week for me now. I am trying to just live and not worry about this as it has always been something that has always consumed my life. It is our time to LIVE. 20lbs is GREAT!

Good Luck to you!

Carrie

Jbarnes I just read ur post and was shoked that you are eating solids already and asking why u shoud wait an hour before you drink after eating. I was banded on the 23rd and when I was at the OCC those are the things that Dr Miranda and also Dr. Ortiz stressed to me. Before I had the surgery I read the post on this forum and everyone also cautioned that those two things are eating no nos I know its hard I slipped up and had a tiny piece of salmon yesterday, the size of a quarter, and I was sooo scared that I might have stretches my pouch or made my band slip. Ok so what's the point of me writing all this......YOU HAVE TO MAKE A LIFESTYLE CHANGE Its gonnna be really hard but you can not eaat the way you used to you have to change ur old habits or else what was the point oh having this drastic surgery. You don't want to be one of those people who post on here that they haven't lost any weight.....do you?