Grrrrrrrrrrr! Whoa is me...want to stab myself.

Here I am 4-5 days post-op and I spent the afternoon making fudge, rice krispy treats, chocolate peanut cluster and now I am making chix parmesian for my family for dinner tomnight. I am not hungry but the head hunger is KILLING me.

I would love some words of encouragement right now. There is no way I will touch any of the stuff but cooking it and watching everyone else enjoy is making me CRAZY!!! :o

I feel you pain, this time last year I was 1 week post op. I got lucky though and we ended up with over a foot of snow so my Xmas dinner plans at my mom's got cancelled and I stayed home with no temptation instead of driving for an hour and a half and having to avoid food. but then between Xmas and New Year I did a ton of baking to give to my family. You'll make it, just take it one step at a time. Remember to put all the used baking bowls and utensils directly into soapy water to avoid those little tastes.

All the effort and difficulty is totally worth it though. I think that Xmas time is perfect for surgery for a lot of people because they have extra time off to heal properly. Besides you certainly won't be gaining any weight this Xmas :)

Take care

Louise

Hey Steph,

Here are some ideas:

Step away from the kitchen...

1. Order gourmet baked goods for the family instead.

2. Have extended family members & friends show their support by baking goods for your family.

3. Get the family involved in the baking process is 90% of the fun! Have kids bake up their own goodies under adult supervision. Never too early to learn even if it is just cracking an egg or measuring milk.

1A. Have your hubby take on an accent and mimick the lady from the Yoplait commercial and whisper in your ear every so often: "There's no such thing as a bear sheriff." (sounds corny but this really, really works!

1B. Write down this phrase on paper and stick the papers all over the house (even on the bathroom mirror) "Nothing tastes as good as being skinny feels."

And when all else fails have the proper ingediants on hand for the perfect coctail that makes you feel you are treating yourself to something sinful. My stash for example is vodka, vermouth, pomegranate mixer, mango mixer, marachino cherries, bag of ice, blender, & martini shaker.

Lots of love to you :wub:

Here I am 4-5 days post-op and I spent the afternoon making fudge, rice krispy treats, chocolate peanut cluster and now I am making chix parmesian for my family for dinner tomnight. I am not hungry but the head hunger is KILLING me.

I would love some words of encouragement right now. There is no way I will touch any of the stuff but cooking it and watching everyone else enjoy is making me CRAZY!!! :o

That is tough. My encouragement would be two things.

#1 - be in control of your situations. This will eliminate the insatiable need to patrol your kitchen like a shark (we all do it in the beginning) and will also make you stop needlessly/blindly cooking enough food for an army.

#2. I had the head hunger for a solid 3-4 months before it began to wane. Once you hit the fill you need to be at to eliminate your physical hunger, the mental hunger will begin to go away as well and will allow you to make conscious decisions.

Keep your chin up and a smile on your face.

i can't give you much support, as I challenge with head hunger all the time, but I know I can't make 'naughty' food anymore - no more baking, or cooking things I can't eat with a clear conscience :) This prevents any temptation!

I second what Lindsay just said. My excessive cooking has come to a nice slow idle. IF I can't(OR SHOULDN'T) eat it...I rarely make it even for the family. I now cook alot of "clean" foods, which are just better all around.

I'm no help, but I feel your pain. I am not also hungry, but the mental hunger really gets to me alot of the times. My favorite of all is Tamales and we made them today oh my goodness I almost just went to my room to just go to sleep so I wouldn't have to think about it. WE CAN DO THIS !!!!

I'm no help, but I feel your pain. I am not also hungry, but the mental hunger really gets to me alot of the times. My favorite of all is Tamales and we made them today oh my goodness I almost just went to my room to just go to sleep so I wouldn't have to think about it. WE CAN DO THIS !!!!

Been there! I go to our bedroom to be away from the sights and smells of food I know I can't tolerate or shouldn't eat. I'm not strong enough to watch others enjoy it--smacking their lips, licking their fingers, talking about how delicious it is, and constantly asking, "are you sure you can't have just one bite?".

Ugh i'm sorry! I was already through my 21 days by the holidays, but I had no fill so was in bandster hell trying not to eat too much. And, with a family that shoves food down your throat and questions why you aren't eating more. So I can relate. I agree on the getting someone else to cook and I also kept myself really busy to stay away from the food. Kept mingling around the house talking always w/ a drink in my hand and helped get the gifts ready for the kids and things like that.

You can do it! Keep up the great work!

Thank you everyone for the words of advice and encouragement. I made it through the night but I did have a glass of wine because I felt like I wasn't so deprived. Anyhow, it definitely paid off. I woke up this morning 2 lbs. less on the scale. :ph34r:

Genie - that is a good idea to just go to the bedroom. Have you scheduled your first fill yet?

I am making Christmas dinner for everyone and I changed the menu from traditional Thanksgiving dinner (which I love) to rack of lamb (which grosses me out). lol It will definitely makes things easier. My mother-in-law was so sweet and even suggested that we just eat leftovers or nothing at all to make it easier for me. I am not going to make everyone else suffer on Christmas for my sake.

Bogiesmom - having a glass of wine definitely makes me feel like I am getting some sort of treat. :)

This coming weekend we are going to my families house for a huge feast on the 26th. No biggie there either as my sister is making prime rib which I do not like and my mom said she is going to do the liquid diet with me while we are there to support me. :)