Just Banded on 10/23

I was banded on Friday, October 23rd. My surgery went very smoothly and I am really looking forward to the next 21 days. I am hoping that other "newbies" out there join up so that we can form a support group of sorts. I would also really appreciate any advice from those of you who have been through this before. Peace

Congratulations and welcome to bandland. Just stick to the quidelines that you were given and you will do fine.

Keep us posted on your progress and always feel free to ask questions. This is an amazing forum and we all help each other out and support one another.

Debbie

Thanks for all of the positive support! I am interested to see how much weight I will lose during the 21 days... I figured that right now, on the clears only, I am only consuming under 300 calories per day! I imagine that continuing this for 7 days will tap into some of my fat reserves.

You and I have the same bandiversary just one year apart - yea!!!

The 21 days is tough, but totally doable. It goes by a lot quicker than you think. Just get lots of liquids in and make sure you are getting nutrients however you can.

Very excited for you and can't wait to hear about your progress!

Hi, I would like to join this group that you started since I am scheduled for banding on 11/13/09.

I was wodering if anyone had suggestions on what are some good "clear liquid" products and what are some good non-clear products to buy for the first 21 days???? :blink:

I would like to start forming my list now so I can shop a few days before sugery so I am not overwheld afterwords. ;)

Please think of anything and everything. I did buy some Slim Fast shakes in Vanilla & Strawberry. I HATE chocolate and it is very hard to find non-chocolate protein shakes. I do not like to cook so I realy do not want to make my own. That will be too much trouble for me since I work full time.

Thanks in advance

Congrats, Auggie!

I had my surgery about one month ago. I HATED the clear liquid phase. I felt sick and weak on it. Dr. Miranda advanced me to drinkable yogurt a few days early and from then on I was happy. It's too bad you don't like chocolate. Perhaps you can get protein powder in vanilla flavor?

Congrats, Auggie!

I had my surgery about one month ago. I HATED the clear liquid phase. I felt sick and weak on it. Dr. Miranda advanced me to drinkable yogurt a few days early and from then on I was happy. It's too bad you don't like chocolate. Perhaps you can get protein powder in vanilla flavor?

So what did you use for "clear" liquids? The protein powder sounds like I will have to do something with it in the kitchen and I am not really wanting to mix, stir or blend unless it is a Martini :wub: Which brings up the subject of Vodka being a clear liquid? I would think that it also serves as a great pain killer too ^_^ No seriously, is a glass of white wine considered a "clear liquid"? I am thinking I could also use it as a night cap to avoid hunger pains since a glass usually makes me pass out.

I guess I am just confussed about this whole clear liquids deal and I am trying to figure out what to buy when I go to the grocercy store. I am assuming clear means anything transparent but who knows?

You're right: clear means you can see through it. White wine is a clear liquid, just monitor the calories. All juices without pulp, electrolyte drinks like Gatorade, vitamin water, water, Not a whole lot of variety!

Thank you Margaret, I will shop for juices, broths, flavored water and wine. I should really check out health food stores in my area as well. I heard of a seaweed product that people drink when they are fasting, there are probably similar products on the market for people who fast but need nutrition.

Congrats on your upcoming surgery! My advice is to take as much time as you can to look through old posts. That is what I did and by the time I got to surgery I was ready to go!

In terms of clear liquids, I did kellogs special K water, gatorade, and I drained soups and drank the broth. They said to do the Weyler's beef and chicken stock, but I seriously couldn't stomach it they were so gross! So I took chicken noodle soup and drained it really good. Honestly I was not hardly hungry during the first 7 days, so I just slept and walked a lot and did OK. Once you get through that and can get to creamy soups it is a lot better. If I remember right there is a recipe list around here somewhere for soups - take advantage of that or you will get really bored.

I wasn't given any specific directions in regards to alcohol, but I just decided to not do it until I was back on solids. After being banded your tolerance will be shot, and since you are so restricted on liquids it will be even worse, so I would really avoid alcohol.

Again, the thing that helped me best is I spent seriously hours reading back months and months into posts and I also got a notebook and took notes on certain things. There are threads in here about food, what to take with you, etc...so make sure and read up.

Good luck!

Crystal light is amazing! Only 5 calories per packet and no sugar. I mixed two packets in an evian bottle and really enjoy the intense flavor. I have found that chewing gum also really helps with the psychological need to chew. I chew a piece of gum for about 15 minutes before my family sits down for dinner. I continue chewing the gum while sipping my beef flavored broth -I can almost convince myself that I am eating a steak! Drinking a lot of fluids is really helping me feel full. I am really looking forward to Friday when I can start the liquid yogurt! I feel a little weak at times, but hey, I have only been taking in less than 300 calories a day... The good news is that I am really noticing some changes in my body already- my weight is dropping and my clothes are getting loose.

