Do you diet or just eat?

StephC2009

For all of you that have been banded and lost weight successfully; do you follow any particular diet or are you eating whatever you like (just much less of it)? I have always been a diet junky and would love to throw my diet mentality out the window but I am wondering if I will need to go on some sort of plan like WW or something to keep the weight off. Thank you. :)

I am just trying to follow the rules that the OCC gave me and am doing well. Eating healthy , smaller portions, not drinkig with meals and exercising 7 days a week. I personally have cut out junk food and most carbs but I have alot to lose and am determined to do it within one year.

The band is awesome because you feel full quicker and it makes it so much easier with portion control.

Good luck on your decision.

Debbie

Hi Steph,

I don't believe in diets & I follow WW. It's like Debbie said, The band is only going to help with portion control and the rest is up to you. I already made the commitment to changing my eating habits for the rest of my life before getting banded by joining WW and I got the band to help me maintain smaller portions of the right foods. I have found that if I do not have the structure that WW provides and left to my own vices then the band would be a waste of time, energy and money.

In the 3 weeks I have been banded & on liquids & follwoing WW I have thought about and noticed the follwoing things:

1. On WW alone my weight loss averaged 1.5 pounds to 2.0 pounds a week except for my TOM when I would actually gain weight. Being banded & on WW I am loosing and average of 3 pounds per week and I plateaued during my TOM.

2. On WW I was drinking diet coke and eating out, two things I have not done since being banded.

3. Eating within my WW point range before being banded actually helped limit my hung pangs during the liquid phase (dramatically) to the point where I feel completely satisfied and I enjoy the liquids I consume.

4. Being familiar with WW yourself you know there is a lot of emphasis in WW about finding new low point foods that taste incredible and are great substitutions for foods high in fat and calories and I think this emphasis has also help me cope through the "Bandster Hell" phase with a strong sense of grace and calm. There is a peace in knowing that there are viable tips & tricks around temptation that WW has informed you about. I just kept thinking "I can do this because I have been here before and I know that Miso Soup is really low in points, it tastes good and I can drink as much as I need to to feel satisfied"

The above being said I have this theory, WW is going to be my safety net that gets me to my stages of good restriction and then it is going to flip/flop and during times of good restirction my band is going to be my saftey net for WW. Does that make sense? Sort of yin-yang. Right now WW is my safety net and I have it to fall back on.

I guess the take away is that there are two types of people, those who shine brighter with less structure and those who shine brighter with more structure. I happen to be the later (I can't have fun unless I have the rule book on having fun). Do you need more structure or less?

WW even says, if it is too structured and too rigid the less you are to stay on track and that is why you have to decide what works for you. A lot of people do half and half every other day follow a program and in between days go by instinct or follow a program during the week and freestyle it on weekends. There is even this thing called the "Mandi or Mandy Program" and the idea is that you maximize weight loss by switching up how much calories/points you consume from day to day so that your body never gets comfortable or familiar with what you are consuming.

• Like 1

Hi Steph,

I don't believe in diets & I follow WW. It's like Debbie said, The band is only going to help with portion control and the rest is up to you. I already made the commitment to changing my eating habits for the rest of my life before getting banded by joining WW and I got the band to help me maintain smaller portions of the right foods. I have found that if I do not have the structure that WW provides and left to my own vices then the band would be a waste of time, energy and money.

In the 3 weeks I have been banded & on liquids & follwoing WW I have thought about and noticed the follwoing things:

1. On WW alone my weight loss averaged 1.5 pounds to 2.0 pounds a week except for my TOM when I would actually gain weight. Being banded & on WW I am loosing and average of 3 pounds per week and I plateaued during my TOM.

2. On WW I was drinking diet coke and eating out, two things I have not done since being banded.

3. Eating within my WW point range before being banded actually helped limit my hung pangs during the liquid phase (dramatically) to the point where I feel completely satisfied and I enjoy the liquids I consume.

4. Being familiar with WW yourself you know there is a lot of emphasis in WW about finding new low point foods that taste incredible and are great substitutions for foods high in fat and calories and I think this emphasis has also help me cope through the "Bandster Hell" phase with a strong sense of grace and calm. There is a peace in knowing that there are viable tips & tricks around temptation that WW has informed you about. I just kept thinking "I can do this because I have been here before and I know that Miso Soup is really low in points, it tastes good and I can drink as much as I need to to feel satisfied"

The above being said I have this theory, WW is going to be my safety net that gets me to my stages of good restriction and then it is going to flip/flop and during times of good restirction my band is going to be my saftey net for WW. Does that make sense? Sort of yin-yang. Right now WW is my safety net and I have it to fall back on.

