Why would it be different for a man?

Is malpractice insurance different from one town in my state from another town in that same state? I'm guessing that it's not.

Not that I know of, but living on the MO/KS state line, it is different from state to state. There was talk around here a couple of years ago about how many doctor's were choosing to practice in MO as opposed to KS because of the malpractice insurance.

In my opinion it is the surgeons preference as to whether or not they will take on the patient. When I was doing my calling around the area to each bariatic program, I found this to be true.

The first apt I had with my new surgeon here, she reviewed my chart and took a picture of my band for my file. The picture was to show that at the time of my 1st fill my band was in place and A-OK. Which it was and I knew it would be. The surgeon I choose told me up front the cost, packages and all that jazz.

I love the program I am in here in Omaha. I would recommend them to anyone!

Angie,

You are so blessed that you found this to be the case. Here in southern california, I find that 9 out of 10 will not take me due to being banded in Mexico. I can think of only 1 doctor out of the dozen I called who's office said he would take me at $350.00 cash per fill. The other option was fill centers USA in Huntington Beach (An hour away without traffic) and they are overpriced without Flouro. Which brings up the fact that I have not been able to find ANY Fluoro in Los Angeles!!! Can you believe it?...zlitch. We do not have a lot of things though like Silver Spoons, Cici's Pizza & Pasta, Wal Mart (not that I would shop there), Fresh & Easy, etc. It is so weird how I would have to drive/fly to Las Vegas to get a fill under Fluoro.

Are you with Weight Loss Surgical Center in Omaha?

Hi Andrea - Actually I have been going to the University Of Nebraska Medical Center. When I was checking everyone out, they had the best program and for that matter rates. Plus they use floro everytime. No blind fills. I was looking for that as well. I do feel fortunate to go to a center of excellence and have such awesome care. I go in each month of a nurse visit and have had a good experience with all of the staff.

I really think it depends on how much fat you have internally clinging onto and around your stomach. As you loose weight and body fat, the first fat you'll loose is that fat hanging onto your stomach. That's why we need a fill so soon. I've never heard that men require less fills than females. I really think thats BS. Everyone is different, why Dr. Ortiz picks one size band versus another is why he's the surgeon and I'm not. There could be numerous reasons why I got a 4cc band versus another patient got a 10cc band. I was banded almost 3 years ago, band criteria has changed since I was banded. Maybe the 4cc band is no longer available, I don't know. Like I said, bigger bands are being used in the states, maybe it's for many reasons? One, to eliminate the restriction right after surgery. The other is that in the USA, your lap band surgeon can ding the insurance company a few more times before you achive restriction. Also, there's always the possibility the 4cc band is no longer the best choice to use and its being phased out? I can't speak for your surgeon. I can't say why a surgeon uses one band or another. Plus, things change over time, some to the good and some are questionable. Since I was banded using the bigger band might be the best thing for patients. Lap band surgeons and Inamed have learned alot since I was banded and maybe the 4cc band isn't the best choice anymore. I know that every clinic that specializes in banding, they want you, as a patient, to be successful. They all live on their reputation and want you to succeed. Patients that succeed tell their friends and others that the band works. I know in the area I live in, the surgeons slowly bring a patient to restriction when they could do it the first time they adjust a patients band via using a fluoroscope and a barium swallow. Why they do blind fills and spoon feed the saline to the patients band is my theory of milking the insurance company for more money. I guess we'll have to see what Dr. Ortiz has to say about this. But, I love this kind of debate, this is why this forum and many others are on the web, to bring questions like this to the front and have a nice friendly debate,, OH I JUST LOVE THIS KIND OF DEBATE!!!

Well, this is a very interesting post. My scenario is very different, but I had my surgery a little over 3 years ago and had it in Central America. I never needed a fill!!!!! The first month after your surgery there you cannot eat, only the yogurt, soft type stuff and I lost 27 lbs in that first month with no problem. Also, didn't have that much weight to loose, about 45-50 lbs and it was gone in a couple of months with no effort at all. Yes, I couldn't eat anywhere near the amount I could eat prior to the band, but I could eat whatever I wanted and lose the weight!!! Before I left Central America in late 2007 (one year after the surgery) saw the doc and said to do a fill. I was getting greedy. I was at a good point, went from a size 18-20 or so to a size 8 and I am 5 ft. 11 inches, so pretty thin. He did the fill (even though he thought I was crazy) and I felt more restriction, but I didn't loose any more weight. In fact this is when I started very slowly to gain. Then within a few months is when I had the port problem, etc. and ended up with no restriction for over a year and gained back most of my weight. Now after having a couple of fills, and an un-fill, I have probably too much restriction as I puke a lot and have a lot of trouble eating, but have lost about 20-25 lbs so will be back to where I was in about 20 pounds. I'm afraid to have an un-fill as I've lost weight, but I know I puke way too much. I'm assuming I had a 4 cc band even though my doctor here in the states didn't mention that option, he said 9.5 or 10 I believe, but I only have about 1.5 or 2 cc's in my band and he said he felt a lot of restriction when putting it in and asked if I was sure I wanted it, so that would explain it I guess. I will mention that to him when I see him. Very interesting!!!

Thanks for all the info.

Zoey:)