Newbie here, with a few different questions

Hi, I'm new to this site but have been on the road to lap banding for a little over a year now. I just yesterday was approved and have a surgery date for Dec 7th which is much sooner than expected. So now that my nerves have kicked in I have a few questions that I was hoping maybe some of you could answer or help with?

My first one is, did you get nervous and if so how did you deal with it? My doc says for at least a few days before surgery I shouldnt take my meds for it because of something thats in them.

Next question is, where you put on a liquid diet the week before? They're not having me do that, but part of me thinks maybe I should to prepare more?

My last one is probably completely ridiculous but, my self conciousness is getting to me so I have to ask: What did they let you wear for the surgery itself? Will I be able to keep my bra/underwear on or am I going to go bare with a gown? Sorry its an odd question but even though he is a professional, I cant help but feel awkward about someone seeing me totally bare lol.

Thanks to anyone who reads this or answers, I appreciate it ^_^

(Also, I dont know if it matters but I'm a 19 year old female and Ive never been in surgery before)

Hi, I'm new to this site but have been on the road to lap banding for a little over a year now. I just yesterday was approved and have a surgery date for Dec 7th which is much sooner than expected. So now that my nerves have kicked in I have a few questions that I was hoping maybe some of you could answer or help with?

My first one is, did you get nervous and if so how did you deal with it? My doc says for at least a few days before surgery I shouldnt take my meds for it because of something thats in them.

Next question is, where you put on a liquid diet the week before? They're not having me do that, but part of me thinks maybe I should to prepare more?

My last one is probably completely ridiculous but, my self conciousness is getting to me so I have to ask: What did they let you wear for the surgery itself? Will I be able to keep my bra/underwear on or am I going to go bare with a gown? Sorry its an odd question but even though he is a professional, I cant help but feel awkward about someone seeing me totally bare lol.

Thanks to anyone who reads this or answers, I appreciate it ^_^

(Also, I dont know if it matters but I'm a 19 year old female and Ive never been in surgery before)

I wasn't as nervous as I was super excited before. I dealt with it by reading this forum and a few others. :)

My diet before consisted of salad and water!! LOL I know it seems like so little but I really wanted to make sure all of the weight was off in time. Just drink plenty of water. I tried veggie broth but all of the sodium made me retain water weight.

The surgery you get to wear the famous paper gown and PAPER UNDERWEAR!! The underwear are really lame but who cares. They also put some stalkings on your legs to prevent blood clots. No bra or other undies!

Congrats on getting the date!

One thing that is important to note, this is a forum for patients of Dr Ortiz.

Many doctors have different guidelines - based on how you addressed your question I wasn't sure if you were a patient of Dr Ortiz- and if not- please remember you could get the guidelines from us that we received from him, than what you would receive from your own doctor.

It’s great for you to join our forum - we're happy to have you, but make sure you're listening and following your own doctors orders, people can get really confused if they are getting feedback that is different and it’s bound to happen if you have different doctors. Plus how they prepare you and what you were can differ as well.

If you're a pt of Dr O, you're pre surgery diet depends on how much weight you need to lose before surgery. Paper G strings all the way and for me - not really nerves - more excitement!

Best,

Lisa

You might want to try www.lapbandtalk.com this site is better suited for questions about general banding guidlines as Dr. Ortiz's guidelines are more conservative then others.

Bottom line is that you need to have a conversation with your doctor's office for their specific guidelines but the site I referenced with give you more of a general idea.

Please I hope you know you are welcome here. This is an amazing board and there are many people who post and read here that have not has surgery at the OCC.

Thanks for all the answers, they have been a help! Also, sorry about that DX I hadn't realized this was for a specific surgeon. Thank you again!

I did not wear anything for my surgery. The thing to remember is that they cover up pretty much everything except the actual area that is being operated on, so more than like you will be covered before the surgeon gets in there anyway.

I had plastic surgery earlier this year and there is nothing more humbling than standing completely naked in front of your surgeon with your arms out to your sides while he is drawing on you with magic markers. After that experience and having him see me naked in a professional manner every visit I have had with him since, I have taken on the attitude that if you are in any way associated with the medical community and you would like to see something just let me know what it is and I'll show it. Heck, he even walked in the other day while I was still undressing and I just didn't care, nor did he. We just struck up a conversation and I just kept peeling off the layers. When it comes to doctors I have lost my modesty and embarrassment as there is absolutely nothing sexual about the experience for me or them.