I guess the take away is that there are two types of people, those who shine brighter with less structure and those who shine brighter with more structure. I happen to be the later (I can't have fun unless I have the rule book on having fun). Do you need more structure or less?

WW even says, if it is too structured and too rigid the less you are to stay on track and that is why you have to decide what works for you. A lot of people do half and half every other day follow a program and in between days go by instinct or follow a program during the week and freestyle it on weekends. There is even this thing called the "Mandi or Mandy Program" and the idea is that you maximize weight loss by switching up how much calories/points you consume from day to day so that your body never gets comfortable or familiar with what you are consuming.

Excellent Post !!!! :D

For all of you that have been banded and lost weight successfully; do you follow any particular diet or are you eating whatever you like (just much less of it)? I have always been a diet junky and would love to throw my diet mentality out the window but I am wondering if I will need to go on some sort of plan like WW or something to keep the weight off. Thank you. :)

I've only been banded for 2 weeks, but have lost 11.5 pounds. I find that if I keep my calories at 600-800 a day, I can lose weight without exercising (since I can't exercise for 3 weeks). Take in as much protein for the least amount of calories as possible. I also keep my crystal light near by at all times, and sipping all day helps with the hunger. We'll see how long I can keep up this 5 pound a week average. I started at 185.5 and am now 174.

Not suggesting you do this - just letting you know this is what has worked for me.

Katrena

How does WW play into the bandster life? I've done it quite a few times. How are you able to get in enough "right" foods and still hit your points?

I guess it depends on your definition of right. If you ask WW what their definition is the answer will be that you can eat anything you want on WW as long as you count the points. My definition of "right" means I try to eat foods high in fiber and low in fat to maximize how far my 23 points go. For example I know that for dessert I can have a gelatin cup with zero grams of fat and 4 grams of fiber for zero points and top it off with 2 Tbsp of Cool Whip Lite for zero points as well. In terms of being banded the feeling in my chest tells me when to stop (even though I have no fill). For example, Tomato soup is only 1 point for 1 cup so the other night I was going to have 2 cups for dinner but after 1.5 cups the tightness in my chest told me it was time to stop so I just counted the points for 1.5 cups.

From what I have read on lapbandtalk.com after getting fills it is going to be hard to consume the alloted amount of points WW has given me (if I am eating the "right" foods). So for example, right now I get 23 points a day and from what I am reading, I will be lucky if I can consume 20 of those points after fills. This statement though is assuming that I am making the right choices with the band. Let's face it ice cream, milk shakes, frappachinos all go down quite well and it would be very easy to max out points with those. I need to track my WW points to make sure I make the right choices. I am less likely to eat a slice of cheesecake for the Cheesecake Factory if I know it has an equivalent of 22 points (I'd choose the Key lime pie Martini instead for 5 points :lol: ).

When I was at a good restriction I just ate and quit when I was satisfied. I did try to count my proteins though to make sure I was getting enough and also really focused on my water and vitamins. I had to get an unfill so I went back to tracking WW points as they always did me really well in the past. Once you have good restriction it doesn't feel like you are dieting b/c you get full quickly and stay full. So really it's just a matter of making sure you make every bite count. Lots of protein, fruits, veggies, etc...

I'm different than some folks as if I don't get enough calories in I don't lose. I need to be around 1,000 to 1,200 calories to get my weight loss going. When i'm training for a race I need to be closer to 1,500. You just need to tinker with it and find out what works best for you. If I don't get enough calories in my body shuts down and I don't lose.

If I feel like i'm on a diet and am restricted I don't do well. Since my unfill WW is great for me b/c you don't feel like you are on a diet and have lots of choices. Once I get one more fill and get back to where I was restriction wise I won't do points anymore but will keep close track of my nutrition.

Debbie - sounds like you are doing really well. What kind of exercise are you doing every day? Was it hard to cut out carbs? Keep up the great work. :)

Bogiesmom - I like the idea or more rigid rules but I know how I am. I will break them just to rebel. :rolleyes: Anyhow, it sounds like you have a great program working for you. I have done WW many times and I get really obsessive with the points. I wonder if it would be different after having the band? You are also right about using points wisely. If it were up to me on some days I would use all 25 points on a bunch of Double Stuff OREO's. :lol: Thank you for the input.

Katrena - what kind of proteins are you eating?

jhawkchick- thanks for the advice. It sounds like you do somewhat of a South Beach Diet? Lots of healthy protein, fruits and veggies? What kind of races do you train for?

