Newbie needing input

Hi, I am new to this group and hope to gain some very good information. My case is somewhat different than the others here, but hoping your expertise can help. I had lap-band surgery done in October,206 with excellent results and no problems until after the first year. After the first year my port needed to be re-attached (this was only detected after many ER visits, hospital stays, removal of gallbladder, etc). The incision from the port re-attachment never healed properly after a number of tries with antibiotics, etcs. Therefore that port was removed and we let this incision that wasn't closed heal properly. Then months later, I believe in May, 2009 a new port was inserted. Seemed fine in the beginning and healed then after my first fill the incision wouldn't heal back up. Still to this date, it will heal, then open up, etc. Anyone else with these types of problems. It is very irritating. Also I am vomiting a fair amount, how often is okay, etc. I just feel if a do an unfill that I won't loose anything. I haven't lost much since the last fill. I only have about 2 cc of saline in there now which I know isn't much. Please help, I need some information from you professionals on this topic.

Thanks, and good luck to all.

Oh forgot to mention that my band had been non-functional for well over a year and I gained weight back and am now working to get rid of it the second time. Don't want this to happen again. The first time losing was extremely easy this time not so.

Zoey

Lidsay,

Why do you bother to be on this forum, you always seem so irratated and annoyed by the post, please chill out and stop being such a B***h.

Thank you, I was surprised by the response as well. Oh well. When I said professionals, I didn't mean it like medical professionals, I meant like professionals on the topic. Hope this helps. Just wanted to gain some input from people who have talked to many and done much research on lapband, thats all.

Zoey:)

Thank you, I was surprised by the response as well. Oh well. When I said professionals, I didn't mean it like medical professionals, I meant like professionals on the topic. Hope this helps. Just wanted to gain some input from people who have talked to many and done much research on lapband, thats all.

As a side note, you've started 2 threads, asking the exact same thing.

While I can understand you're looking for 'advice', what you're asking for is something no one here is qualified to do. What you're describing sounds extremely serious.

I gave you a reply when you asked this question the first time. I'm assuming you didn't like the response, so you started a new thread, asking the same thing.

• Like 1

NO ONE SHOULD BE GIVING MEDICAL ADVICE.

Did you ask for it cause if so I missed it?

As a side note, you've started 2 threads, asking the exact same thing.

While I can understand you're looking for 'advice', what you're asking for is something no one here is qualified to do. What you're describing sounds extremely serious.

I gave you a reply when you asked this question the first time. I'm assuming you didn't like the response, so you started a new thread, asking the same thing.

No, I didn't see your response. That was my first post and I went to find it and couldn't so figured I screwed something up and it didn't get posted (just tried to find it again before responding and couldn't). I'm just looking to chat with others who may have had similar issues. I've never been on a lapband forum in the past, but have on other topics and found them to be extremely helpful. Just a bunch of people in the same "boat" sharing information. That is all that I am looking for. I've seen my doctor several times for this and he is stumped as well. I think it was pretty obvious by my post that I've seen the doctor as I mentioned a couple of different surgeries! Sorry that you seem to be having a bad day!

• Like 2

I hope you find the answer to your question and good luck!

Zoey,

Just don't respond to Lindsay, I was banded on 12/11/09 and come to this forum for support and info. Lidsay seems to be the only person I have ran across with an ugly attitude and bitchy post. Everyone else seems great so please don't let this discourage you from sharing or asking questions.

Good luck

Zoey,

Just don't respond to Lindsay, I was banded on 12/11/09 and come to this forum for support and info. Lidsay seems to be the only person I have ran across with an ugly attitude and bitchy post. Everyone else seems great so please don't let this discourage you from sharing or asking questions.

Good luck

Thanks for that information, I was so surprised and thought WOW, maybe not a place I want to be. Thanks for the inside information. How have things been going for you so far? I hope awesome. I didn't have a lot of weight to lose compared to most, but it was so easy and the best thing I've ever done until I started to have some problems which I believe will be corrected in time.

Thanks again and have a great day!

Zoey,

Thank you for asking, I think I'm doing good, I have a low bmi compared to some so sometimes it's hard to gage because I will lose a little slower. I don't feel much restriction but am using all my past dieting experience to my advantage at this point. I get my first fill on 1/22/10 and am scared to death because I HATE needles lol..... I have lost 14 lbs since being banded :)

I really wish you well, I hope you get better soon.

Tamara

Zoey, I am just wondering... You are not diabetic are you? I would hope that the doctors made sure that was not part of the problem. Please continue to post. That's why we are here, to lend some support.

No, I am not diabetic. They have said that for some strange reason my body may just be rejecting the port. Now, originally I did have a bad infection after they re-attached the original port. Had that surgery in Guatemala and think that is how I got the original infection. When the doctor cultured it at the time of port removal he said it was indicative of the band eroding into my stomach, but the testing didn't show that and he even repeated it. He really is at a loss. I was so excited when the incision originally healed perfectly, thinking okay now we are fine. Well to my surprise it opened back up. The good news is, before the opening of the incision was always draining making it necessary for me to keep it covered, at least at this point there is no or very minimal draining so it isn't as inconvenient as it was before. My doctor was telling me that they are working on a procedure to do adjustments without the port that hasn't been approved yet. He said I would be the perfect candidate for that. Not sure how long off they are from that. I keep a close eye on things and we will see what progresses. Thanks again for your input.

Zoey

Zoey,

Thank you for asking, I think I'm doing good, I have a low bmi compared to some so sometimes it's hard to gage because I will lose a little slower. I don't feel much restriction but am using all my past dieting experience to my advantage at this point. I get my first fill on 1/22/10 and am scared to death because I HATE needles lol..... I have lost 14 lbs since being banded :)

I really wish you well, I hope you get better soon.