So I have a question regarding the creamy soups stage: Are we supposed to be eating the soup during meal times only (three times a day) or are we allowed to have it more often? One other question: Is it possible to stretch out my new stomach pouch (above the band) by drinking my clears too quickly? I had my band put in last Friday and for a few days I was really tight -when I drank warm liquids I could actually feel the liquid draining through the band and into my stomach -so it was easy to monitor my fluid intake in regards to my newly adjusted stomach capacity. I think the swelling has decreased in my stomach now and I don't feel the tightness and I can't really tell if I am full or not when I drink my clears. I want to make sure that I am keeping hydrated... but I don't want to over do things.

Thank you Jhawkchick. I love, love, love your idea about taking notes!

That definately appeals to my sense of obsesiveness and compulsity of making things into "projects." So now I am going to buy a journal/notebook and tab sections out with flags and color code every topic. I also need to start writing down questions to ask the doctors so I do not waste precious pre-op, face to face time when I have the oppertunity to ask anything and everything I want (my first question will concern the glass of wine at night). So this little "project" kills 2 birds.

Aussie, I had a good laugh about the gum & soup comment :lol: That is like the girl from Charlie And The Chocolate Factory who became a blueberry. I am not sure about that but i have to admit it does seem clever of you and maybe out of desperation I will be willing to try just about anything.

What about pills to control hunger? Do you do those during the first 21? If so, crushed or whole and which ones do you recommend?

That definately appeals to my sense of obsesiveness and compulsity of making things into "projects." So now I am going to buy a journal/notebook and tab sections out with flags and color code every topic. I also need to start writing down questions to ask the doctors so I do not waste precious pre-op, face to face time when I have the oppertunity to ask anything and everything I want (my first question will concern the glass of wine at night). So this little "project" kills 2 birds.

Aussie, I had a good laugh about the gum & soup comment :lol: That is like the girl from Charlie And The Chocolate Factory who became a blueberry. I am not sure about that but i have to admit it does seem clever of you and maybe out of desperation I will be willing to try just about anything.

What about pills to control hunger? Do you do those during the first 21? If so, crushed or whole and which ones do you recommend?

Auggiewe were banded the same day, I wonder if I saw you at theOCC, I'm gglad ur doing good. I started the drinkable yougert yesterday but I'm still hungry and gassy and bloated, do you feel this way. - havelost afewpounds but have a lot of discomfort. Keep up the good work. -Odette

Auggiewe were banded the same day, I wonder if I saw you at theOCC, I'm gglad ur doing good. I started the drinkable yougert yesterday but I'm still hungry and gassy and bloated, do you feel this way. - havelost afewpounds but have a lot of discomfort. Keep up the good work. -Odette

Hi Odette,

I also had really bad gas for the first couple of days after the surgery... but then it went away and I feel great now. I have absolutely no hunger and am still doing just the clears... I am going to try and hold off on the yogurt until Friday (7 days post op). I am losing weight very quickly... but that might be because I am a guy. I find that hot tea really soothes my stomach and I am also drinking a lot of crystal light. Although I don't feel hungry, my big struggle is all of the psychological stuff that really messed with my weight in the past -I really have a lot of emotional connections to eating routines and I am really hoping that 21 days of liquids breaks those connections. I am amazed that I have lost 13 pounds so far! But I am not really all that surprised because I am only taking in less than 300 calories a day... I am not all that worried about the low number of calories, I have plenty of fat stores to burn. My only complaint is that I am still a bit tender where the port was placed... it is still a little swollen and bruised, but it seems to be getting better each day. Good luck and stay in touch!

Best, Eric

So I have a question regarding the creamy soups stage: Are we supposed to be eating the soup during meal times only (three times a day) or are we allowed to have it more often? One other question: Is it possible to stretch out my new stomach pouch (above the band) by drinking my clears too quickly? I had my band put in last Friday and for a few days I was really tight -when I drank warm liquids I could actually feel the liquid draining through the band and into my stomach -so it was easy to monitor my fluid intake in regards to my newly adjusted stomach capacity. I think the swelling has decreased in my stomach now and I don't feel the tightness and I can't really tell if I am full or not when I drink my clears. I want to make sure that I am keeping hydrated... but I don't want to over do things.

I was told to do about 1 cup at a time on the creamy soups. I highly doubt you can stretch your pouch without a fill, but I wouldn't push your luck b/c it might be possible. Just make sure you are sipping and you should be fine. If you feel full and/or get that hiccup just stop.

Yeah, that really helped me out and made me feel prepared for the trip. Once I got there I was not nervous at all.

Actually, I was able to get it done a day early and was super excited. I was like OK, lets DO THIS!!!

In terms of hunger you can do the benefiber or fiber choice which comes in powder form and just put it in your liquids. Then, once I got past the liquid stage I went to the fiber choice chewables. The strawberry ones are really good. Take those around 10am and again at 3pm it helps a lot.