Debbie - sounds like you are doing really well. What kind of exercise are you doing every day? Was it hard to cut out carbs? Keep up the great work. :)

Bogiesmom - I like the idea or more rigid rules but I know how I am. I will break them just to rebel. :rolleyes: Anyhow, it sounds like you have a great program working for you. I have done WW many times and I get really obsessive with the points. I wonder if it would be different after having the band? You are also right about using points wisely. If it were up to me on some days I would use all 25 points on a bunch of Double Stuff OREO's. :lol: Thank you for the input.

jhawkchick- thanks for the advice. It sounds like you do somewhat of a South Beach Diet? Lots of healthy protein, fruits and veggies? What kind of races do you train for?

Hi Steph. I walk 30 -40 minutes a day. I live on the side of a mountain so I walk downhill and then back up. It is a great workout. On days it is raining I walk on my treadmill. I make sure that I do it 7 days a week.

Cutting out carbs was not hard. I think doing the liguid diet post op really helped because I cut out carbs then. I find I am addicted to carbs and sugar. If I leave them alone I don't crave them. If I start eating them I go crazy and go right out of control. So best thing for me right now is to avoid . I do have crackers with my tuna but that is it. I am a woman with a mission and that missions is to be a goal by Oct 2010 so I can take my kids to disneyland and ride all the rides :lol:

Hi Steph. I walk 30 -40 minutes a day. I live on the side of a mountain so I walk downhill and then back up. It is a great workout. On days it is raining I walk on my treadmill. I make sure that I do it 7 days a week.

Cutting out carbs was not hard. I think doing the liguid diet post op really helped because I cut out carbs then. I find I am addicted to carbs and sugar. If I leave them alone I don't crave them. If I start eating them I go crazy and go right out of control. So best thing for me right now is to avoid . I do have crackers with my tuna but that is it. I am a woman with a mission and that missions is to be a goal by Oct 2010 so I can take my kids to disneyland and ride all the rides :lol:

I did a 4 mile run in Sept and now i'm training for a 5 mile race in March. Got a friend that wants me to do a 1/2 marathon w/ her in Oct, but i'm not sure I am really up for that. We shall see!

I don't do Atkins so much - I still eat some pasta and potatoes. Protein and fiber keeps you full, so that is why I focus on those. I also try to get all my nutrients in with those fruits and veggies. You don't get many calories each day, so I try to make them all count. The taking out bread and rice was really because I now can't get them down I get sick on them, but it's good to limit them anyway. Since my unfill I can do them again, but I only let myself have whole wheat bread and I limit it quite a bit. Hopefully after I can get another fill and get my resriction back bread won't be an option anymore.

I did WW forever and it is awesome. With this band though, I didnt want to feel like I was on a diet and with WW for me, I felt like I was. I keep track of my calories through out the day which is easy since the restriction is there. What also has helped was figuring out how much I burn on an average day. I'm between 1800 and 2100 depending on my activity. I know then that if I keep it 500-1000 calories under that, I'll lose about 1-2 pounds a week.

• 2 weeks later...

I am just trying to follow the rules that the OCC gave me and am doing well. Eating healthy , smaller portions, not drinkig with meals and exercising 7 days a week. I personally have cut out junk food and most carbs but I have alot to lose and am determined to do it within one year.

The band is awesome because you feel full quicker and it makes it so much easier with portion control.

Good luck on your decision.

Debbie

Me again...........

What do you eat for breakfast most days?

I don't count or restrict anything, which has been the greatest thing about having the band! I have not lost weight as fast as most of the ladies on this forum, so please keep that in mind. For me, the best thing about the band is forgetting I have it and eating whatever I want til I'm full and stopping. Everyone is different though and you have to find what works for you.

I don't look at it as a diet. More of a lifestyle change for me. I don't eat certain foods now at all that I use to, and find I eat a large variety of foods that I had not tried before. It's been interesting. Before I was banded, I was not a high protein gal. I ate a lot more bread and carbs. That has really changed. My main focus is on protein.

I live with this band, and look at this as a way I will live for the rest of my life. So really I don't consider myself dieting. I've always had a negative reaction to food logging and counting calories. Now, I can and will do both. I am not 100% committed, but am more willing than ever before.

I've gained some weight over the holiday, which is not a huge suprise to me since I am allowing myself to enjoy the holiday like any other holiday. It doesn't feel great to report a gain, but it's a choice I made. Living the bandster lifestyle to me means I will have ups and downs. So far it has proven to be true.

I didn't see much weight loss until I build up my level of restriction either.

• Like 3

Well, I cut out all sodas, pasta, bread and rice. I have tried whole wheat tortilla and it got stuck so I quit that too.

However, I do workout quite a bit and I have a trainer I see twice a month. This all keeps my in check.

I do focus on proteins at all my meals. It is not that I am on Atkins or anything, I just follow the bandster food lists that I was given and then found some more on the internet.