Tamara

Thank you Tamara and keep up the good work. I never had a fill until I had lost all my weight. I got greedy and wanted to do a little more. I lost all mine with just the surgery and felt very little restriction. I am same as you with a low bmi as well. I hope the fill goes well for you. I lost 27 lbs my first month and a total of about 50 I guess and was doing great and loving life. Then when my port came un-attached and wasn't functional gained almost all of it back. Have lost about half of my original loss and still working on it. It has been much slower this time and I vomit all the time. I'm afraid to have an unfill thinking that I will start to gain.

I'll be interested in hearing how your fill goes. It really is no big deal, but just don't watch since you are afraid of needles.

Zoey

Had that surgery in Guatemala and think that is how I got the original infection. When the doctor cultured it at the time of port removal he said it was indicative of the band eroding into my stomach, but the testing didn't show that and he even repeated it.

What brand of band do you have?

Where you given a serial # of your band?

The reason I ask, is because I do know that there are stories floating around doctors in *some* South American countries implanting 'no frills' bands.

• Like 1

No, I am not diabetic. They have said that for some strange reason my body may just be rejecting the port. Now, originally I did have a bad infection after they re-attached the original port. Had that surgery in Guatemala and think that is how I got the original infection. When the doctor cultured it at the time of port removal he said it was indicative of the band eroding into my stomach, but the testing didn't show that and he even repeated it. He really is at a loss. I was so excited when the incision originally healed perfectly, thinking okay now we are fine. Well to my surprise it opened back up. The good news is, before the opening of the incision was always draining making it necessary for me to keep it covered, at least at this point there is no or very minimal draining so it isn't as inconvenient as it was before. My doctor was telling me that they are working on a procedure to do adjustments without the port that hasn't been approved yet. He said I would be the perfect candidate for that. Not sure how long off they are from that. I keep a close eye on things and we will see what progresses. Thanks again for your input.

Zoey

This was one of my fears, still to this day being banded 19 days later, I feel my issues are going to come from the port. You didnt have any signs that your port needed to be re-attached?..Im so scared of my port, I dont ven like how i can feel it,I hope that feeling goes away!...Ps, please ignore the responses that you dont like!

This was one of my fears, still to this day being banded 19 days later, I feel my issues are going to come from the port. You didnt have any signs that your port needed to be re-attached?..Im so scared of my port, I dont ven like how i can feel it,I hope that feeling goes away!...Ps, please ignore the responses that you dont like!

Hi and thanks for the note. I know exactly when the port came un-attached. I felt it and subsequently had many hospital and ER visits and even had my gallbladder removed because they didn't know why I was having the pain. Before this time, I couldn't feel my port and their were no issues. It was only after I had the port re-attached that it all started. Since that time, however, my port actually protrudes from my abdominal area and is felt very easily. After the surgery when they put the port back in I had a fair amount of pain for awhile after the surgery that I didn't think would be normal. It is so frustrating for me. All these surgeries, all these hospital visits, etc. and still not totally resolved.

Hope you don't have the same problems that I have.

Good luck to you,

woooowie... i just came to read the post, i really don't have an answer for ya sweetie. im very new to the forum.. but wow! someone needs a hug

Thanks so much. I'm really doing fine, it has been going on so long it is just a part of life at this point for me. Just would like it to be OVER already!!!!

Thanks again and good luck to you.

Hi Zoey, I am a nurse and I am wondering if your doctor has talked about sending you to a infection control doc? If not you might think about seeing what your doctors opinion is on seeing one. Is the doctor taking care of you your surgeon who did the lapband surgery or is him or her your primary care doctor that you see for any type of illness? Also where did you have your band placed, in the USA or out of the country? Also you said your doctor cultured the site, I am assuming they cultured for staph?

I am just curious.

Hope you find some relief,

dawn

• Like 1

Hi Zoey, I am a nurse and I am wondering if your doctor has talked about sending you to a infection control doc? If not you might think about seeing what your doctors opinion is on seeing one. Is the doctor taking care of you your surgeon who did the lapband surgery or is him or her your primary care doctor that you see for any type of illness? Also where did you have your band placed, in the USA or out of the country? Also you said your doctor cultured the site, I am assuming they cultured for staph?

I am just curious.

Hope you find some relief,

dawn

Dawn:

Thanks for the info. I had my surgery done in Guatemala and was seeing a doctor here in the states who has been following me. I don't know if he cultured it for staph, but I would also assume that. He has never talked about having me see an infection control doc. I have been on so many antibiotics and nothing seemed to make a difference. When I had the port re-attached in Guatemala 2 years after the surgery (approx) a hematoma formed and then started the problems with the incision never healing. Back then I had a lot of discharge from the site and had to keep it covered at all times. At least now that isn't the case and the opening is very small when it is open. When the doc took me off the antibiotics, I went on the Celebrex and it healed right up and he said well I always thought it was just inflamation, but seems like if I stop the Celebrex it opens up again. I have no pain at the area and no other symptoms.

He told me I just might need to have the port removed. I want to avoid that if I can as I paid cash for my surgery and want this to work for me. I want to exhaust all possibilities before I go to that measure.

Thanks for your help.

Going in for a second opinion is always a smart option.

I’d recommend calling the OCC and seeing Dr. Ortiz, there would be a cost (but his prices are much less than in the States) but he’s one of the best – we all went to him and I’ve been on this board for years and this does sound unusual. He’ proctored many of the lapband Dr’s in the states and throughout the world. One thing you’ll notice is many of his patients are Dr’s and nurses. That’s telling you a lot.

Good luck,

Lisa