Running Rant

So, I recently joined this yahoo group where people post about running in the city I live in. Recently someone decided to go on a rant about how "real" runners shouldn't be able to be in marathons and other races because they get in his way and they don't deserve to say they did it if they can't finish it in a certain time. I had never posted on there, but felt I needed to and I thought i'd share it with you all.

Also, here is a link that someone posted that really hit home for me and was inspirational. I think no matter what our goals are they are valid and no matter what we are successful! Hopefully what I wrote made sense....I am very sleep deprived and emotional these days!!

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/story/1524835.html#at

My response:

Thank you SO much for posting this article! I was not going to chime into these conversations but I wanted to thank you for posting this. I joined this group recently hoping to get advice and learn about events as I am new to running. I am by no means a pro - I began running as to give me a new challenge in my weight loss efforts.

In the past year I have lost over 65 lbs and did my first race on my 34th birthday, the Zoo Run in September. Knowing I was not going to be competitive (and did not start this endeavor with the intentions of being) I placed myself towards the back of the pack. As I began to run there were quite a few people ahead of me that were slower and many walking, but I simply just went around them and silently applauded them for their efforts. As I was completing my first mile I could hear the announcer saying the first runner had crossed the finish line. I remember thinking, wow great for them I will never finish a race in that time, but it did not for a second bring me down. I am so proud of my accomplishment and will continue to do races as long as my old knees hold up.

Everyone does races for a different reason: healthy living, competition, or heck, might just be to support the cause the run is benefiting because it hits home to them. But regardless of their reason they deserve to be there just as much as the next person. Many of you are probably blessed with an athletic body and natural running ability - my brother is the same way. He was impressed by me running and decided to start back up. He ran track and cross country in high school. He came home after that first run and said he "only" did 4 miles. Yeah, he got a dirty look from me but i'm glad he's started again and I was able to motivate him to do that. Well, unfortunately I got the other side of the family genes. But my sad little 5'2 body trotted along anyway.

The elitist attitude of some is saddening to me, but I hope that the rest of you will be supportive and encouraging of those that are running that might not be as competitive. In my opinion that does not make them less successful. Sure, I hope to continue to improve my time, but never will I be the first across the finish line and I am just fine with that. I am so proud of my accomplishments and I hope to be a positive role model for my niece as she is the reason I began this weight loss journey.

I'll be doing two 5ks in November and then I am going to train for a 5 mile race in St. Louis around St. Pats Day. To all of you regardless of your reasons I wish you the best and hope you achieve your goals. All I ask is when you see someone that might not be up to your abilities, please don't mock them or be annoyed by them. Understand everyone has their reasons and applaud them for that.

For those that made it this far thanks for reading. :)

Shelby

Finished the Zoo Run in under 50 minutes and darn proud!!

Shelby,

First of all, :lb13: ,

I think you are so inspiring, and your response to the jerk, is AWESOME!!! :good3:

Keep up the good work!!! :)

I am not a runner due to bad knees and don't forsee any future in attempting a marathon, but I applaud you and anyone else that can and does.

(However, if my knees would hold up, I would too.) I have always wanted to do the breast cancer awareness walk.... So I support my friends that do..

Hugs,

Kristi

P.S. I just realized we are the same height.

You are very classy to reply respectfully. Everyone has the right to speak there minds. It's a shame that by doing so, they show there true nature. It takes all kinds to make the world go around. I personally like to surround myself with people such as you. Who are postive and have a great outlook on life! Very cool! Keep up the great work.

Shelby - I am sorry to hear that stress has taken it's toll on your band. I hope you loosen up soon. I will pray for you and your family.

Shelby,

First of all, :lb13: ,

I think you are so inspiring, and your response to the jerk, is AWESOME!!! :good3:

Keep up the good work!!! :)

I am not a runner due to bad knees and don't forsee any future in attempting a marathon, but I applaud you and anyone else that can and does.

(However, if my knees would hold up, I would too.) I have always wanted to do the breast cancer awareness walk.... So I support my friends that do..

Hugs,

Kristi

P.S. I just realized we are the same height.

VERTICALLY CHALLENGED PEOPLE UNITE!!!!!!! :D

You are very classy to reply respectfully. Everyone has the right to speak there minds. It's a shame that by doing so, they show there true nature. It takes all kinds to make the world go around. I personally like to surround myself with people such as you. Who are postive and have a great outlook on life! Very cool! Keep up the great work.

Shelby - I am sorry to hear that stress has taken it's toll on your band. I hope you loosen up soon. I will pray for you and your family.

Thanks so much! They got my brother to sit up today which was good, but it hurt so bad that his heart rate went through the roof and they had to put him back down immediately. I was able to get down about 5 bites of refried beans last night and a couple bites of cheese enchilada so that was good. I also had some crab cake and cottage cheese for lunch so if I'm really careful I can get stuff down. He's just in so much pain I feel so bad for him. But he's alive that is what matters.

Thanks everyone!!! I usually just let ignorant comments roll off my back, but that one just set me off. Everyone has their own goals and who is anyone to say that they shouldn't be able to work towards them. Those folks need to remember that they didn't wake up one day and say...hey, I think i'll run 5, 10, or however many miles that day. They had to work up to it also and I think they forget that. That is why when I see someone overweight at the gym or in Zumba, I get so proud for them and am so glad that they are taking that next step to get healthy. Kudos to them!