HOTELS...WHICH ONE TO SELECT?

OK, I feel a bit silly for asking the group's opinion on this, BUT, I am hoping to gather some opinions on the three different hotels we have to select from (my surgery date is 12/29/09). I found out that the Marriott only has 3 English speaking news TV channels and I feel bad subjecting my mom to that for 3 days, since she is being nice enough to accompany me. Has anyone stayed at Camino Real? Their website makes the hotel look fabulous! If anyone can share their experience w/ me (especially regarding English/American TV channels!), that would be great. Melissa at OCC said that Camino Real is the closest to the center, so that also seems very convenient. Thanks!

-Nervous Nellie (aka Angie in San Diego!) :o

I stayed at The Marriot I really liked it the beds are super comfy the rooms are nice the staff is great 24 hour room service and as an OCC patient you get free food from a selected menu which you can have taken up to your room, super nice i passed by Camino Real the outside is kinda questionable but i dont know what the inside is like, the hotel itself is near a super busy shopping center which might be a plus for your mother i think it was too busy for my taste but the marriot was more in a quiet area i really liked the marriot : )hope this helps

I stayed at the Marriott and it was wonderful. Nice restaurant. Business center with computers, gymn. There were chanels with movies etc on them because I watched alot of tv there while recoveing.

Very clean, great staff.

I stayed at the camino real... it's a nice hotel... the rooms are comfortable, clean, and the staff is great. We didn't have a choice when I went... I probably would have stayed at the Mariott if I had been given a choice, but all the hotels know that the lapband guests need special things, and they're willing to accomodate.

don't worry about your mom-- she's probably going to be taking care of you the whole time, and when she isn't, there is a pool at each of the hotels, and some small shopping areas within walking distance.

I was exhausted the first day, but they want you to do all this walking, etc, so you're mom will likely be making sure you're doing all that.

good luck with your surgery!

Hi! I am actually at the Lucerna and it is wonderful! The people are all very friendly and accomodating! It is beautiful, has two restaurants, 24hr room service, free broths for you, and there is at least 10-15 channels that are english on the tv. It is just a mile or so from the clinic! Also free wifi and a business center with computers. I would definitely reccomend it!

Thank YOU for taking the time to reply, especially since you're there right now, obviously either having a fill or recovering from the surgery. Hope that you are doing really well and are looking fwd to this journey. See you in the Size 6 section in 2010 :-)

Thank YOU for taking the time to reply, especially since you're there right now, obviously either having a fill or recovering from the surgery. Hope that you are doing really well and are looking fwd to this journey. See you in the Size 6 section in 2010 :-)

DO NOT GO TO THE CAMINO REAL, I stayed there didn't like it at all, it is the closest, like 5 minutes away. Most of the staff do not speak english. The service isnot that great either. I wouldn't recommend it. I tried to order broth, they brought me chicken soup instead. I just didn't like it.

I've only stayed at the Lucerna but I had a great experience there. Only a few English speaking stations but I enjoyed watching Notre Dame football in Spanish and thanks to wifi I was just fine. Had everything we could eat ready to go and you could get massages there.

I'm at the Lucerna right now. My momma is sleeping off her surgery at the clinic at the mo. I've never stayed at a place where the staff was so solicitous. It's amazing - my bag has almost never touched my hand! the second I walked into the hotel from the clinic today, someone took it from me and walked me to my room.

I'm on the wifi connection in my room right now, which works fairly well. not as fast as a direct connection, but good enough. the hotel is lovely, and they have 2 restaurants, though one is currently having floors redone. had dinner at the other one last night and it was quite nice. most of the lobby staff speak at least some english, though I felt like a tool when I called room service. I can pronounce spanish, but I can't really understand it, so that was fun! in the end, I got the right food, and it was terrific. Besides, if you're coming down for surgery, food isn't your primary goal anyway!

The beds are on the hard side. up to you if that's a good or bad thing.

most of the tv stations are in spanish, but I did get to watch the new Bones last night on Fox San Diego. I think there are maybe 5 stations in English, including CNN, Fox, and a movie station. Right now I'm watching "High School Musical" in spanish. Yup, I'm bored! At least the music is still in English, lol.

I do need to warn you that the noise level can be... obnoxious. last night was FINE, but now it's Friday night and the hotel is right off of a major street with a disco. there are cars driving by with loud music, and the pulsing beat from the club. Perhaps ask them to reserve a room Pool-Side (which is GORGEOUS) rather than street-facing. Cuz, loud. And I don't even know what the guy with the microphone is saying cuz it's in spanish, and I fail at spanish. Seriously, I almost failed college because I couldn't pass the spanish classes.

I'm babbling now. Alone in a hotel room with spanish TV and the internet for the evening. Weeeeeee!

I had Surgery on 11/13/09 and stayed at the Mariott and here are things to consider:

1. Service was excellent and worthy of the Mariott name.

2. The beds are as hard as bricks but the pillows are super soft.

3. The Mariott is far away from the OCC - about 5 miles away at least.

4. I had hot water in my room but my mother did not have hot water in hers

5. The Mariott has an outdoor deck and patio and Rene from OCC told me that Camino Real and Lucerna did not.

6. The food in the dining room was just "Okay" and nothing to write hoem about. Did'nt bother with room service after that.

7. Asked for a wake up call but did not receive one (sort of knew would happen so set the alarm as backup).

8. Clock in room maybe wrong so double check with time on your cell phone. If it is off by a few minutes the shuttle from the Mariott to the OCC will leave without you.

9. Rene told me that the most sophisticated out of the 3 was Camino Real and it was comprable to the W here in the US. I chose the Mariott becuase the outdoor patio/deck/lounge area was the deciding factor for me.

I stayed at the Lucerna, as I mentioned above, but thought I'd add a link to the slideshow of pics I took. the first half are all of the Lucerna (pretty!). I admit, I didn't take any of the hotel room, which is just your standard room with a balcony. 2 beds, tv, dresser, bathroom, etc. Nothing fancy, but very clean.

http://s394.photobucket.com/albums/pp23/li...mview=slideshow

I stayed at the Lucerna, as I mentioned above, but thought I'd add a link to the slideshow of pics I took. the first half are all of the Lucerna (pretty!). I admit, I didn't take any of the hotel room, which is just your standard room with a balcony. 2 beds, tv, dresser, bathroom, etc. Nothing fancy, but very clean.

http://s394.photobucket.com/albums/pp23/li...mview=slideshow

How nice of you to share your fabulous photos with us! Thank you!!! The hotel does look very lovely :-)

Hope that all is well with your family member that had the procedure done, is doing GREAT.

:)