Any other questions just ask!! :)

Yeah!!! I have just one more day of clears only! After Thursday I get to add the drinkable yogurt. So here is a question for you seasoned folks: I had really bad gas for two days after I was banded; after the two days things calmed down and I feel great now. Can I expect my stomach to go haywire once I start drinking the cream soups and protien shakes?

Thanks!

Hi Odette,

I also had really bad gas for the first couple of days after the surgery... but then it went away and I feel great now. I have absolutely no hunger and am still doing just the clears... I am going to try and hold off on the yogurt until Friday (7 days post op). I am losing weight very quickly... but that might be because I am a guy. I find that hot tea really soothes my stomach and I am also drinking a lot of crystal light. Although I don't feel hungry, my big struggle is all of the psychological stuff that really messed with my weight in the past -I really have a lot of emotional connections to eating routines and I am really hoping that 21 days of liquids breaks those connections. I am amazed that I have lost 13 pounds so far! But I am not really all that surprised because I am only taking in less than 300 calories a day... I am not all that worried about the low number of calories, I have plenty of fat stores to burn. My only complaint is that I am still a bit tender where the port was placed... it is still a little swollen and bruised, but it seems to be getting better each day. Good luck and stay in touch!

Best, Eric

Hey Eric, I'm having the same problem with my port site. I'ts very tender and bruised. It really hurts when I laugh, maybe I shouldn't laugh, lol....ow. I got really hungry and I started the drinkable yogurt on the forth day post op, I started the protein shakes on the 6th day, and I plan to start the creamy soups tomorrow. I haven't lost that much weight, but I figure as long as I'm sticking with it and not eating solids I'll be fine.

Hey Eric, I'm having the same problem with my port site. I'ts very tender and bruised. It really hurts when I laugh, maybe I shouldn't laugh, lol....ow. I got really hungry and I started the drinkable yogurt on the forth day post op, I started the protein shakes on the 6th day, and I plan to start the creamy soups tomorrow. I haven't lost that much weight, but I figure as long as I'm sticking with it and not eating solids I'll be fine.

Hey Odette,

My port site looks like there is a lemon sewn under the skin! I really hope the swelling goes down -it looks like I have a tumor on the left side of my abdomen. I know what you mean about the port hurting when you laugh -same with me! It also hurts sometimes if I move too quickly or bend over too quickly... last night I was laying down reading and my cat jumped up on my stomach... I had to peel myself off of the ceiling because he landed right on my port. How much yogurt did you drink on the first day? Did that weak feeling go away once you started the yogurt and protein shakes? I found these great protein shakes at Costco -they are premixed individual servings that have 30 grams of protein, 1 gram of sugar, low in calories and they actually taste good! I am planning on drinking one or two a day for the remainder of the 21 days.

Hey Odette,

My port site looks like there is a lemon sewn under the skin! I really hope the swelling goes down -it looks like I have a tumor on the left side of my abdomen. I know what you mean about the port hurting when you laugh -same with me! It also hurts sometimes if I move too quickly or bend over too quickly... last night I was laying down reading and my cat jumped up on my stomach... I had to peel myself off of the ceiling because he landed right on my port. How much yogurt did you drink on the first day? Did that weak feeling go away once you started the yogurt and protein shakes? I found these great protein shakes at Costco -they are premixed individual servings that have 30 grams of protein, 1 gram of sugar, low in calories and they actually taste good! I am planning on drinking one or two a day for the remainder of the 21 days.

Auggie I bought two four packs of these dannon drinkable yogurt's, they were about70 cal/per container. They were great. If I remember correctly I had one of the four packs on the first day. Yeah I know that's bad but they did really help with hunger and weakness. I strained them because they had small pieces of fruit in them. I tried the cramy soups today and I'm not a fan. I guess I will have to keep drinking the broth. I only had those two packages of yogurt by the way. After they were finished I never went back to buy any more. You seem to be doing great by the way keep up the good work. - Odette

For those of you coming off of the strictly clear phase - I have found a good drinkable yogurt: DanActive Light - one serving has only 35 calories and zero fat. It is flavored with fruit juices and doesn't need to be strained. It also tastes pretty good!

Everyone is different, but I had gas for the first three weeks or so, so it sounds like you are doing much better! Once I started solids it wasn't too different, but I did quit losing weight. So don't be surprised if that happens. Many folks gain some weight back during that time. Just follow the rules and try to survive until you have a couple of fills under your belt.

In terms of creamy soups I am not a fan of most of them, but one I really like is the creamy tomato bisque - both healthy choice and campbells have it and I pretty much lived off that. Also, somewhere on this site is a whole thread of soup recipes. I am not a good cook so I never tried them, but they sure sounded good! :)