Interesting Article

I work in higher education so when this came across my email I was saddened, amazed, and all that. Thought I would share:

http://chronicle.com/article/Lincoln-U-Requires-Its/49223/?sid=at&utm_source=at&utm_medium=en

• Like 1

I work in higher education so when this came across my email I was saddened, amazed, and all that. Thought I would share:

http://chronicle.com...t&utm_medium=en

Sadly part of the larger picture of getting this surgery had to do with the fear that sooner or later my insurance (health coverage) would not cover me or make me pay an inflated rate, much like a tobacco user. Now, with the Obama administration, I am not so sure heath care will be moving that direction. It was only a facit of why I wanted to have surgery, but it played a part.

I personaly think it is both good and bad. Sad and a happy change. It is hard to be told you are over weight. The subject is sticky and I can see both view points.

Thanks Shelby for sharing this article.

Thanks for the article. It is a very itriguing subject that can be effectively argued both ways. To be honest I sort of wish USC (Private University) would have has something like this mandated when I was in school. But that is a whole other topic.

Anyway, I love this comment posted on the article:

1. midwife85 - November 20, 2009 at 07:38 am

And how does the university plan to deal with anorexics and bulemics who are equally likely to be un-healthy?

Very good point and I agree - what are they doing about the other folks with eating disorders? I guess my issue is I like the idea of the class, but why is not everyone taking it? I know many folks that are at what is considered a good BMI but are very healthy - thin doesn't equal healthy. Why point out those with a high BMI and require them to pay for an additional course. When I was in college everyone had to take a health class plus on additional activity class. I had no problem with it - I liked the idea of wholistic education. But I don't like the idea of pointing out only certain folks.

I read that due to scrutiny they are now considering changing their regulation. Will be interesting to see!